Aliens Are Like Us

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
The Kepler space telescope has found the 'most Earthlike' worlds to date, says this news item.

The successful quest for exoplanets has been going on for some time now. Hundreds have been found. Some are quite unlike those of our own solar system—very big, orbiting very close to their stars, and so on. But public interest is mainly in the Earthlike ones.

This, of course, is quite understandable: human nature, if you like. It will be just as natural, if we ever acquire the capacity for interstellar travel, to prefer visiting and exploring such hospitable worlds, rather than planets where life as we know it would not be able to exist. It's already happening; it's why our exploratory efforts concentrate on Mars and largely ignore Venus, for example.

Allow me to suggest that if intelligent aliens exist, it will be just as natural to them to behave the same way—to look for distant planets where they, or life as they know it, can survive and possibly thrive. And they, too, if they are able to travel among the stars, will probably visit similar planets first.

It follows from this that any aliens interested in Earth are likely to be from planets broadly similar to Earth—rocky and watery, with oxidising atmospheres, Goldilocks-zoned, and so on.

Life on these planets is quite likely to have evolved along similar lines to Earth—oxygen-breathing, with water-based organic biochemistries, etc. Broadly, then (very broadly), these aliens will be like us.

And being like us, they will have interests similar to, and quite possibly in conflict with, our own. They may even have plans for our planet that don't include us.

There was a time when, under the influence of science-fiction writers like Arthur C. Clarke, I believed that civilised aliens must necessarily be benign. Like the good Prof. Hawking, I now think this attitude is dangerously naive. Life everywhere must depend on natural resources to exist. Similar life-forms must depend on similar resources. I now believe that any aliens visiting Earth must want something from us or our planet, or they wouldn't be here in the first place. And what they want is not likely to be good for us.

edit on 18/4/13 by Astyanax because: it needed tweaking.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

It's a reciprocal sort of possibility isn't it? We look for 'life as we know it' and that dictates the probabilities of which type of life-form we are more likely to discover. By looking for worlds like our own, we're looking for ourselves and (speculatively) a technological civilisation would do the same.

I know a lot of people like to assume that life elsewhere would inevitably be nothing like us. Their views could be expressed as 'evolutionary processes would never be repeated enough to create humans.' There's logic in there when we think about the number of genes we carry and how many mutations it took to be here.

However, it's also logical to speculate that a world with similar atmospheric conditions could be that way from sharing a similar sequence of geological events. What I mean (if life exists on this speculative world) is that the drivers that selected for our gene mutations might be repeated elsewhere too. Not to the extent that provisional apex life-forms might be 'just like us,' but that they might be similar enough to swap clothes with. After all, two opposable thumbs are enough for tool-use and nature seems pretty conservative when it comes to how many legs she dishes out to invertebrates.

Whether they'd be hostile is anyone's guess and a decent debater could make a case go any which way they fancy. I think this is the human angle of the subject - we can't help seeing ourselves reflected in the potentials. Some see conquerors, some see missionaries with freebies.

Still, it'd be bloody awful if that 'first contact' situation we've imagined since childhood turned out to be the 'final contact' too.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
The position that Alien life forms would be benign is naive at best, consider the movie Avatar. Firstly we were there for a mineral and second we were hostile to the natives. You have to figure that any Aliens coming here would be here for a very good reason and it wouldn't be sight seeing and all puppy dogs and roses.

Crossing vast distances of space requires resources and they are not cheap. Even in Star Trek they mined other worlds for the crystal needed to power their star ships. Even though the Federation was depicted as benign, many times business was done at the end of a phazer.

Both Prof. Hawkins and Carol Sagan depicted Aliens as less than trust worthy with ulterior motives for being here. ID4 was another movie that lines up with Hawkins and Sagan.

