It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiple casualties in Texas fertilizer plant explosion - reports

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Latest from CNN

WHAT'S NEW

-- "It was like a nuclear bomb went off," West Mayor Tommy Muska said.

-- Some 10 to 15 buildings have been "totally demolished" and "probably 50 homes (were) heavily damaged," said George Smith, community emergency medical services director.

-- The fertilizer plant was near an apartment complex and a nursing home, authorities said.

-- Some people might be trapped in collapsed buildings, Smith said.

-- "I expect there's going to be many fatalities and many more injured people," he added.

-- State troopers in gas masks set up roadblocks, waving away cars coming off the highway

PREVIOUSLY REPORTED

The blast

-- A massive explosion hit the West fertilizer plant some 18 miles north of Waco, Texas.

-- At least two emergency medical personnel are dead, said EMS Director Smith.

-- Hillcrest Hospital in Waco was told to anticipate 100 injured people.

-- More than 60 patients were received Wednesday night, hospital CEO Glenn Robinson said, with victims suffering from "blast injuries, orthopedic injuries (and) a lot of lacerations. While some of the injuries are minor, others are "quite serious."

-- A number of nearby residents were being evacuated because of the possibility of another explosion, officials said.

-- Chrystal Anthony said she saw the flames engulf a nursing home and an apartment complex.

The response

-- A field triage station was set up on a football field near the plant, Robinson said.

-- At least six helicopters were flying out the injured, Robinson said. Others were being transported by ambulance, and some were getting to the hospital by car, he added.

-- Aircraft flying below 3,000 feet were banned from going within a 3-mile radius of West, Texas, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

-- Hazardous material teams were being rushed to the scene, an emergency management official said.

-- Texas Gov. Rick Perry was working to get resources into the area, his spokesman said.

-- Anhydrous ammonia is a concern of those in the vicinity of the explosion,Smith said. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, anhydrous ammonia is a pungent gas with suffocating fumes that is used as a fertilizer.

-- Area residents told CNN that they were warned about the toxic substance.

CNN Source

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

I totally understand. When you have this type of thing going on at universities with mass shootings happening in the not so distant past and the Boston bombing, as they were reporting" several other unexploded packages in an ongoing terrorist event" I almost called my wife home from work, just in case.

If things like this keep happening, be it TPTB causing it or a legitimate terrorist group, you can expect to see a real clamp down by the government. Its either designed or they won't have a choice.

I was at the grocery store earlier today and notice that either I am a pretty paranoid guy, or everyone was looking at everyone else in the store with extreme unease. If anything has been shown over the past months is that you don't know who it could be or where its coming from, but it could happen just about anywhere at anytime. The true source is debatable, and the end goal is horrific to think about.

I like to look ahead at the dawn, but man it sure is dark out here right now. But we gotta get through it, and we ain't gonna do it alone.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie
America appears to be under attack.

Don't terrorist need/use fertilizer for their bombs?
Would it make sense to blow up fertilizer plants?

Considering that we've been having factory explosions occur around the world all year long, I'm going with 'accident'.

This isn't unusual considering the chemicals at the plants are volatile, people are just a little on edge and freaking out.

I think everyone should take a breath.

- Lee

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Heck, I've got a wife that I have to convince every now and then that everythings gonna be alright. North Korea isn't gonna nuke us. This isn't the end of days. Then when she walks away satisfied at my answers to her questions I have to convince myself of the same thing.

These times are scary, no doubt. And I certainly wasn't trying to make enemies with you, so I do apologise for coming off very condescending. I think its safe to say my nerves are a little worked up at the moment.
reply to post by wondermost

'Nuff said! I am a woman, but divorced, and sometimes so miss being somewhat intentionally reactionary and relying upon a man or significant other to allay my fears, and worry about it for me, as well as convince me. But, alas, that is no longer my life. And so, I have to watch, wait, wonder and think all by myself.....
And I mean no disrespect to wife in that commentary. Thats just part and parcel, I think, of having a mate: we take on so much, the other takes on what the first can't......and that's how it goes. Sometimes it's the other way around,as to the convincing you describe, I think, dependent upon the dynamics of the couple.

