It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just in case anyone is still interested in a disaster NOT in the US.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
A thread that should have more attention but of course doesn't because it's not in the US. (Not my thread BTW) Thank you MariaLida

www.abovetopsecret.com...

6.8 EQ in China where a few thousand people might be reported dead very soon. 100 so far and climbing.

2013-04-20 00:02:53.012min ago 30.19 N 103.05 E 15 6.7 WESTERN SICHUAN, CHINA
Magnitude Mw 6.9
Region WESTERN SICHUAN, CHINA
Date time 2013-04-20 00:02:49.0 UTC
Location 30.27 N ; 102.90 E
Depth 20 km
Distances 1065 km N of Hà Nội, Vietnam / pop: 1,431,270 / local time: 07:02:49.0 2013-04-20
120 km W of Chengdu, China / pop: 3,950,437 / local time: 08:02:49.0 2013-04-20
93 km E of Kangding, China / pop: 100,000 / local time: 08:02:49.0 2013-04-20

Not Good... Lots of shoddy housing in this area. From bad construction and materials on high rises and apartments to adobe housing. Update 00:49 UTC : WAPMERR, the theoretical damage engine has calculated that based on M6.9 and 16 km depth there will be 400 to 3500 fatalities and thousands of injured. Let’s hope that they are wrong !

Just in case anyone is waking up...

www.bbc.co.uk...

China quake: 'Hundreds feared dead or hurt' in Sichuan

Hundreds of people may have been killed or injured after an earthquake in China's western Sichuan province, state media report. The US Geological Survey (USGS) said the quake, which had a 6.6 magnitude, was centred 80km (50 miles) west of the town of Linqiong. It said the tremor occurred at a depth of 12.3km (7.6 miles). The area is prone to tremors. An 8.0 magnitude quake in Sichuan in May 2008 killed nearly 90,000 people.

Peace

edit on 19-4-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I understand what you are saying.
But most of ATS does live in the US, so it is to be expected.

And maybe it's just me, and my deficiency of knowledge about China, but that place just seems really large and mostly unknown. Then add in all the negative propaganda that is pushed on the public about China, and you can see how a lack of interest results.

Lastly, I think people have become very jaded and desensitized to news about earthquakes, to the point that anything under an 8 is regarded as inconsequential. Despite the dense population and lack of building codes of some areas effected.

But yeah, the more globally diverse news and discussions we can produce here, the better off ATS as a community will be.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Oh wow. The world just feels like it's turned upside down! Unbelievable.

Thoughts and Blessings to those over in China.

It's just surreal. One thing after another.

Cirque
edit on 19-4-2013 by CirqueDeTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
It could be a mess for sure and as I think your drive is our collective focal point I'm at a loss to explain it. I live in a bad place in terms of seismic zones and one day, what goes down here will go down and many of us won't be on the other side. The event will collect many prayers and thoughts from around the planet but if a nuke goes off next in the timeline, we will quickly be forgotten by the community at large be it web based or what have you. I'm wondering why the run of almost 8's and 7's, 6's of late?

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
How DARE YOU not start a Boston thread!

But on a serious note, I noticed a lot of EQ activity revently in that region. I hope everyone is safe and sound.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I read about this a little while ago, and was surprised to see that it seemed to get so little attention from ATS. I always check here after I get an alert, and usually it's already a hot topic.
Sounds like a nasty one, lots of people affected. As always, thoughts and prayers - although lately those don't seem to matter much. Crazy crazy goings on these last few weeks. The world can't seem to catch a break....

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Some strong earthquakes happening these last weeks.

Pakistan-Iran, New Guinea, Japan and today Russia and China. All relatively strong.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleVortex

But on a serious note, I noticed a lot of EQ activity revently in that region. I hope everyone is safe and sound.

If I titled this thread " China and Boston" it would have about 20 flags by now.

Just disappointed in the ATS crowd these days. We are about the World...not the US.

Peace

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

S&F I read about this earlier today. As for our pre-occupation with ourselves, blame human nature.
Of course, we're self-centered -- so is almost everyone else (unless you're a saint).

I'm sure the Red Chinese are far more interested in their "tragedy-of-the-moment" than in ours.
The scale of their current tragedy is larger than ours, but at least it was NOT caused "on purpose."
They can't arrest Mother Nature.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by hououinkyouma
Some strong earthquakes happening these last weeks.

Pakistan-Iran, New Guinea, Japan and today Russia and China. All relatively strong.

Sounds very ominous. What's next?

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

If I titled this thread " China and Boston" it would have about 20 flags by now.

Just disappointed in the ATS crowd these days. We are about the World...not the US.

Peace

That's not fair Jude. There are many, many Americans who care about the world in a universal, and humanitarian way on this board.

I don't know what part of the world your from, but I dare say there is no place in the world who's country wasn't gripped by a horrific terrifying act! Remember how you felt? Your parent felt? The fear you felt for those you knew in that area? Or just that co-worker you knew, who has a relative in that area?

But yes. The world feels like it's in a perfect storm coming at us from mother nature and human nature!

Right now in Michigan we are having severe and dangerous flooding. For newly two weeks it's been raining! News says we are finally about to see the sun again.

Cirque

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by CirqueDeTruth

Peace

That's not fair Jude. There are many, many Americans who care about the world in a universal, and humanitarian way on this board.

I don't know what part of the world your from, but I dare say there is no place in the world who's country wasn't gripped by a horrific terrifying act! Remember how you felt? Your parent felt? The fear you felt for those you knew in that area? Or just that co-worker you knew, who has a relative in that area?

But yes. The world feels like it's in a perfect storm coming at us from mother nature and human nature!

Right now in Michigan we are having severe and dangerous flooding. For newly two weeks it's been raining! News says we are finally about to see the sun again.

