It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

major explosion reported at fertilizer plant near Waco, TX

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013

Originally posted by IamAbeliever
reply to post by magma

Fertilizer, when mixed with other chemicals, is extremely explosive. It was used in the Oklahoma City bombing. But to answer your question, it's uncommon to have an explosion at a plant.

From what I read on the BBC, the only other fertilizer accident was in Texas in 1947 when transport vessels in the dock exploded. They mention that it is still the most deadly industrial accident in US history.

The West Fertilizer company also stated that the plant posed no risk of fire or explosion, this is apparently on record. But that cannot be true, because they stored Anhydrous ammonia, which has to be contained at high pressure, creates a highly volatile gas, and is extremely explosive when in contact with air.

If this is an accident, then someone in relation to that plant, and possibly someone in relation to the local authorities, lied about the risks posed by this plant - corruption.

Still, it's an incredible coincidence that this happened 20 miles from Waco, on the anniversary of the tragedy, and days after a deadly terrorist attack in Boston, and while politicians are receiving Ricin tainted letters in the post

What are the chances of all these things happening in the same week?

To me that seems somewhat orchestrated.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
Just been reading this report on it. Sounds horrific, wish all the best to the inhabitants.

Th e Independent

The bit that really caught my eye was the eyewitness saying "it was a small fire and then water got sprayed on the ammonium nitrate and it exploded just like the Oklahoma City bomb".

The reason i brought this up originally is that in a chemical fire, isn't water the last thing you want to be using? Shouldn't it be foam for chemical fires? In which case, there is a possible reason for such a violent explosion - if, as the witness claims, the fire was pretty much under control at that point.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent008
Crazy lady from Westboro Church is tweeting some very nasty things....
twitter.com...
Things I cannot quote here in fear of getting my ass banned, but! Im sure you all know what the "church" is all aobut

Wish she was inside that explosion.....

Right, I've had enough of those freaks. They should be in a cell, being questioned as potential terrorists right now!
The things she is saying on Twitter for all to read are almost threats, they are almost sounding like admissions of guilt. In any sane country they would be rounded up as potential extremists.

Why is this group allowed to make such statements publicly!? If that were a Muslim person, they would be in a cell already! But because they radical Christians they're different?

You know, two young people from the UK were held on arrival in the US and then deported straight back to the UK, even though nothing was found on them - all based on the one Tweet one of them made stating they were going to "destroy" America (as in party hard). But this insane Christian freak can go on Twitter every day calling for death and destruction, celebrating the murder of children, and nothing happens at all?!

Someone needs to start a petition in the US to get these freaks in custody. They are mentally unstable, the are religious extremists, and they are publicly glorying in the deaths of others. That's not freedom of speech, that's the threat of potential terrorists.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Does that mean the fire department used the wrong extinguisher?

Surely hope not. But maybe that is the true cause.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by magma

That is what i am thinking but i really don't want to say it because, lets face it, in small town America it is volunteer fire crews, not paid up professionals. Basically, just well meaning locals that do not always appear fully trained (extremely brave and caring people, in other words).

If it is the case it would clearly only be a well meaning accident. I must stress though this is only pure speculation based on what the eye witness is claiming he saw.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Power_Semi
However, judging from the use of language it does seem the authorities are trying to paint this as an Islamic attack on the USA.

"Twin bombs" - what on earth are twin bombs? There were 2 bombs, they should be saying 2 bombs, not twin bombs.

It is obviously meant to allude to the twin towers and 911.

Propaganda.

Literally just heard that phrase on the BBC and thought the same thing. Script = Twin bombs, that is the vernacular most MSM sites are using.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by magma
reply to post by Flavian

I just looked at our emergency readiness guide on the ambulance which has all chems and risks. Anhydrous ammonia is not reactive with water. Water shouldnt be a problem unless they cooled a tank off to quickly
edit on 18-4-2013 by cavscout11cav because: typos

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by cavscout11cav

Interesting and thanks for that. It just struck me a possibility, hence my reluctance to say it in the first place. Most chemical fires are not to be treated by water but clearly it was ok in this instance.

I do actually mean the thanks as well. It wasn't something i wanted to draw attention to as any volunteer fire service deserves the ultimate praise, in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   

A double explosion in Boston. A suspicious letter sent to a US Senator, followed by another suspicious letter to the White House. A man stopped and questioned by Capitol Hill police over his backpack.

This series of suspicious events took place within 48 hours, and the US is only halfway through the week.

Authorities are not officially linking the events together, but they are trying to determine the significance of their timing. Meanwhile, observers following these developments have already started to question if the incidents were staged.

Alex Jones, a widely known conspiracy theorist who broadcasts mostly on the internet and radio, suggested that the Boston bombings were a false flag--in other words, a secretive operation carried out by the government to make it seem like it was committed by another agency.

If the allegations of a false flag are true, the US government would have blood on its hands. Three people were killed in the Boston blasts including an 8-year-old boy. More than 160 people are reported to be injured including people who lost limbs in the explosions. Some say that the US government could be carrying out an agenda unbeknownst to the public.

In the aftermath of the Boston explosions, the FBI also reported two suspicious letters sent to a US Senator and another sent to US President Obama. Preliminary tests indicate that the letters were laced with ricin, a very toxic and deadly poison. But officials have not confirmed that the chemical found is indeed ricin, giving some to doubt whether they are being truthful.

As investigators seemingly piece together clues, it's difficult to ascertain if this week's events are intertwined. But the occurrences are raising suspicion over what caused them, who caused them and what the true motivations are.

www.presstv.ir...

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by grimghost

Which way do you think it will end up?

