It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet C/2012 S1 ISON & Meteor Shower

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Great time we have in times ahead ..

This comet C/2012 S1 ISON will give us many interesting moments also answers ..

So on 16th January 2014 the Earth will probably passes through the coma of comet ISON debris.

Comet sightings and meteor showers
February 3, 2013

By Dr. Natalie Starkey
Cosmochemistry, space science, geology

“Comets, they’re like cats, they’ve got tails and they’re unpredictable”. I don’t know who originally said this but I’ve never forgotten it.

Comet ISON (official name C/2012 S1) has the potential to be the more exciting comet of 2013 and may even produce a meteor shower on 16th January 2014 as the Earth passes through the coma of comet debris.

Comet ISON is a special comet not only for astronomers but also cosmochemists like me. This is because it is a dynamically new comet meaning that it has come from the Oort cloud and is entering the inner Solar System for the first time.

The ISON meteor shower, if it happens, will be a particularly special one and I really hope that NASA can get some aircraft up with dust collectors on to collect some Comet ISON dust.

www.nataliestarkey.com...
edit on 19-4-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Comet ISON Meteor Shower
ScienceAtNASA
Apr 19, 2013

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by MariaLida

Thanks (it's good to get away from the Boston threads for a few minutes). I didn't know about the January pass-thru the coma, and that could be a comet "bonus". Something else to look forward to!

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Closest Distance to Mars: On October 1, ISON will be closes to Mars ..

Closest Distance to Earth: On December 26th, ISON will be roughly 36,000,000 miles from the Earth. (A little less than half the distance between the Sun and Earth.) ..

Closest approach to the Sun: On November 28th, ISON will reach perihelion at roughly 1,100,000 miles from the Sun’s surface. (Approximately 1/100th the distance between the Sun and Earth.) ..

On January 16th 2014 the Earth will passes through the coma of comet ISON debris ..

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
IM SOOOO EXCITED FOR THIS COMET!!

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ValentinoG
IM SOOOO EXCITED FOR THIS COMET!!

Me to0, but think all we are

files.abovetopsecret.com...

Also some very nice images of Comet C/2011 L4 (Panstarrs)

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Comet ISON - Some useful dates and links

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Comet researcher John Bortle has pointed out a curious similarity between the orbit of Comet ISON and that of the Great Comet of 1680 ..

At the moment the most interesting aspect of this new object to me are the orbital elements' distinct and surprising similarity to those of the Great Comet of 1680.

Let me point out that it would seem to me to be a virtual impossibility for this to be just pure coincidence. Let me explain further.

Purely as speculation, perhaps the two bodies could have been one a few revolutions ago.

tech.groups.yahoo.com...

Even so, astronomers say there are reasons to be optimistic. In fact, ISON appears to be on a trajectory eerily similar to that of the Great Comet of 1680. It's even possible that ISON and the Great Comet are fragments of the same parent body.

Christmas 'miracle' comet could be as bright as the full moon

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Pretty much a carbon copy of my thread, minus the videos, and the information that meteoroids could encounter Earth from both sides. I posted about the meteor shower here and the possible similarities with the great comet of 1680 here.

Regarding the shower, if these predictions are correct it sounds like it probably won't be a visual shower, although the occasional meteor might be bright enough to see under very dark skies.
edit on 19-4-2013 by FireballStorm because: formatting

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by FireballStorm
Pretty much a carbon copy of my thread, minus the videos, and the information that meteoroids could encounter Earth from both sides. I posted about the meteor shower here and the possible similarities with the great comet of 1680 here.

Regarding the shower, if these predictions are correct it sounds like it probably won't be a visual shower, although the occasional meteor might be bright enough to see under very dark skies.
edit on 19-4-2013 by FireballStorm because: formatting

I even not see your thread or your info, new info coming and I'm posting them ..

You have problem with that ??

I need to ask you next time to post thread about similar staff or post so people can read more info ??

More news and info, lo0l ..

3rd IAA Planetary Defense Conference, protecting our planet from impacts by asteroids and comets!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

edit on 26-4-2013 by whatnext21 because: posted on wrong post

top topics

join