It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's Start A Reading Circle!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

Last night I proposed creating a book club in this thread: Book Club

Here's what that thread said:

I love books and gladly read everything I can get my hands on. I belong to a couple of book circles, and that's great, but they NEVER want to read conspiracy or paranormal/alien literature. I always feel like an idiot when I suggest our next book be Roswell or something similar.

So what I was thinking, we could have a book club here on ATS. How awesome would it be to read some of the great works (non-fiction and fiction) and discuss them with like-minded individuals? To use our collective knowledge base to explore a topic more in depth, perhaps even debunk or uphold theories? I'm sure there are some folks who'd enjoy a book club. What do you think?

Waiting with my fingers crossed, Smylee

It was suggested that I post this idea here, in the Literature forum. Hence this thread.

So, how about it? Here are some books I'd like to read in a reading circle. Add your picks, and we'll choose a book by Sunday, April 21. We'll set a deadline for reading either by chapter or whole book, and just discuss our little hearts out.

Here are my choices:

Ghost Hunters: William James and the Scientific Search for Life After Death

Witness To Roswell

UFOs: Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go On the Record

Unexplained! Strange Sightings, Incredible Occurrences, and Puzzling Physical Phenomena

Missing 411: Unexplained Dissapearances of North Americans That Have Never Been Solved

Mysteries of the Ancient Past

Can't wait to see what you recommend, and I hope we can get started!

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Good luck! I tried a little while ago and absolutely failed at it. I got too danged busy. I know you can do much better than I.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   

I'm getting confused of what thread to post in as iv'e already posted in the one at the top of this thread, being a new member of ATS i'm not sure which one i should be looking in if the book club goes ahead because i think it would be a lot of fun and there's so many e books (i think that's what you call them lol) you can download and there free.

Sorry if this is going to be a simple answer and i'm just being a dweeb (that's my new word to explain myself lol)

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ballymoney50

I'm getting confused of what thread to post in as iv'e already posted in the one at the top of this thread, being a new member of ATS i'm not sure which one i should be looking in if the book club goes ahead because i think it would be a lot of fun and there's so many e books (i think that's what you call them lol) you can download and there free.

Sorry if this is going to be a simple answer and i'm just being a dweeb (that's my new word to explain myself lol)

No worries. Just post in this thread, the other thread was to see if anyone was interested.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Good luck! I tried a little while ago and absolutely failed at it. I got too danged busy. I know you can do much better than I.

What books did you want to read?

I have an app called Audible that is awesome. It's audiobooks for sale (great prices) and I download the books I want to read. Then I listen to the book while driving to work, doing chores, etc. Makes housework and yard work much easier!

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   

A good idea and hopefully this thread will not fall into disuse. Here is my book nomination.

Atlantis, Alien Vistitation and Genetic Manipulation

I also have a question. ?Do books have to be modern or can we nominate something written 40 years ago for example.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tindalos2013

A good idea and hopefully this thread will not fall into disuse. Here is my book nomination.

Atlantis, Alien Vistitation and Genetic Manipulation

I also have a question. ?Do books have to be modern or can we nominate something written 40 years ago for example.

Any book is fine.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Some great ideas on what to read, but these days all my books come from discount or second hand stores. I pay between .50 cents to three dollars for a book, including hard covers.

I would be interested in hearing you guys converse over the books you are reading though.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
when i replied to one of the earlier threads i was thinking more along the lines of fictional works rather than the kind of material we read and discuss on ATS... from my own POV threads here are often inspired by what members read elsewhere re ufos, atlantis etc and it would be nice to get some fiction based recommendations/discussions etc going about stuff i may not hear about otherwise

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by skalla
when i replied to one of the earlier threads i was thinking more along the lines of fictional works rather than the kind of material we read and discuss on ATS... from my own POV threads here are often inspired by what members read elsewhere re ufos, atlantis etc and it would be nice to get some fiction based recommendations/discussions etc going about stuff i may not hear about otherwise

We absolutely can do fiction. Do you have a particular book in mind? Or a topic, we could do a search for a good fiction book on a specific topic.

Here are the topics that interest me. The paranormal, aliens, ancient civilizations, dystopian future, philosophy.

Just please no sparkly vampires.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

aw no fair!

well i may be posting about a series of books tonight or in the next few days (time depending) so that may provide recco's for others
i always enjoy having fictional works pushed my way, maybe a few of us can get a bit more activity going here

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
There's an incredible series of books about time traveling to 1745ish Scotland. The series is by Diana Gabaldon called Outlander. There's seven books in the series and they're all incredible. I've read them multiple times.

If you like vampires, I've always thought Anne Rice's series the best.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

well in my eyes the only good vampire is a dead one.

oh hang on a mo

ETA just for clarity, no wampyrs, please
...liches, ghouls, wights and judge death and so on are fine, i guess i have prejudice issues with certain undead varieties. and there's me thinking i was pretty right-on, oh well

edit on 19-4-2013 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
For a fiction nomination, while still retaining ATS like elements how about Watch written by Robert J Sawyer.

Watch

Webmind is an emerging consciousness that has befriended Caitlin Decter and grown eager to learn about her world. But Webmind has also come to the attention of WATCH-the secret government agency that monitors the Internet for any threat to the United States-and they're fully aware of Caitlin's involvement in its awakening.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Discussing which kind of vamps are best probably would require it's own thread. I'm partial to a bit of True Blood myself.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tindalos2013
For a fiction nomination, while still retaining ATS like elements how about Watch written by Robert J Sawyer.

Watch

Webmind is an emerging consciousness that has befriended Caitlin Decter and grown eager to learn about her world. But Webmind has also come to the attention of WATCH-the secret government agency that monitors the Internet for any threat to the United States-and they're fully aware of Caitlin's involvement in its awakening.

Sounds interesting....anyone else want to take a peek?

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Great thread

How about Dark Materials

The story involves fantasy elements such as witches and armoured polar bears, and alludes to a broad range of ideas from such fields as physics, philosophy, and theology. The trilogy functions in part as a retelling and inversion of John Milton's epic Paradise Lost;[1] with Pullman commending humanity for what Milton saw as its most tragic failing]

It covers so much and is a thoroughly engrossing story

Just my 2 cents

Cody

edit on 20/4/13 by cody599 because: Add ex text

edit on 20/4/13 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Oh yea! Lets do it.
I have about 5000 books on various topics on my Kindle. We can all discuss about books!!!
I love books on Non-Fiction and spirituality.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Tindalos2013

That looks interesting.

I don't know if this is just for non-fiction,if it's not-The Taking by Dean Koontz,Dolores Claiborne+Bag of Bones+It by Stephen King.
Perfume by Patrick Suskind,and for sheer entertainment if you like horror novels-Havock Junction by Joe Donnely.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
The Dark Tower series by Stephen King.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join