It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing ways to visualize the budget deficit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
It is my suspicion that many Americans, voting Bush or otherwise, have some difficulty appreciating the size of the budget deficit (debt).

To help everybody out, I just did some back of the envlope calculations (pardon if there is an error):

1) If you take a penny, and lay it on your desk, than lay another one right next to it, and keep doing that until you pay off the deficit, the resulting chain of pennies would be equal to the distance from the Sun to planet Uranus. That, my friends, is a major distance. It takes light a few hours to travel that distance, so good luck to us trying to pay it off.

2) If you take a human sperm, straighten it up, and keep adding one by one, head to tail, in the numbers equal to the dollar amount of the deficit, you'll cover the distance from New York to Tokyo. Of course, you'll have to get about 4,000 men to simultaneuosly ejaculate.

[edit on 3-11-2004 by Aelita]

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
It is a cool $500 per every person on this planet. In many countries, that's a royal sum of money.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Well, the last time I checked, it would probably take me over a decade to pay my share back.....if I contributed all the money I made...
That's if I was working, which at the moment is about impossible...so...well....
spend away you liberal conservatives!!! spend to heart is content!! just don't expect much help from me (or most in the lower fringe of the middle class) in paying it off!

join