It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some of the ignored issues...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
So...now that Bush has won and the republicans have even more control of the government, what's going to happen with the environment and scientific progress (specifically stem-cell research)?

Now that they don't have to worry about answering to anyone, they'll be able to do whatever they want. Do you think they'll show some restraint or go completely hog-wild?

I guess it's doesn't really matter since people thought "stoppin dem homos from gettin married" was more important than a better environmental policy and cures to a boatload of diseases.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
If I've understood correctly many republicans differ somewhat in their opinions. Also increased power of a party means more incentive to fight for position within the ranks. Both of these factors will likely make the needle less sharp, so to say.

It's also possible that foreign relations will suffer somewhat, but if I understood correctly from the comments of the republican ATS-posters they don't care about rest of the world (or at least they don't care about any foreign opinion about the elections). If they keep "don't care"-policy up to the party level it's not a problem since if US don't mess with the rest of the world rest of the world doesn't mess with US and adverse effects are avoided. But if Bush starts pushing conservative and anti-science agendas globally then it should be remembered that capacitor can't be charged without the plates getting polarized...

But yes I don't expect american enviromentalists to be very happy right now. It's also possible that US science suffers somewhat. European pharmaceutics company recruiters, especially in UK, are probably celebrating their brains out at this very moment. Ironically it was an american who once said: "Brains, like heart, go where they are appreciated" (Robt. McNamara).

[edit on 3-11-2004 by vibetic]

new topics

join