Would they look like us, well not exactly but similar most likely (Gray's) if their world had similar properties. Would I trust one, absolutely not until proven otherwise. With all the abduction reports I would say they are hostile.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

However, it's also logical to speculate that a world with similar atmospheric conditions could be that way from sharing a similar sequence of geological events. What I mean (if life exists on this speculative world) is that the drivers that selected for our gene mutations might be repeated elsewhere too. Not to the extent that provisional apex life-forms might be 'just like us,' but that they might be similar enough to swap clothes with. After all, two opposable thumbs are enough for tool-use and nature seems pretty conservative when it comes to how many legs she dishes out to invertebrates.

That goes, perhaps, a little further than I intended. Don't forget that conditions on Earth have produced millions of different lifeforms, including several apart from Homo Sapiens that are quite intelligent. When I say 'aliens are like us', that doesn't rule out their looking like hippos, breathing water, or having exoskeletons like crayfish.

Evolution doesn't have to be as convergent as you propose to validate my suggestion. As you say, it's a reciprocal kind of possibility. Aliens may come looking for worlds like their own, and find ours. Or we may one day go looking for worlds like our own, and and find theirs.

If these imaginary aliens have evolved the same biological imperatives as ourselves (survive! reproduce!), breathe oxygen and have organic biochemistries, that will be quite enough to put them in competition with us.

Regarding your concerns about that long-dreamed-about first contact, I am sure it will be peaceful and accompanied, moreover, by numerous protestations of goodwill on both sides. It is subsequent contacts we will have to worry about. Think European settlers vs. native Americans.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
It always makes me mad when people say, usually with a very pretentious tone, that the alien sightings are all lies and fakes because, according to them, aliens will be like nothing we could imagine, let alone come in a humanoid shape with arms and legs and two eyes and one mouth, etc...

If we don't know what they look like then they have an equal chance of looking like us as they do anything else. Personally, I believe there are crazy strange looking aliens and there ARE lifeforms that are like nothing we could imagine. But there are also a lot that look similar to us, and some that look EXACTLY like us.

Most of the species that would be interested in visiting our planet and or interacting with our species would probably have a higher chance of looking similar to us, for reasons stated in the op. That would explain why the majority of sightings, even the insectoids, come in a generally humanoid shape.

We know that "humanoid" is one viable option for an evolutionary path. It IS possible. It happened here. To say that we are the only ones who look even vaguely like this reeks of an Evangelical Fundamentalist attitude of humans being "special" in some way. And we are in some ways, I'm sure, just as everyone is unique in their own way. But to say that we are the sole existence in the universe to make use of the obvious advantages of the humanoid shape is quite um, I dunno, presumptuous?

I also laugh/get angry (depends on my polarity at the given moment), when people say that the human.body is a terrible "design" because the "entertainment center" is located right next to "the dump". Neil Tyson DeGrasse said this. What he means is the genitals are in close proximity to the anus. And because of that, he has deemed it an "not so intelligent design". Sigh...

I guess he must think he knows better than, take your pick, God, or Nature.

I suppose he would rather that the penis/vagina was located right on the hand, so sex could be just as casual and easy as a handshake. No need to take time to get to know someone well enough and like them enough to let them see you naked and go near your anus. No need to freshen up and make sure your clean down there because nobody will have their face two inches from your anus.

You see, maybe it was designed that way for a reason. Maybe guys like Neil, whom I respect greatly, should stick to what they know, astrophysics and such. We already have young kids sleeping around with every tom Dick and Harry and half the time girls are not 100% sure who the father is. Can you imagine what it would be like if geniuses like Neil designed the human body??

It was made that way so you actually have to be selective in your choice of mate. And its not ONLY JUST a "entertainment center" or "recreation area" as Mr Big TV Scientist so eloquently put it......

It's the very means by which the human race enables itself to continue!!!!!!! Think about what that entails! For just one second, would you??!! It's a lot more than just for your pleasure...

