It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feeling of dread and hopelessness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Upon the news at 3am and then again this morning as it became clear that Bush would take Ohio, I was overcome with rage, hopelessness and dread. I thought to myself that perhaps America should split into the two countries it really is. Then everyone could have the progress they so desparately want and so richly deserve.

The Republican, Religious Right, Big Business party could have it's half of the company and spend time legislating morality and making big business deals. They could outsource their jobs, privatize their half of social security and use their half of the armed services for any wars they see fit.

The Democrat, Libertarian, Common Man, Keep it at home, Help the poor man up, Family is what you make it half could live in peace, keep our jobs in the community, use our half of the services to fight wars where we're attacked or believe peace-keeping missions are necessary, and keep our social security structured so that the youth of today pays for the elderly of today.

In this way, we could stop spending so much money fighting each other on partisan grounds and really using our efforts to serve our constituencies well and with pride. I think the people would be happier and the legislators wouldn't feel their jobs are hopeless.

I just feel that based on today's election, no one cares what I want, no one believe my family is a family, no one cares about my rights over my body, and no one in power is going to work for my causes because they are so clearly at odds with the other half of the country. I don't trust our leaders and I don't like them. I want to have respect for my leaders but they have to earn that.

I spoke with several people this morning who would move to other countries but we would rather stay and fight for the America we have believe in and fought for since we were young. I'm at a loss now on how to have a civil dialogue that can come to common good. I am horrified at the prospect of watching the 1 to 2 press conferences the Bush Administration will make over the next few years, refusing to answer questions. I am paranoid about the secrecy that will grow deeper. I am afraid for the newly drafted who may sent to fight more wars with less preparation and even less diligence from an administration that now has nothing to lose in its last term.

I want to be constructive but I am feeling sad and powerless. I voted, but I want to do more. I'm afraid the system of power will make further efforts futile. I feel that 4 years is too long to wait to have a chance to make the changes needed to right the country. And I'm worried about the condition our deficit, fighting strength and middle class morale will be in 4 years. They say if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger. I'm afraid this administration will kill us before we can be stronger and make a difference.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Sorry you are so sad,I wasnt happy under clinton for eight years,however I dont think I was quite to your level.No matter what,your happiness is in your own hands,dont look towards politians and big govt for your happiness.good luck

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I wish I could make you feel better, but I can't. We are witnessing what I believe is the gradual implosion of the Democratic Party and they have done this to themselves. Over the last 20 years or so they have become more and more liberal, and the party has been hijacked by extremists. Because of this, many people who have always been strongly Democrat have abandoned the party.

What I think the Dems should do is take a look at exactly why the Southern states that used to vote Democrat haven't done so in the last 2 elections and start working to pull those people back into the fold. They need to do some serious soul searching if they are to have any hope of turning things around. I am afraid, however, that the only lesson they learned from all of this is the mistaken notion that they weren't liberal enough and didn't fight hard enough. If they go any further left than they are already, they will lose even more of their base (IMO).

This doesn't solve the problems we are seeing now, but maybe enough party members can make themselves heard and turn things around. I don't know, but I still am hopeful it may happen in the future
Do what you can to make it happen, starting in Ohio. Then maybe Democrats who feel like their party abandoned them can take control of the party back from the extremists. I hope the Republicans can also do this as they have been hijacked by the far right, which is just as bad (IMO).

Best Regards,

Gardenia

Don't blame me, I voted LP

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Can you give specifics as to how no one cares about your family? Didn't you at the very least benefit from the tax breaks? How do you feel that you are being cheated?

I would have been disappointed had Kerry won and it would have changed my financial situation, but I was convinced that he would win and I knew that it meant that for 4 years I would be rolling my eyes whenever I saw him on T.V., but other than that, it would not impact my day to day life so much that I would become depressed over it.

Your life is bigger than who your President is. You need to focus on what is important in YOUR life ... your friends and family, school, work, etc. You cannot let politics have such a profound impact on your life that it makes you almost despondent when the man you voted for didn't win. Keep it in perspective.

You mentioned something about a draft. There will not be a draft. If something so extreme happens that there is no choice but to start a draft well then we cross that bridge when we get to it. But to waste time and energy worrying about 'what ifs' and things that have no basis is not productive for you.

Give yourself a few days to grieve, pout, mope, be depressed or whatever it is you need to do. But then put it aside and move forward. Focus on what YOU can do for your life. It isn't the Governments responsibility or job to make you happy, that's up to you.

