It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turtles in NJ

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I just went to pick up my daughter, my dog was with us ad she wanted to let him walk a bit in the Branch Brook Park, here in Newark, New Jersey.

She spotted these 2 little guys and I was lucky to have the camera in my hands. Next to them, some garbage floating (see the plastic bottle). I guess they are now adapted to our bad influence.

I don't know if they were a couple or "just friends". We didn't want to come closer, to avoid disturbing these lovely creatures. I wonder if they were released by authorities or somebody abandoned them because just got bored of his or her pets. I'm worry about what is going to happen to them when winter comes again, I don't know if what kind of turtles they are and if they can resist winter. what should I do?

If you want to help and know an authority that can help these fellows, last pic is a clue where they are. Thanks ATSers.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Uh
Ponds have turtles.
No big whoop.
Just leave em be.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
We've had turtles in New Jersey for a long time.

I'm sure they'll manage.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by AnimositisominA

Yeah.... I know, but NJ is not like Florida. Are you sure it's ok?

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Do they really hybernate burried in the mud.....I was thinking so....but dang.....frogs do....

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
We've had turtles in New Jersey for a long time.

I'm sure they'll manage.

Ahhh...,thank you for that answer.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by GBP/JPY
Do they really hybernate burried in the mud.....I was thinking so....but dang.....frogs do....

Yeah, I wonder how they do that too.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Out here in the swamp we have a number of threatened "turtle" species, including the wood, spotted and box turtles (actually tortoises). When ever I see a turtle or snake sunning in the the road, or trying to cross it, I normally stop and help move them off the road. Too many times have I see evidence that people run them over on purpose. Nothing worse than a smashed turtle or flattened out blue racer dead in the road, IMO.

Actually, I haven't seen an adult snapping turtle in my swamp for over 20 years now. I have seen soft shell turtles in the river though. Quite a treat really.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I live in Upstate New York. Same temperate climate as Newark, NJ. We have MANY turtles up here. Most of them are painted turtles. We also have snapping turtles.

Yes, they do hibernate in the mud at the bottom of ponds over the winter. And in the spring they are just fine.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Sliders
Painted
Map
a few of the NJ turtles are endangered, like the wood turtle. the most common turtle is probably RES, because of 'disposable' pet trade thanks to Consumptive americans

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Turtles are fine in the winter for many of them spring is going to be mating season you might see more of them than usual Some basic info about turtles in the winter Here
edit on 4/20/2013 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
Turtles are fine in the winter for many of them spring is going to be mating season you might see more of them than usual Some basic info about turtles in the winter Here
edit on 4/20/2013 by iforget because: (no reason given)

That link gave me conforting news. Now I know they'll be just fine. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by tropic
Sliders
Painted
Map
a few of the NJ turtles are endangered, like the wood turtle. the most common turtle is probably RES, because of 'disposable' pet trade thanks to Consumptive americans

Can you tell which kind are these ones by the pics I posted ?

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by craig732
I live in Upstate New York. Same temperate climate as Newark, NJ.

No way !....haha, you guys have one foot of snow for every inch we have here in winter.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

No problem I welcome a little concern for our animal friends. Turtles are among the oldest and most widespread of animal species, they're hardy survivalists

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Let me share with you a photo of another little friend my dog and me found today while walking in aother park in N. Arlington (close to Newark). Isn't it cute ?

join