Anyway, sorry for the side rant, but it explains that there is a reason for this shape and so it would stand that we can certainly find some reasons to believe that it may be possible that this shape has been used in other such applications as the evolution of life on other planets and so, yes, many of them do probably look like us

Another thing to consider is that planets are not as isolated as one may think. We exchange material with Mars and probably most other rocky bodies in our solar system. So what's to stop some material from escaping to other planetary systems? And we all have different ratios of the same elements. We are just stardust. Just like everything else "out there"... So...the only thing left to argue for aliens looking nothing like us is...what? Just the fact that we don't know what they look like because we haven't seen them? Well...some claim to have had encounters... And a multitude of lifeforms have been described...some weirdish ones, but about 99.9% of the stories I've heard are of humanoid looking creatures. Now, it could be that, in the universe, or in our galaxy, that maybe only 2% of intelligent life is humanoid. I don't know. But it stands to reason that THE ONES VISITING EARTH are over 99% humanoid. But since I have an open mind, I'll go ahead and say that there is also a possibility that there are intelligent lifeforms that we do not know about that may be non-humanoid and its a possibility that these hypothetical lifeforms could outnumber the/us humanoids by far. Maybe they're invisible. Maybe there are 10 Million of them in, on, under, or around you or your house or etc.at this very moment.

That's unknown data. But going from what little we do know, and the few clues we have, and combining that with the power of reasoning, I would say that its absolutely a good possibility that the humanoid form may be very abundant throughout the galaxy or even the universe... Maybe it is THE most common form.

Good op

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Oh, I'm sorry. I think I misunderstood your op, or projected my own frustrations upon it. Or something. So they could be "like us" but not look "like us". Sure, like I said its possible. But, in what ways WOULD they be like us, if not appearance wise. Just trying to get your thread back on track before I skedaddle, and maybe a further explanation or list of similarities you think we would have other than appearance, what we breath, etc, might be a good way to start on that road to progress...

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by 3n19m470

In what ways WOULD they be like us, if not appearance wise?

The simplest and shortest way of putting it is to say that they would be like us mentally.

Like all lifeforms on Earth, they would have a physical biology (transhumanism is bunk) and be mortal. They would be programmed with the biological imperatives of survival and reproduction. They would have desires and fears. They would have responses equivalent to those of pain and pleasure, and would seek the first while avoiding the second.

It is likely they would have evolved societies and would know how to cooperate and how to compete; they would probably know how to attack other groups and defend themselves against attack.

I imagine they would have some equivalent of consciousness, and therefore a concept of time; hence, of cause and effect. They would be able to undertake deliberate, goal-oriented actions, both as individuals and in groups. They would have concepts equivalent to those of right and wrong, though the actual classification of actions as right and wrong may differ hugely from our own (we differ quite a lot among ourselves, anyway, when it comes to this).

They would understand how the world works and how to manipulate it to their advantage. They would have a 'theory of mind'—that is, they would be able to recognise consciousness and intelligence in others.

They would be able to make and carry out plans, allow for contingencies, improvise. They would be sceptical of others' motives and jealous of their own. They will be able to bargain, to make things up, to lie, to cheat.

They may turn out to look like psychedelic jellyfish or coral skyscrapers, but on the inside they will be human. And that is exactly why we must treat any we find with the gravest suspicion. Humans are dangerous.

edit on 19/4/13 by Astyanax because: aliens are dangerous.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Whether they ( the aliens ) looked like us or something completely different to us, we Humans here on Earth will distrust, hate, despise, be fearful and certainly be unapproachable to them.
We are scared of the unknown, scared of change, programmed by TV and cinema to think they will suck our brains out through our rectums, because people are too stupid or lazy to think for themselves and must be taught what to think by those with an agenda to keep knowledge for themselves ONLY, taught by people what to believe so they can be in control, so they can be the smart ones our saviours, but sooner or later Aliens will appear.
After all how many movies or TV programs feature a trustworthy alien, a friendly alien as opposed to evil aliens who want our women?

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

You make it sound as if we didn't have good reason for our fear and suspicion.