But you having explained that says volumes about where you are coming from. And yes, all our nerves are worked up, if we are even half aware and awake.

Glad I gave you a chuckle. We can all use that bout now. When it's all said and done, we wlll only have each other, you know? That's what I believe this is all about, where we are, what's happening, we are being tested, as to our character, our loyalty, our integrity, and our willingness to forgive and sacrifice and have mercy for what else.....our fellow inhabitants in the place we are, right here, right now.

The best to you and your wife. Stay safe. And I will think good thoughts and hopes for you both.
Tetra
edit on 18-4-2013 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

Same to you Tetra50. As long as we have the internet we can, as a community, be here for each other on some level or the other. I know ATS isn't a support group or anything, but rest assured that when TSHTF we will be here for each other as long as we have that danged internet access.

Take care of yourself as well.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by wondermost
reply to post by tetra50

Same to you Tetra50. As long as we have the internet we can, as a community, be here for each other on some level or the other. I know ATS isn't a support group or anything, but rest assured that when TSHTF we will be here for each other as long as we have that danged internet access.

Take care of yourself as well.

No dissing the internet here for how it connects us, but rest assured, when it comes down to it, and it isn't there, the best and the worst in who is here on the planet will appear. I have seen times like those, no power, no food, no ice, no nothing, a suitcase full of cash couldn't get you anything or anywhere........
it was hell, but it was also extremely instructive that there was still life out there that asserted it/themselves to save others, and therefore, save themselves. It is possible. It is real. And it is truly, the only way.....

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by wondermost
reply to post by ButterCookie

I totally understand. When you have this type of thing going on at universities with mass shootings happening in the not so distant past and the Boston bombing, as they were reporting" several other unexploded packages in an ongoing terrorist event" I almost called my wife home from work, just in case.

If things like this keep happening, be it TPTB causing it or a legitimate terrorist group, you can expect to see a real clamp down by the government. Its either designed or they won't have a choice.

I was at the grocery store earlier today and notice that either I am a pretty paranoid guy, or everyone was looking at everyone else in the store with extreme unease. If anything has been shown over the past months is that you don't know who it could be or where its coming from, but it could happen just about anywhere at anytime. The true source is debatable, and the end goal is horrific to think about.

I like to look ahead at the dawn, but man it sure is dark out here right now. But we gotta get through it, and we ain't gonna do it alone.

Agreed

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

You are absolutely correct in this one! I'm not sure that our paths would ever cross under such circumstances, but I hope the people that are around us if a situation is to unfold are cut from the same cloth that you are.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I've worked in the blasting industry.
One of the posters is right..You need diesel fuel to make Amex.

BUT

I'm sure there were all kinds of chemicals at that plant that could be used as a catylist.
I.m guessing bad management on this one.

Prayers for those affected/

edit on 18-4-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by wondermost

Trust me on this, the "cut from the same cloth" is almost gone from this Country. Thats why ATS is my Facebook. I refuse to do the Facebook crap but ATS has "real" (sometimes) people in them.

Anyway, the People who truly want to protect there family and help others, even through 1's and 0's, are great on this site. I have been here a long time and there have been certain times I decided not to be involved in this site at all but when the ish hits the fan I know there is true Information I can rely on.

edit on 18-4-2013 by hoochymama because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Death count up to 70 www.presstv.ir...

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

I'm can't believe they built housing right up against a factory that produces these types of volatile compounds. I lived in Texas City until a couple of months ago, and the chemical refineries there would occasionally explode or leak something hazardous, we've been in the news a few times because of various events.

There's nothing but tree space for about a half mile before you have any dwellings. It's the chemical leaks that are the big danger. But they've a pretty robust and quickly responsive alert system. You get phone calls, texts, and emails along with a siren.

Here's something I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Authorities dealing with a huge explosion at a fertilizer plant near Waco, Texas, were preparing for a possible shift in the winds that could push toxic clouds toward areas not yet affected by the disaster, officials said early Thursday.

