It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is not enough honest language on ATS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I've noticed people try to use words like smurfing or using numbers to hide cuss words. Why does ATS ban cuss words. How are we supposed to except the evil in the world if we can't accept using a nasty word to convey a thought that would take three sentences to right. No, I'm not an uneducated idiot. Just putting another view out there.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by LastStarfighter

Personally, I think profanity one of the basest forms of communication. Although you are correct in one aspect...sometimes the only word that works is a curse.

One of the reasons I like ATS so much is I don't have to wade through a myriad of posts full of explicit language, name calling, and the like. I get my fill of that nonsense on YouTube.

S&F for putting your opinion out there.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

It is simply the atmosphere we wanted to create, a kindler, gentler place of discussion, that is also family friendly. Also, not using inflammatory language tends to make disagreements milder and more manageable. If you really want to swear like a sailor, there are plenty of other forums that do, but we try to set ourselves apart from that.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

i'm with smyleegirl on this one.. while i use the occaisional 5h1t for example, i'd hate to see posts littered with foul language like elsewhere, it'd just drag the collective IQ of the place into the mud. lets be more creative with our language. we can still be rude to folk if we want to, we just have to engage our wits which make for far superior results

edit on 18-4-2013 by skalla because: mis-spelled #, oops

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Why reduce your intellect to the usage of a 4-letter word vocabulary when you can utilize 7-8 letter words that are exceptional alternatives.

I don't mind profanity when it is used in proper context during a conversation. What I do mind is when the profanity is directed to or at someone. That is where I draw the line. Because at the point, when you are discussing or arguing with someone and have to cuss or call names, you have already lost the argument.

On the other hand I can tolerate allot of that. However my pet peeve is the word "WHATEVER".
I personally feel as if that word was clearly designed as a " Quick Retreat For a Weak A$$ Mind ".

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

I was trying to find a good swear word euphemism the other day. I remember one of the cartoons used to say sacafrackindsakljsad, or something, but I couldn't find it or who said it. I thought it was elmer fudd.

Best I could find was:
Sufferin Succotash

Smurf works too though.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I'd love to see more swearing. ATS at times seems very cold, aloof and formal. If swearing was allowed it would bring about a more informal, friendly, family, community atmosphere.

Some of the best maintained, friendliest forums I post on are full of swearing, it's just that people don't swear AT each other. I think the difference for that though is the size. The forums where swearing is acceptable aren't half as big as ATS, so moderating and drawing the line is easier for the admins and mods, plus as these forums are smaller you know people better and there's less chance of some numpty taking offence, because you're dealing with people you know rather than strangers you know nothing about.

These forums are also pretty exclusively non-American message boards, so it's not seen as a big deal as the culture and upbringing of forum members is more liberal, where as I get the feeling there's a lot of people in America who are raised the exact opposite and are genuinely offended, for one odd reason or another, by swear words.

I'd like to see a more common sense approach in future even though it's probably not going to happen. I'm really not offended if someone thinks and says that I'm a f------g idiot. But I'm 100% offended when I'm accused of being a shill or a government agent for having the wrong opinion on some token conspiracy. ATS is proof enough that you can be incredibly rude and offensive without swearing. You shouldn't be allowed to willy nilly dismiss people as plants and shills

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Bleeeeep

Your talking about Yosimite Sam. The rootinest tootin gun slinger alive. One of his swears is "Fricken Frackin".

edit on 18-4-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
And the whole intelligence/IQ argument? That's a funny one. You'd hardly say that ATS has a general high intelligence or IQ to maintain. Half the people here would score low on an IQ test then claim IQ tests are a conspiracy straight after it.

I present you, the most cliched video on the topic of swearing that the internet has ever seen.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I log in to a half naked girl showing me her ass, advertising a dating site - which to me looks more like "sluts here, click here - women are a pieces of meat"

Yet I can't swear...

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

Lol that's him, ty.

www.youtube.com...

Love his temper.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by GrandStrategy

There is no "Argument" it is merely fact. Because those that have the inability to express themselves REDUCE themselves. That within itself says allot about their capacity.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

I have to disagree. There's explaining dissent and expressing dissent. Expressing one self does not need to be explained unless you plan to have a discussion about your dissent.

eta: look at my above post and how I used LOL to express my joy. I do not need to explain that I was happy, as a simple expression did the job.
edit on 4/18/2013 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

eta2: and explaining an expression takes the emotion out of the discussion, so smurf that.

just saying.
edit on 4/18/2013 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum

There is no "Argument" it is merely fact. Because those that have the inability to express themselves REDUCE themselves. That within itself says allot about their capacity.