The world is a dangerous place. As masters of the planet and shapers of our own environment, we tend to forget this, but even the most secure are reminded of it from time to time. Other things want to eat us—not just big predators, but little microbes, too. We are vulnerable to natural disasters of all kinds, as well as to death from lack of air, water or food, from exhaustion or traumatic stress, from too much heat or too little of it. And of course, we have our fellow-humans—the most dangerous of all predators on Earth—to contend with all the time.

Besides all of these excellent reasons, we are also animals, and animals are naturally fearful and suspicious. They have evolved to be that way, because they too, like us, live in a dangerous, always potentially lethal world. We cannot—nor should we try to—overcome our natural instincts of self-preservation.

Nature and culture are unanimous in justifying our fear and suspicion. Why do you speak out so bitterly against it?

Oh, and...

After all how many movies or TV programs feature a trustworthy alien, a friendly alien as opposed to evil aliens who want our women?

What about...

2001: A Space Odyssey (and its sequels)
Abyss, The
Batteries Not Included
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Contact
Day the Earth Stood Still, The
E.T—The Extraterrestrial
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The
Star Trek
(all the movies)
Star Wars
(all the movies, plus the TV show
Superman
(who is an alien from the planet Krypton)

And those are just the famous ones.There are many more, from Lilo & Stitch to District 9 to My Stepmother is an Alien

edit on 19/4/13 by Astyanax because: of a few movie titles.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

They may turn out to look like psychedelic jellyfish or coral skyscrapers, but on the inside they will be human. And that is exactly why we must treat any we find with the gravest suspicion. Humans are dangerous.

What if on the inside they are all human-y, but they are also very, very much smarter than us?

If it were possible for us to survive ourselves, and then also survive everything else - what would we be like in 10,000 years? Or 100,000? We would always be wary - but would we have maybe evolved into something less predatory?

What if they had that kind of time on us - or more?

What if they came to this planet first of all because they could - and they saw us the same way some of us look at tigers and wild elephants - as something to be preserved?

:-)

Forgive me for looking at the universe through the eyes of a little girl - but as long as we're just wondering and guessing I have to say - I'm gonna guess happy. At least I am today

We can't even protect ourselves from each other right now - if hungry aliens ever show up I have a feeling we're just going to roll over
edit on 4/19/2013 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Some people say that aliens that look like us are most unlikely because they are more likely to evolve along different lines. However if they do look like us - humanoid - it means two things-

1. It means that evolution is a universal process that extends beyond our star or even our galaxy. It is a multi-planet project.

2. It means that information can travel faster than light. The template for alien life forms is similar to our template and therefore 'leg' ideas and 'arm' ideas and 'ear' ideas are shared information (that is, humanoid leg, arm, and ear forms)

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

What if on the inside they are all human-y, but they are also very, very much smarter than us?

I'm not sure it is possible for anything to be smarter than a human being. The average intelligence of an alien species might be higher than ours, but how much smarter than a Leonardo or an Einstein or a Gautama Buddha is it possible for any individual entity to be? We are the smartest things we know of by a very long lead.

Assuming our hypothetical aliens were smarter, even only on average, I imagine it would make them more adept at exploiting the material world to serve their ends, but I don't see that it would make them any nicer. Remember, nature teaches no moral lessons; there is nothing we can learn from her that would make us kinder, more compassionate, gentler or more truthful. On the contrary, nature teaches us that moral scruples, admirable as they are, have neither meaning nor value in the grand scheme of things.

I have not noticed that intelligent people are, on the whole, morally superior to unintelligent ones. Their ethics may be more advanced or sophisticated, but that doesn't necessarily translate into better behaviour.

What would we be like in 10,000 years? Or 100,000? We would always be wary - but would we have maybe evolved into something less predatory?

I don't see how selective pressure could drive us in such a direction. Biological evolution is the ultimate in selfish processes. Cultural evolution might do it, but it might just as well push us the other way. There's no telling.

What if they... saw us the same way some of us look at tigers and wild elephants - as something to be preserved?

