It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unhappy Democrats Need to Wait to Get Into Canada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Already, I've seen several, perhaps many, posts by disgruntled Americans trying to decide where else in the world they can live now that there will be four more years.

For example:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Well, if your thinking of Canada, think again. Canada says, "Get in line!" Americans who are looking to Canada for refuge will have to wait like any other immmigrant and the wait can be up to a year. Officials note that there are already some 600,000 to one million Americans living in Canada.

Unhappy Democrats Need to Wait to Get Into Canada

By David Ljunggren
OTTAWA (Reuters) -
Disgruntled Democrats seeking a safe Canadian haven after President Bush won Tuesday's election should not pack their bags just yet.

Canadian officials made clear on Wednesday that any U.S. citizens so fed up with Bush that they want to make a fresh start up north would have to stand in line like any other would-be immigrants -- a wait that can take up to a year.

"You just can't come into Canada and say 'I'm going to stay here'. In other words, there has to be an application. There has to be a reason why the person is coming to Canada," said immigration ministry spokeswoman Maria Iadinardi.

There are anywhere from 600,000 to a million Americans living in Canada, a country that leans more to the left than the United States and has traditionally favored the Democrats over the Republicans.

But recent statistics show a gradual decline in U.S. citizens coming to work in Canada, which has a creaking publicly funded healthcare system and relatively high levels of personal taxation.

Government officials, real estate brokers and Democrat activists said that while some Americans might talk about a move to Canada rather than living with a new Bush administration, they did not expect a mass influx.

www.reuters.com...

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Grady, in my time I waited 7 years before I could get a green card in the States, "up to a year" wait in Canada is a cakewalk. And winters there are still reasonably warm

As for the reason the Canadian authorities are demanding, we all watch the news... And read the ATS

[edit on 3-11-2004 by Aelita]

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
Grady, in my time I waited 7 years before I could get a green card in the States, "up to a year" wait in Canada is a cakewalk. And winters there are still reasonably warm
[edit on 3-11-2004 by Aelita]

Aelita,

I am assuming that you were seeking to escape the former Soviet Union or its ashes. Obviously, you can't fully appreciate the oppression that must be endured by those poor souls who are American Democrats. To them a year is an eternity.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
That a good one Grady

I'm waiting for the statistics of how many people will leave.

top topics

join