It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students KKK costume wins first prize -- and suspension

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   

The Ku Klux Klansman getup took the prize for the scariest costume at the City High School dance attended by the principal, assistant principal and other staff members.
In Michigan, Student KKK costume wins first prize and a five day suspension.Personally i think it's funny, although it doesn't state whether the student was white or black.Your thoughts?Read the article before drawing any conclusions please

Aol News: Original Story

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Just shows how insensitive and how currupt our minds are.
The uniform is associated with homicide, oppression, cross burning, rape, torture.
The fact he won first place and not a bullet is amazing.
I would have knocked him the fuzz out.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   
What ever happened to free speach and expression?

Or is it only allowed when no one is insulted

While the costum is clearly insensitive, it is his costum to choose.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I know my friend brought a "home-made" KKK mask to school once. Everyone started laughing but when the black kids saw him with the mask. You don't want to know what happened. Five stitches.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
While I can understand why some might be offended, I think he should be free to wear the costume. Not at school, though. i don't see the need for getting dressed up at school. If anything they should have just asked him to take it off or go home and not suspended him.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 01:30 AM
link   
The kid should have been flogged and stoned, but hey, this is the 21st century..
People have been killed for less

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

He then should also take responsibility for the consquences of wearing said costume...

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thorfinn Skullsplitter

Originally posted by American Mad Man

He then should also take responsibility for the consquences of wearing said costume...

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   
i am puerto rican and i think the kkk is for a bunch of people that have no time on there hands but to make fun of people for there skin color ITS JUST YOUR SKIN COLOR! DOES IT MAKE AN FN DIFFERENCE?????????? lol and plz no racist remarks lol

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   
HAHA i think that hella funny....
5 day suspension for wearing a costume WOW BS!

enough said

--lil rage--

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Well..it's just like that fraternity last year that based their yard display for some competition on the border of mexico. Placing a green card sanction stand with a sign that said "no green card no pass" or something around those lines.

It's one thing to have a freedom of speech - it's another thing to abuse it in order to not have to use your brain.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I almost started a thread about a similarly controversial costume on Halloween. While I was taking my children trick-or-treating I saw a guy dressed as Osama bin Laden. I thought that was very improper. I guess this is why all of the local public schools have quit observing Halloween.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Heh, I think we may as well do away with the right to free expression laws. You wear the wrong outfit, you're shunned, expelled etc. You say the wrong thing, you get shunned, expelled etc. You preach a crazy, far out religion / belief, you get shunned, sent to a shrink etc... Bush doesn't let any anti-bush protestors near him or get in the cameras view during speeches.....

so umm.... where do the right to free expression laws kick in? Maybe it should be called the *takes a big breath* right to free expression of anything we have on this list of things you are allowed to express yourself about as long as your expression supports our opinions law.

buuut, i suppose it also depends on this kids actions. if he was deliberately stirring up trouble then he got what he deserved, but if he was just wearing a distinctive and unusual costume then he didn't deserve any punishment.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   
The student is not black or white, he is of Asian decent and a US citizen. He did not wore the custome during school hours, but to a halloween custome party.

The school board has blown this way out of proportion. Everyone one has to be politically correct nowadays.

It suprised me that the student got the idea from Dave Chapelle, a black comic. And it was the black parents that complained about it.

see article:

www.wzzm13.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Dressing up as KKK in parts of america is like dressing up like Hitler in Isreal. Bad things are bad to happen

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
he wasnt tryin to stir up trouble, he entered the SCARIEST costume contest, and rightfully won so.Also, i saw that episode, it was about a black man (dave chapelle) who was the leader of a kkk group.He was blind, so he didnt know the difference.anyway he finds out hes black and divorces his wife for bein a N'er lover..........lol.

-Mono

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
'Freedom of speech' also entails the 'Freedom of Ignorance'. They both go hand in hand. We cant filter freedom. So although what this kid did was ignorant, it's his right.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 05:50 AM
link   
He just took this scariest costume contest too far. He probably thought that it was funny and a good way of drawing attention to himself- although i am sure he didnt mean to offend that is what it must have looked like to his school.

He probably got a chance to explain his actions and it was pathetic therefore he got suspended.

Schools have to try and show that they are being anti-racist and this is a good way of showing their no tolerance approach to racism- even if that was not neccessarily the case in this scenario.

He is intitled ho his own views but he must face responsibility for his actions if he takes an extremist view.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Ok... really, what is happening to America? The freedom to express ones self shouldn't be taken away if it insults a person. I am personaly sick of blacks getting all this special treatment just cause we treated them bad in the past. We were NOT the only country that did that to them. If wearing a KKK costume is bad, what about if someone dresses up as King Jr.? That offends some white people (not me, lets make that clear) but people don't get punished for that. He fought against the system. So are the punishments being handed out cause of pity or for rightful reasons?

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kratos
I am personaly sick of blacks getting all this special treatment just cause we treated them bad in the past. We were NOT the only country that did that to them...If wearing a KKK costume is bad, what about if someone dresses up as King Jr.?

What? I'm not even sure where to begin. What special treatment are you referring to? USA was (is) is the primary spawning ground of racism. Dr. Martin Luther King was a humanist, how would that offend anyone?

I love my country...but I really think you need to cease from making borderline ignorant remarks like this. I'm not calling you ignorant, i'm stating that what you said is. I think you need to do some research before commenting.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join