We would never stand for it. Our alien keepers would get their hands bitten mighty fast.

If hungry aliens ever show up I have a feeling we're just going to roll over.

Nonsense. We would fight them tooth and nail, and since it is our world not theirs, we would stand a very good chance of winning. Short of complete annihilation, of course; but I imagine that would greatly complicate whatever plans they might have for us or our planet.

edit on 19/4/13 by Astyanax because: of but'n.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Consider this. If they can travel through outerspace at will, why come to Earth for resources? I bet there are entire worlds full of whatever materials they would need. Gold, and other precious things. I really belive that they wan't us to grow up as a species. I keep hearing that repeated over and over again.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I don't think an alien can tell a human the truth. Can a human official tell a human the truth? Most of the time no, because humans don't have a need to know. Which breaks down to psychology of course, 'they don't have to tell us how they feel.' They can be fake and keep things inside, or they can share things with other people which is being real. Yet if an alien does tell a human the truth, it will not be direct and face to face. It will be a puzzle that will be revealed through time. It may not mean they are bad, because Jesus spoke in parables for the reason that he didn't want unintelligent people to know what he was talking about.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Most of the universe is barren. This world is a storehouse of life and grace. That is why they are here. This concept is called 'Uredda' in the case of the W56 beings.
edit on 19-4-2013 by EnPassant because: addition

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by EnPassant

Most of the universe is barren.

The Universe is a very very big place , you know this how ?

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

The chances are that most of it is without biological life. Much of it is too hostile and 'goldilocks' zones are hard to come by. Biological life may be relative rare. Also, I don't believe in the federation of alien races - it seems like a conflict between alien and native factions and between alien and alien factions.
edit on 19-4-2013 by EnPassant because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by EnPassant

Much of it is too hostile and 'goldilocks' zones are hard to come by.

Goldilocks Zones are not definitive of where life could exist , They're a rough guide we use and are subject to change .

The term was introduced nearly two decades ago, and hasn’t been substantively updated since then. That’s why Penn State researchers wanted to take a look at the zone with open eyes — and new data on how planetary atmospheres absorb heat from their stars

Taking into account those new findings, the Penn State team suggests that the potentially habitable zone around planets should be pushed back, farther away from stars. That new definition could bring some farther away planets into the fold of life-sustaining planets, and goes down as great news for people who hope tauntauns are a real thing somewhere..
New Definition Boots Earth Out Of ‘Goldilocks Zone’

Data from the Kepler space telescope now shows us rather than being rare as we once thought planets are common and almost all stars have planets , given there's an estimated 300 billion Stars in the Milky Way alone there's a lot of chance for life to develop out there .
Just yesterday Two Earth like planets described as Water Worlds were announced by NASA found by kepler space telescope .

ATS thread on the discovery
NASA live: Astronomers discover Earth-like planets believed to have oceans,
I believe that we will discover that life is relatively common throughout the Galaxy and Universe , even in our Solar System

edit on 19-4-2013 by gortex because: Edit to add

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

I appreciate all you say but the abundance of life in the universe is based on the idea that life arises spontaneously by itself, by accident and random mutations. But if life is overseen by beings that supervise evolution then life will only emerge if these beings/God chooses to evolve it. In other words it depends on whether physical life is an expression of spiritual processes and spiritual evolution.
edit on 19-4-2013 by EnPassant because: made it better!

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I agree that alien life(not all) will be very similar to us, specially if they are from planets very similar to ours. Breathing the same air, drinking the same water, and able to stand our u.v rays.

However, as for their purposes and intentions, it will never be clear.

If it was resources or slaves that they were after, then they would of done so a long time ago with little force.

It possible that they are incredibly curious on our social structures, and believe systems, as to why many would assume that they were viewed as gods. Not only that, a civilization that has such technology and social structure has been around long enough, were they are dare called ancient. However, you look them, and you see the future in someways.

If that is true, then we would ancient relics to them.

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join