It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago floods: Evacuations, sandbagging as river levels rise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Chicago floods: Evacuations, sandbagging as river levels rise

www.chicagotribune.com

Flooding has closed the Edens, Eisenhower and Kennedy expressways in the Chicago area as a storm that dropped more than five inches of rain since Wednesday continues to soak the region.

The Des Plaines River is expected to reach record levels in Des Plaines and Riverside, according to the National Weather Service, which said the river is already over its banks in many areas.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
chicagotonight.wttw.com
www.cnn.com
edit on 4/18/2013 by semperfortis because: Exact Headline

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
More flooding expected to affect 500 to 1,000 homes at the Chain O’Lakes. Many roads and interstates have also been closed due to the flooding.

Chicago's underground system that manages sewer backup and flooding has reached its capacity and apparently they had to reroute it towards Lake Michigan.

I hope everyone is ok and that they are able to protect their property or at least evacuate in time, stay safe people!

edit on 18-4-2013 by Dominar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
as of right now it's only a steady drizzling...but it's still early. yesterday's rain was crazier! my umbrella was my spartan shield!! although I read it was supposed to thunderstorm from 1p-1a...

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Yup a steady drizzle... But then the weirdest thing happened on my cell phone. It was a Warning alert stating this will extent until 8pm tonight.... No text just a message on my Iphone.... Never had that before.... Is that new???

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

The Flash Flood Warning in Northeastern Illinois is active for approximately the next 6 hours according to The National Weather Service.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Just saw this on Liveleak, pretty scary.

The hole was aparently created by a broken watermain and the heavy rain just added to it.

Video show one of the cars go in to the hole
Sinkhole swollows 3 cars

News coverage.

edit on 18-4-2013 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Dominar

Ealier today Elmhurst declared a State of Emergency..... My Fiance's Brother's Basement flooded.... And the Ducks are currently having a lot of fun... IMHO~

Ohhhh oh... And get this the Perma Seal building flooded as well.... How's that for irony lol~

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Nice find~ I'm wondering with Chicago being build over a marshland and the type of flooding that's happening... I wonder if the same could happen downtown..... If I hear the Drake is sinking
Yeowzers..... Just saying....

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I live just south of Chicago in Tinley Park.... I posted these pics in a thread about the sink hole, but i guess they work here too...

i1269.photobucket.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
This is a really big storm

It stretches from Texas all the way up to Canada.

NOAA/NWS Storm Prediction Center

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

She's right about the police didn't come. They never come especially on the south side were the majority of blacks are

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sam_inc

Well i don't know anything about that, but the fire department showed up and did get the guy out of the hole, so i would guess thats alright, they are the one to take care of these things, not the police.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
It really wasn't too bad (it was still bad enough), took 3.5 hours to drive what normally takes 1.25 hrs (In a Semi with a flatbed carrying steel "slinky" coils) The problem is, the people on the road who know better but still try to sail across the ponds, My big rig can make it through, but the whole road is shut down because 4 wheelers can't.

The flood tunnel seems to have made things worse. I moved out of my apartment because it kept flooding, never used to flood, untill they got grants for the giant tunnel and for some reason they installed plugs in the sewers, if the water gets too high, they stop water from going down the sewer, well, on the south side because of Lake Michigan's water table or water level, they raised the streets for the sewers, when it rains and the plugs activate, the water pours down into our yards and into our basements, in my case my apartment, had plans of building a cinderblock wall this week end, (only need about 2 feet height) might spend it drying out the apartment instead.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Dominar

I am in St Louis and is has been raining a steady downpour all day. Much of the bottoms are already flooded and all that fell up there still has to come down. We will not be looking at a low river year like we did last year and I feel sorry for areas south of us around Cairo, IL They will have some huge river surges in the coming days as it all drains down. Corn prices were on the down swing but will go up after this year as farmers won't be able to plant until the water goes away and that won' happen for some time. Anyone who already planted wheat is looking at a significant crop loss ion this area as it is under water.

new topics

top topics

join