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
First of all my heart goes out to all the victims and families and I'm probably going to get slated for my point of view but everyones entitled to one, right?

Am I one of the few seeing any sense in this? I know its a conspiracy site , but come on! If reports are correct that there was an unextinguished fire from earlier in the day, 2+2 by my reckoning usually equals 4! the only more dangerous place to have a fire would be an offshore platform or oil tanker!

I know because of the bombings at the weekend a lot of people are jumping on the terrorist/government bandwagon, but this was a low population town. why not choose one of the many other fertiliser plants nearer a densley populated area to exact your 'jihad'?

I put it down to poor health and safety regulations and human error

slate away...

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout11cav

reply to post by Flavian

I just looked at our emergency readiness guide on the ambulance which has all chems and risks. Anhydrous ammonia is not reactive with water. Water shouldnt be a problem unless they cooled a tank off to quickly

Which could lead to an explosive device being the catylist or twins?

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by connelly4245
First of all my heart goes out to all the victims and families and I'm probably going to get slated for my point of view but everyones entitled to one, right?

Am I one of the few seeing any sense in this? I know its a conspiracy site , but come on! If reports are correct that there was an unextinguished fire from earlier in the day, 2+2 by my reckoning usually equals 4! the only more dangerous place to have a fire would be an offshore platform or oil tanker!

I know because of the bombings at the weekend a lot of people are jumping on the terrorist/government bandwagon, but this was a low population town. why not choose one of the many other fertiliser plants nearer a densley populated area to exact your 'jihad'?

I put it down to poor health and safety regulations and human error

slate away...

I'm not going to slate you

The problem is that these events are all rare. We have two deadly explosions on Patriot's Day in Boston, also on tax day, and Boston is the home of a historical and revolutionary revolt. That is all indicative of a home-grown extremist.
The style of the devices is more indicative of a foreign terrorist act.

This explosion is also an extremely rare event, and it occurred 20 miles from Waco, on the anniversary of that event. This would also tie into a home-grown radical anti-government sentiment.

At the same time, there are suspicious letters being sent to the President and another politician, which would also seem to suggest a home-grown fanatic with political motive.

Aside from the style of the bombs in Boston, everything is telling me that there is a connection, and that the connection is a small group of American political extremists who have a problem with the government. The probability of all these things all happening at once is enough to raise some serious questions.

I have also see a report someone else posted, from a local TV station, with a recording of the initial emergency call from the plant, in which the caller stated that there had been an explosion. They attended the fire that resulted from that explosion, and then the larger explosion occurred.

Basic probability tells me that while this could all be a coincidence, there are too many things all happening at once, and seemingly with significance, for it to be an accident.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout11cav

reply to post by Flavian

Which could lead to an explosive device being the catylist or twins?

Water might not react with Anhydrous ammonia, but high pressure containers and the reaction with oxygen is the issue.
The water could indeed have caused this, because these are pressurized metal tanks. If they have been heated at extreme temperatures, and then you pour water on them, they explode, the reaction of Anhydrous ammonia and oxygen then causes that larger explosion.

This is why foam is used on tanker fires in my opinion. You don't pour water on hot metal containers with chemicals and explosive gasses at pressure within, you cover it all in foam to prevent an explosion.

If they used water, they could indeed have caused the tanks to rupture than the chemical reaction of Anhydrous ammonia meeting oxygen is the dangerous part.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
wow Sorry did not mean to do that. Been having problems this am with posting replies. Big sorry folks,
edit on 18-4-2013 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Rocker2013

Maybe they already know that's the cause.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   

I really hope it isn't the water that caused the explosion. Could you imagine being one of the volunteer firefighters and having to live with that knowledge?

If it does turn out to be the cause, i would attach absolutely no blame to them and would instead implore our ATS US citizens to put the pressure on the Federal Government and insist they ay least pay for full training for these crews.

As to how rare these events are, as far as i am aware the last serious fertiliser explosion (accidental) was in Toulouse in 2001, when 29 people died.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   

I'll give you that it is all a bit weird all these things that happened. I didnt say in my post that I thought the Boston bombings were an accident. I've seen the videos and they definetley were bombs from what i seen.

I'm not really clued up on what happened in Waco, I had a quick browse on wiki. Don't you think though that if this was somehow linked with what happened that they would have done something IN Waco maybe ON the day of the anniversary? (notice my use of capitals to emphasise? lol) Surely if its somehow related to what happened there, the (supposed) culprits would have a gripe with the FBI? Not a bunch of civilians with no connection whatsoever to WaCO.

I still say human error, I'm an engineer on boats and I have plenty of personal experience of how human error can have devastating consequences

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by connelly4245

Very true, human error is nearly always at blame in tragedies like this. Corporations also know this, hence the modern obsession with finding out who is to blame for every little thing (if it can be pinned on someone, it absolves the company).

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
PREDICTION:

If the official story here is that this was an accident, it will be claimed on ATS that it's a conspiracy, no way was it a coincidence, so it must have been a terrorist attack and the "gub'ment" are covering it up.

If they say it was a terrorist attack, it will be claimed on ATS that it's a conspiracy, it was a "false flag" operation conducted by the "gub'ment" in order to take away your rights.

If they say it was a right wing US terrorist attack it will be claimed on ATS that it's definitely a conspiracy in the form of a false flag attack by the "gub'ment" designed to take away your rights AND your guns.

If they say it was an Islamic terrorist attack because they "hate America" etc, then you'll want to go and bomb the # out of someone - and you'll find a way to shoehorn a conspiracy into that as well!

LoL - it's just a strange feeling I have - there's a conspiracy in there somewhere

edit on 18-4-2013 by Power_Semi because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join