If you are giving the Government so much control that your happiness is based on who is running our Country you will always be miserable.

Jemison

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Losonczy
The Democrat, Libertarian, Common Man, Keep it at home, Help the poor man up, Family is what you make it half could live in peace, keep our jobs in the community, use our half of the services to fight wars where we're attacked or believe peace-keeping missions are necessary, and keep our social security structured so that the youth of today pays for the elderly of today.

Democrats and Libertarians would not be one big happy family. The government you want is just North of here. Canada is a big beautiful country that has all the wonderful entitlements that you crave. Why be sad in America when you could be happy in Canada?

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Machine

Losonczy

Democrats and Libertarians would not be one big happy family. The government you want is just North of here. Canada is a big beautiful country that has all the wonderful entitlements that you crave. Why be sad in America when you could be happy in Canada?

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I'm seriously considering moving to Canada...it's very hard...I'm half Native American and my roots here are very deep, but I can't just watch what is happening here and there is nothing one can do. He won by 51% not a landslide by any means...but he will run this country into the ground...it really, really hurts! It's also hard for me to understand the hate in this country towards gays. It would seem to me that you would want them committed to each other in marriage instead of having relations out of wedlock....I just don't get it. I am having a very hard time understanding morality picking a leader....he went into Iraq for what? None of the terrorist were Iraqis, there were no WMD...this man is crazy and he now has complete control with nothing to lose!

EDITED to add that I DO know how your feeling...I think a lot of us are feeling like that right now...like no one cares....I give it a year before many that voted for him will be feeling it too...

[edit on 11/3/2004 by LadyV]

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I read an article that made more sense about Iraq than anything I've heard yet. It claimed that one of the main reasons we were there was to prevent China from becoming an equal or greater super-power 20-30 years from now when they could potentially catch up with us. They use the second most oil in the world and will soon use the most and keep growing. We now have a distinct advantage over them until we move to some other form of energy which will not be for another century most likely. In the long run, good for us, bad for the world. What's new?

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I understand the personal responsibility stuff and I do take responsibility for my life. I'm a pretty contented person but I mourn for the "larger America" that I feel is being cheated. I worked my way up from a gas station attendant making $3.45 an hour to an executive making 6 figures, but at heart I'm still a middle class American success story. That's something I don't know that our children will have as many opportunities at given the current state of affairs of the country.

I don't feel that Democrats and Libertarians together would be a honeymoon but I don't know how in a 4 year period to create a political party that can be a "majority" speaking for the disenfranchised. I have family in Canada and Hungary where I could go, but I want my cake here in the America I remember. The America my father came to in 1956. When that beautiful statue at Ellis Island welcomed him with open arms and let him become the American Dream. I just feel like there are a limited number of "American Dreams" right now, particularly when we're outsourcing like a MOFO. The story you keep hearing is that people need "re-training". Well half these people trained in computers which the country pumped as the no fault career of the future. What are they supposed to train in now..."outsourcing consulting".

I live on a street where half the houses are owned by middle class folks with decent paying jobs. The other half of the houses are owned by smiling, slum-lords who charge 8 Mexicans $700 a month for a craphole with the doors and windows falling off. That isn't something that is going to be changed in this administration. I gave out Halloween candy to droves of little Mexican children wondering if that was their dinner. Who is going to fight for the basic rights and decent accomodations for these people?

And to those who want to poke fun at my very honest post, poo on you. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way. I just feel there are a huge number of Americans NOT being represented and I feel for them.

In terms of my family, I have a GAY (oooo icky) family and our rights are what I hope to protect. I'll just have to use my well-earned money to work with a lawyer to develop an airtight legally binding document to protect us. I do worry about these things. Properties, belongings and children are taken by the states when something happens to a gay partner. Hospital visitations and decision-making are restricted. I guess I'll have to find the GAY hospitals (like there are any of those) in case of bad times. I don't think people think about the basic, common things in terms of rights that are afforded to married couples. I don't care if you think it's moral. There are human decency issues and basic legal rights afforded in a "marital arrangement" that I don't have. I hoped I would have them. I don't hope for that now. I'm going to just hang it up for now. I'm not gonna get any consolation here.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I just read this two years later and frankly I don't feel any different. And I do feel a bit vindicated to see the Crap I thought would happen be in full bloom. It really makes me more said than vindicated.

new topics

top topics

join