Is that so? In future when presenting indisputable facts, belittling people in the process, you might care to pay some attention to the fairly significant difference between 'your' and 'you're'. You could also look up the word subjective and, assuming you can read the words under it, recognise that your fact is no fact but merely a subjective - and ignorant, I might add - opinion.

In truth, I could swear every other sentence and my employment of the English language would still be more refined than your own. It might be necessary for you to not swear, lest you look like an uneducated, unintelligent person with your lackluster command of English, but for myself I have no such concern. I know I speak well as I'm paid to do it.

Ta.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Those are indisputable facts. In addition I did not use the word "your".
I was stating that people do in fact reduce themselves when they talk like that.

I would also like to point out that in your haste to form a response you have failed to utilize a spell check which has significantly reduced your credibility as an "educated, intelligent" user of the English Language.

If that is what you are paid to do I might suspect that you are due for a Pay Decrease.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

I think there should be a "feel free to curse" forum on this site for people like you to go on and curse it up as much as they like....Can you imagine that?...oh,all the heat and the drooooling.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
one of the owners gives an explanation somewhere, look for it where you find t&c's listed.
i think it's cause it [snip]their google results.

edit on 18-4-2013 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Those are indisputable facts. In addition I did not use the word "your".

Language isn't your strong point, is it?

"Intellect is a term used in studies of the human mind, and refers to the ability of the mind to come to correct conclusions about what is true or real, and about how to solve problems."

How on earth can the use of four letter swear words reduce intellect? There is no correlation between intellect and swearing. There is no correlation between intelligence and swearing.

To say that the use of four letter words is the cause of low intellect, that using said words actively reduces intellect, is ridiculous. At best you could say people of low intellect happen to swear more. You'd have no evidence or facts for that either, but you could say it. You cannot say that using swear words reduces intellect because it's objectively false. Swear words do not have mystical powers. Brain cells don't evaporate every time you let out a swear. If you have some neuroscientific evidence to say otherwise then present it.

Earlier you said, and I quote, "Your talking about Yosimite Sam." That sentence doesn't make sense. Who is Your?

I was stating that people do in fact reduce themselves when they talk like that.

Yes, and I stated that your assertion is nought but opinionated nonsense.

I would also like to point out that in your haste to form a response you have failed to utilize a spell check which has significantly reduced your credibility as an "educated, intelligent" user of the English Language.

Go on, highlight my mistake.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Well, I would think that someone who thinks they have command of the English Language would know when they have made a spelling error. At this point there is no need to point it out though you might consider purchasing a Spell Checking Program for future reference.

Unfortunately your heated responses may indicate that you act like a sailor and talk like a truck driver on a regular basis. Maybe that is why you are unable to recognize your spelling error.

In any event there is really no need to post a response to this as your credibility as an abstract thinker has been completely destroyed with your inability and negligence at Recognizing your own spelling issues.

That is all.

I'll not be back to this thread so feel free to say what you please.

P.S. .. Deny Your Ignorance and get a Damn Spell Check Program.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Well, I would think that someone who thinks they have command of the English Language would know when they have made a spelling error. At this point there is no need to point it out though you might consider purchasing a Spell Checking Program for future reference.

Unfortunately your heated responses may indicate that you act like a sailor and talk like a truck driver on a regular basis. Maybe that is why you are unable to recognize your spelling error.

In any event there is really no need to post a response to this as your credibility as an abstract thinker has been completely destroyed with your inability and negligence at Recognizing your own spelling issues.

That is all.

I'll not be back to this thread so feel free to say what you please.

P.S. .. Deny Your Ignorance and get a Damn Spell Check Program.

I've checked it twice, there is no error. You're aware that there's a difference between American English and British English, correct?

Your reply is what I expected. You have absolutely no retort to my argument, and the reason you have no retort is because there's none worth making. I'm in the right and you're in the wrong. Your monolithic ego is the only thing getting in the way of you gracefully conceding that fact. Either that or you're too thick to pick up on the fact that you are wrong! All that I've stated is objectively true, all that you've stated is pseudo-intellectual, subjective babble.

Better luck next time.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join