It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How ATS has changed over 13+ years

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

Typically ATS is slow to ban someone. When many members get sucked into something, they usually will take actions to instill a "cooling off" time (post bans, warnings, engage in private conversations, etc).

When they DO ban someone it is usually for being a repeat troll, for personal threats etc, or for acting in a way that threatens ATS as a business (some members have insinuated they are bigger than ATS and got banned for actions related to that).

I have seen some major players come and go here. I have followed a few to their own private ventures, just to keep touch. Today I actively post at 1 place: ATS. Which means that no single member is bigger than the site. Now if our next big heavyweight contributor can keep this in mind. Slayer did a good job of it, for sure, with his ego generally kept in check throughout.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Like most everyone else, I lurked for a couple of years before actually joining because at the time I was just reading and absorbing information. I really didn't have much to add. After a time, I finally joined because I wanted to throw in my opinion too - right or wrong.

Anyhoo - what I see as different, and I'm sure I'll be flamed for this but I'm also positive I'm not the only one who feels like this, is that there's too much "freedom of speech" here now. What I mean by that is, in the "old days" ATS was about finding the truth and intelligently discussing theories so as to come to a reasonable conclusion. Even if there was no consensus, you usually came to a logical conclusion. Personal attacks and labelling (i.e. calling people shills, disinfo agents, debunkers, etc.) was quickly dealt with and often led to bans. Now every little thought that goes through someone's mind, no matter how ridiculous, must be allowed to clog up the forums - and it is the intelligent "debunkers" who only seek the truth that are shut down. The intelligent debate of old has been replaced with idiotic 4chan types of comments who are only interested in...actually I have no idea, but it's certainly not the truth.

On the other hand, I can see how completely monitering every single thread and post must be near impossible for the staff - and most of us "older" members are just too weary and jaded now to "report" any ill behavior and instead either ignore it or get sucked into yet another argument with someone who's sole purpose is to cause drama.

And now that I have typed that out - that is also a huge difference. We used to seek truth. Now a lot of members only seek drama...but I still stay because there is still a lot of information to be had here.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I hate the belief that everyone is a shrill that works for the government.

If you have theory x, you have some knowledge but not all. If someone with an expertise says something to counter any of that theory, you are a shrill there to discredit the post.

Ive only seen it once where someone said, thanks I wasnt aware of that, can you show me where I can study up on what you know.

More die hard opinions with less open minds

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I've been on here for just over 2 years so cannot comment on what it was like in the 'Good Old Days'. However over the last 2 years I haven't really noticed a change, well maybe except the threads about 2012, but we made it through that, yay!!

I guess times change and there have certainly been some hot topics to discuss over the last few years. I guess that things like, JFK, Roswell et al, have been covered so many times there really isn't anything to add. Of course if you do, someone will soon pop up and advise you to use the search function, you really should use the search function.

I still find lots of interesting topics relating to space exploration and science breakthroughs and it certainly lit up in the last five or six days.

It does feel like a family, even the ones I disagree with I would miss if they were to leave or find themselves removed from the circle of trust.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I've been here nearly 7 years & the place has changed,for me most of the change has happened in the last couple years.
So much bickering,trolling,duplicate threads & general rudeness.
Back in 2007 i lurked for a couple months & it seemed like a nice place to talk so i joined up,i don't post as often as i'd like because rather than answer a question properly you just get a nasty response.
Some threads go on for pages of name calling,i guess it's a sign of the times.
Still a great place to be though,i've learnt alot & had my eyes opened to whats happening in the world.
edit on 20-4-2013 by rhynouk because: adding things

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helious
I think for me, too many of my friends who offered a truly prolific view of society and culture have been banned for whatever reasons. I see us all as members who will eventually get banned for honoring what we believe in and speaking our mind when it isn't currently popular with ATS administration.

Knowing this fact has left me empty for the ATS experience in the long run. I think things change as society does and what happens inside of ATS is really not that different from the rest of the world. Clicky, cliche type of friends and or groups that struggle with the slight ebb and flow of power and relevance.

Just know that one day subject matter you feel passionate about will come up and for whatever reason you may not be able to completely express yourself about it and you will have to either deal with that and move on or face the banhammer. Once you realize that simple fact, ATS is a great place to hang out.

Couldn't have said it better mate... totally agree.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Wish I'd hqve known about this site 13 years ago so I could take part in this thread proper.

I came here when Curiosity landed and was hooked by CaptBenos cookie monster avatar. It didn't take long before I was called brainwashed and was informed that it was all an illusiion being all of space was just a holographic image and it would take years to deprogram me so I could see reality.

That just set the hook deeper.

But as I delved deeper (especially the older threads) on Egyptian and other ancient civilizations it became a little more serious.

Though a lot of the content I dont even bother with occasionally there is a very good discussion and I learn more about ideas and a bit about myself and my own views.

Now I am thinking of buying the t-shirt.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Losonczy
I've been on ATS for about 13 years.

You registered in 2003. This is 2013. That's 10 years .. not 13.

I've been here 9 years.

How has it changed since 2004?
I think the moderators are being chosen better nowadays.

We've got those wonky stars and karma things.

How is it the same?
It doesn't matter who is POTUS .. ATSers don't like him.
Republican or Democrat ... doesn't matter.
This place doesn't ever lean left or lean right.
It just ... I don't know ... leans AWAY.
Away from whatever administration is in office.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Well congratulations you got me to log in and reply. I have recently taken to just lurking again as I've felt the over-all feel of the site to be negative. I have been a member since 2009, and had lurked before that but in no way am I able to respond on the feel of the site before that. I will attest that I have a historian's curiosity and have spent days just reading some of the classic threads from these many moons ago. With that in mind my paltry two cents worth.

