It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Levee Breached in London Mills Illinois, Town Being Evacuated

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Another day, another town being evacuated. This one hits close to home for me because Im in the Red River Valley and we could see some huge flooding and possible levee breaches. This is still a breaking story, not much info out there yet.

According to local authorities the National Guard is on the way to help rescue residents.

centralillinoisproud.com...
edit on 18-4-2013 by lcbjr1979 because: add state to title

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by lcbjr1979

I assume this is in the USA. IS it? It could also be in England or do we assume that if it does not have a country we should just default to the USA.

P

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Yes, in Illinois. I just copy and pasted the title. I will edit it now to make sure the state is in there. Thank you, I never would have noticed.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
The town has about 400 people in it so it should not be too bad to get them all out. The river in question is the Spoon River. That part of the country has had some nasty weather as of late.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I have family in Southern IL, so this thread really grabbed my attention.

Coming from cinewsnow.com now:

"I've never see it this high, so I don't know. I don't know when it's supposed to crest or anything so I don't know how much more it's going to come up," said resident David Watkins Thursday as he watched the water creep closer and closer to his home. Residents in London Mills say they are no stranger to flooding from the Spoon River, but some are saying this is the fastest they've ever seen it rise. "Got up this morning and took a look out the window and it was just pretty crazy to see," said London Mills resident Dustin Knox.

link   
Not to mention the sinkhole in Chicago which swallowed three cars...
edit on 18-4-2013 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by lcbjr1979

Yes, in Illinois. I just copy and pasted the title. I will edit it now to make sure the state is in there. Thank you, I never would have noticed.

Message to the rest of the world. You are required to learn and memorize all fifty State names for the USA.

OP, not having a shot at you in particular, just at the atypical of many US posters on ATS. If someone is posting from any other country, the give the county's name. As I said, USA must be the default. I just don't know what to call this. Is it arrogance, I can't think of what to call it, arrogance is not right though.

What river, is it a river? The link goes to a local news story fit for locals. Some more info please for those of us who don't live in the US. Now if this is the Mississippi, I am interested.

P

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Aqualung2012

I hope your family is far enough away and not in any danger.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

So serious, train tracks washed away

and the whole town being evac by.. boat?

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Nothing against people from another country or anything, but if you read my other posts on this thread you would notice I mentioned the populaion of the town, the name of the river and in my original post I said there is not much info out there yet. That link is the only one out there at this time.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358

Message to the rest of the world. You are required to learn and memorize all fifty State names for the USA.

OP, not having a shot at you in particular, just at the atypical of many US posters on ATS. If someone is posting from any other country, the give the county's name. As I said, USA must be the default. I just don't know what to call this. Is it arrogance, I can't think of what to call it, arrogance is not right though.

What river, is it a river? The link goes to a local news story fit for locals. Some more info please for those of us who don't live in the US. Now if this is the Mississippi, I am interested.

P

You are ridiculous... but that's beside the point. Where else in the world is there an Illinois? We're not here to teach you geography.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Oh thanks, but they're in Harrisburg haha. However, I can only assume that there are many other areas affected by the floods... I predict an uptick in threads related to the New Madrid Zone.

My relatives are close enough to THAT area.
edit on 18-4-2013 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Like I mentioned in my op We are expecting a big flood up here. My town is safe due to a huge flood protection program, but Fargo is in trouble. River could crest at a record high.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Other places

Doesthat answer your question. Arrogance you answer has!

P

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   

We were typing at the same time as you posted your info with more detail.

Thanks for the info.

P

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aqualung2012

Originally posted by pheonix358

P

You are ridiculous... but that's beside the point. Where else in the world is there an Illinois? We're not here to teach you geography.

Pretty sure there is more than one other than US.

I think its fair what phoenix is saying.
edit on 18-4-2013 by amraks because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

No worries man. I just had to get you back lol. I meant no mallace, just having some fun. Hope you didnt take offense to it.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by amraks

ATS has an unwritten rule that thread titles should be exactly what the article you are posting about is. I do it out of habit. Lesson learned. Moving on.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Every single place I noticed on your link was within the US. Anyways, this is as far as I will negate the actual topic by arguing how ridiculous you are.

(Btw, I thought you were a different Phoenix[threenumbers] I had admonished in another thread, but no)
edit on 18-4-2013 by Aqualung2012 because: Clarification

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
deleted
edit on 4/18/2013 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join