West, Texas, explosion: Toxic cloud could be spread by strong winds

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I hope this is an acident (if you can hope for an accident that is)...but it is a coincidence about this plant being at Waco and the siege ending the 19th of April....

Maybe a disgruntled ex member of the Davidians responsable for both here and Boston or maybe the son of a member who died there, who knows !!

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by hoochymama

That was absolutely insane. That caught me completely off guard, wow.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   

wowzers thats some blast.

How can manufacturers of this stuff not be more careful.

does a farmer forget to put up fences?! no.

Is that more or less dangerous than explosives! hell no, so come on chemical plant people stop being so damned stupid!

edit on 18-4-2013 by Biigs because: Stupid youtube links arrrugh

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I don't know if anyone linked this disaster in 1947, but it happened because of a fire aboard ships carrying ammonium nitrate. It wasn't ships carrying ammonium nitrate mixed with diesel fuel, just ammonium nitrate.

Wikipedia: Texas City Disaster

Here is another page regarding how ammonium nitrate can explode during a fire: Wikipedia: Ammonium Nitrate Disasters

There are two major classes of incidents resulting in explosions: In the first case, the explosion happens by the mechanism of shock to detonation transition. The initiation happens by an explosive charge going off in the mass, by the detonation of a shell thrown into the mass, or by detonation of an explosive mixture in contact with the mass. The examples are Kriewald, Morgan, Oppau, Tessenderlo and Traskwood. In the second case, the explosion results from a fire that spreads into the ammonium nitrate (AN) itself (Texas City, Brest, Oakdale), or to a mixture of an ammonium nitrate with a combustible material during the fire (Repauno, Cherokee). The fire must be confined at least to a degree for successful transition from a fire to an explosion (a phenomenon known as "deflagration to detonation transition", or DDT). Pure, compact AN is stable and very difficult to initiate. However, there are numerous cases when even impure AN did not explode in a fire. Ammonium nitrate decomposes in temperatures above 210 °C. Pure AN is stable and will stop decomposing once the heat source is removed, but when catalysts are present (combustible materials, acids, metal ions, chlorides. ..) the reaction can become self-sustaining (known as self-sustaining decomposition, SSD). This is a well-known hazard with some types of NPK fertilisers, and is responsible for the loss of several cargo ships.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Wow....that video was nuts. That was a huge explosion. Saw this distant pic of it and thought it would give a good idea of just how big this was....

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

I know it's a massive blast, but I can't help but think it isn't any bigger than the 2000lb JDAMS dropped over seas.

I was really unhappy to hear them talk about this in comparison to a nuclear explosion.

I mean, I get it, but at the same time it's totally nothing alike.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
My grandfather lives in West. Not in the actual city but maybe 10 minutes away or so. Thankfully he was not hurt and is watching events unfold on the television but it was a very stressful few hours trying to reach him this morning. He is retired "Special" in the military (whatever that means) so I assume that if this was a false flag he would have been told to get out. =P

I feel very bad for the people that have been killed or hurt. I haven't checked in a few hours. I hope they found the other 3 firemen that were missing. Homes just leveled within 5 blocks for the explosion. Whether this was just an accident or planned... I agree with some others that have posted on this and other threads about the recent events unfolding and really feel strongly that we ARE under attack. Some how, some way. Whether it be from the society that we feed that has deteriorated beyond belief or from outside sources. It is a shame, I hope we can pull our selves out of it soon. I will pray for those families that have lost lives or been injured. I hope everyone else out there takes the time to pray to whomever or whatever they worship for the relief of these families suffering.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Let's assume the blast was intentional. Fertilizer is used for growing crops, yes? Well, seeing as the country is coming close to the possibility of a famine due to bad growing conditions, the loss of a fertilizer manufacturing plant could only make it worse. This may have long-term, widespread repercussions.

Conspiracy theory of the moment: FEMA, while not responsible for the explosion, has come one step closer to getting the populace to semi-voluntarily give up their freedom for the assurance of a regular meal. Complete control is on the horizon.

edit on 18-4-2013 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2    4 >>

join