The older threads had an advantage, they had the concept of being new. Ideas were exchanged between people who were actually doing research and involving themselves in finding a truth. Now most threads are simply rehashes of these same ideas. If you want to opine on a certain subject you can spend days digging through old threads trying to find where to comment, That comment is going to be buried, and there's a good chance you'll end up repeating what has already been said. Now remember this and watch how so many are more then eager to point this out. New researchers will become frustrated, they want to get their ideas out there, but don't want to spend weeks reading and absorbing threads that are years old. We need to show more patience to our newer researchers and thinkers.

Now the feel of the site, it's become in my opinion more like a social media site. I can only agree with the poster above who pointed this out. Stars, flags, likes and +'s will usually lead to this. When opinions are tailored to the popular consensus you're not going to develop ground breaking ideas. It is this lack of ground breaking ideas, or the conceived lack as I will say that they are still here but buried among the inane, that people are probably decrying. Ideas are buried in a sea of multiple threads and personal insults. Couple this with threads where the first 10 replies amount to " omg I so totally agree, star and flag, thumbs up". As the site has grown it's become more and more difficult to filter what we seek. Each of us has our areas of interest, and as the site gets more popular we will feel that our areas are being shunted. This is perception.

BigFatfurryTexan, I have always admired your bluntness. Say it true, it is the egos that have lead some to get banned.

I myself have always spoken my mind, I have never been afraid to do so. I will disagree with a mod, and have even disagreed with Skeptic on many occasions. I might have come off as abrasive, but never have I attacked people personally. I argue the idea, not the person. This is the most basic of forum rules everywhere on the internet. Do this, don't label, don't compare, just take the idea and pull it apart if you disagree. Saying "that's stupid" or something like " you're an evil libtard/gun toting redneck" is not going to get us anywhere. This is the biggest fault I have with the site now. People are not being helped on how to debate properly. I would suggest that a sticky thread be made covering some of these debate basics, but it's already been done, numerous times. So it's up to us as established members to help our newer posters learn how to do this. I've probably failed in this regard myself, perhaps some wiser then I can assist.

We are here to discuss alternative ideals. Whether I agree with one's perception or assertions is not relevant to their ability to post about it. I will try to show why I disagree if I do, but I will do this in accordance with the site tos. I consider part of my responsibility as a poster here.

Seiko
edit on 20-4-2013 by Seiko because: silly typos

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I've been on here 10 years, in fact, interestingly, tomorrow will be my 10th year anniversary. ATS has certainly gotten bigger, that's for sure. And a lot more complicated. Though even when I first joined, there was certainly quite a bit of arguing/debating over things. I think my biggest disappointment is the drop in the quality of posts/research into certain areas, which used to be great. Extremely thought provoking stuff, more of the hard, meaty stuff and less of the subjective, ambiguous. Especially in the area of UFOs and secret societies, HAARP and other subjects.

But there is a broader variety of things being discussed now, which is a plus, new horizons being breached. A trade off of sorts.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I have been here 7 years now and I have seen the place change.What disappoints me is all the posters who insist on arguing endlessly about politics .I'll be honest I had hopped that the establishment of the Political Madness Forum would have forced an mass exodus of political posters of all stripes.It did just that at first but sadly we have a new batch of posters left over from this last election.Kinda sad that in a site whose motto is "Deny Ignorance." We have people who are totally convinced that their vote counts.Then we have others who are just here to argue and whine.

PS:As for The Brithers they can take that nonsense over to other sites.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Losonczy

Even in the past 4 years i have been here i have seen the average thread count go WAY up. When i first started looking at the website about 5 years ago i would watch the recently active section and you would have to wait a while for the post to scroll down the page. Now, as i read the recently active page i barely get halfway down the page before i have to refresh. Even 1 topic will be hard to keep up with these days.

-Buttboi

edit on 20-4-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Seeing as I have spent the majority of my time on ATS in the 911 forum, from that perspective nothing has really changed much at all. Same old arguments from the same old group of posters, just with fresh new user names.
I have been slowly weaning myself off that forum.

It seems so easy to get banned from this site they should have a not-been-banned award for us old timers lol.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
ive been lurking for a long time, and i have noticed the same thing. And seriously, what's with all the america bashing?!?

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatDude13
And seriously, what's with all the america bashing?!?

You're the center of the universe.

Until something negative is pointed out.

What's with all the American bragging?

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

I care, and I'm dismayed by what I see on here. I haven't been a member for very long, but I find myself shaking my head at the horrid personal attacks and constant trolling.

I feel there is way way too much politics on here. Even threads that aren't technically on political subjects are inundated with political bs and trolls. I loathe politics, and try to steer clear of any political forums, but still am unable to get away from it. That's my biggest gripe with this site.

I do feel that the Admins/Forum Moderators have a thankless job, and do a terrific job of keeping things at an even keel. The trolls will always be out, but there are those who still are able to counteract them for the most part. S&F for you, good thread.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
At LEAST half of the posters here are government shills.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Red Cloak

Is this an admission?

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   

S&F my friend it is so true, although I've been a member on ATS since 2005, although I gave up on ATS and lost my old account. Things have changed A lot..Before ATS was like a family, now were like vultures.. Too many people out there believe to much, or stuff has been so debunked that even if something was true no one would believe it.. Maybe that's their plan.

Too many people ruin this great site were it was friends sharing thoughts and all. Now It's just pure Hostility..

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   

GLP rejects.

2nd.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join