Cirque

I'm in Canada and although I understood Boston and felt the same as many others, I also kept a watch on the rest of the World.

Not fair?

Compare the deaths in Boston to what is now unfolding in China. The 100's of more deaths in other areas of the World (many by US hands) and then look at the coverage on the MSM. One step further to the feeding frenzy on ATS...Gotta have those stars and flags right?

Now let's talk about unfairness. Not for me but for the 99% of the other tragedies that happened over the last 24 hours that received no coverage, not even a mention. What about those that deserve just a small percentage of notice?

Nope...Boston is the center of the universe from what I see.

Unfair? Not so sure.

Peace

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Yeah but this is a conspiracy site and guess where people are waving flags of conspiracy at?

I'm American and I took notice. I also know that China and Japan's relations over that island being disputed over is tense. That things are still tense in North Korea. That thankfully Lady Margaret's funeral has passed with zero violence. That war zones still rage on. That a National Press Club conference on Disclosure is scheduled for the end of the month.

I'm American.

Blessings,
Cirque

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   

reply to post by jude11

Yeah but this is a conspiracy site and guess where people are waving flags of conspiracy at?

I'm American and I took notice. I also know that China and Japan's relations over that island being disputed over is tense. That things are still tense in North Korea. That thankfully Lady Margaret's funeral has passed with zero violence. That war zones still rage on. That a National Press Club conference on Disclosure is scheduled for the end of the month.

I'm American.

Blessings,
Cirque

You took notice but how many other Americans did the same?

That's my question.

My observation? Not many.

Peace

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   

reply to post by jude11

I'm American.

Blessings,
Cirque

You took notice but how many other Americans did the same?

That's my question.

My observation? Not many.

Peace

Well you and I are more aware of things I suppose.

A lot of Americans live in a bubble. Simply preoccupied with their own lives and own interests. The average American is very preoccupied with - well - themselves. I wish everyone cared more too. I don't know why there are so few of those with a wider radius of compassion, and a greater concern for the overall picture. But I take pleasure in meeting those who care, like you - even though we are few and far between.

Cirque

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Jude, I am an American and I did, but I'll probably be called an American hater or something because of it.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
The first thing I do every day at 5:30 am is turn on the laptop get a cup of coffee and check the
World Earthquake maps. My family is sick of it.
I did see the China quake at about 13min.after it posted but lost connection then power for
a couple of hrs 'cause of bad storms.
Just got back up.
Will check things out now

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Just went to : www.abovetopsecret.com...
Quake Watch 2013 at Fragile Earth
and they were / are on top of it over there.
They got the stats. and the populations situation.

We do care

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
reply to post by jude11

I understand what you are saying.
But most of ATS does live in the US, so it is to be expected.

And maybe it's just me, and my deficiency of knowledge about China, but that place just seems really large and mostly unknown. Then add in all the negative propaganda that is pushed on the public about China, and you can see how a lack of interest results.

Lastly, I think people have become very jaded and desensitized to news about earthquakes, to the point that anything under an 8 is regarded as inconsequential. Despite the dense population and lack of building codes of some areas effected.

But yeah, the more globally diverse news and discussions we can produce here, the better off ATS as a community will be.

Anyone actually have a breakdown of ATS membership by country? It seems like there are a lot of poster OUTSIDE of the US, particularly in British Commonwealth countries.

And as far as China being really big and unknown. It's no bigger than the US, and the only reason for it to be "unkown" is personal ignorance on the part of any individual. There's plenty of info out there on the place, believe it or not. You might try starting with google maps to locate where this EQ occurred -- or the USGS EQ website, which provides a global map of seismicity.

As for being jaded about earthquakes, I'd think people would be more jaded about terrorist attacks. Besides which, this one in Boston was penny ante in terms of the number of deaths compared to the bombing in an Iraqi cafe that killed 24 people in the last couple of days -- not to mention that there has been a string of high body count explosions in Iraq lately.

Clearly 'Murikens are really self-centered and mostly only care about what happens in their backyard. As a card-carrying 'Muriken, I have every right to state this obvious fact.

Like the US media, it seems all the ATS sheeple have nothing better to do than whip themselves into a frothy frenzy about this bombing and talk about nothing else of consequence. And look how the 'Muriken authorities reacted: they virtually closed Boston down! Obama lied and said the terrorists didn't succeed in intimidating America. Then what do you call it when a major city is closed down, and thousands of LEO's are brought in for a manhunt of 1 or 2 persons?

Back to the earthquake and other important news outside of the US, there was also a deadly 7.8 EQ in Iran in the past week that little information has been provided about by the MSM. And then there were the 11 children and another dozen innocent adults killed by US/NATO forces in Afghanistan in an airstrike last week. Again, very little information about, it. Just like with the reports that just came out condemning the Obama administration and the MSM for how they have covered up the torture perpetrated by the Bush II regime.

But ATS has gawd-knows how many threads on the Boston Marathon bombing and perhaps one or two on any of these other topics. Not to mention that most of the BM bombing threads are all conspiracy conjecture -- just like when Sandy Hook occurred. 'Murikens live for this crap.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by MrInquisitive

-Yes, there are many countries represented here. With large numbers from the UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand and lots of others, but the bulk are from the US.

-Thanks, but I know how to go about researching a topic. Thank you for your keen insight. The thing is, I don't care about China, so I'm not motivated to spend time learning about them.

-I have said the same thing, attacks like Boston happen every day. And the attackers are much more efficient at it. But it happens everyday and has become expected.

Yup, everyone wants to get their piece of Boston, give it another day or two now that the guy was captured and things will start to go back to normal. The media frenzy will continue as long as the establishment can use it to their advantage, then they will find something new to distract the masses with.

Ooh, the NFL draft is next week. Sorry what were we talking about?....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join