It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

major explosion reported at fertilizer plant near Waco, TX

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
weird he mentions murrah building (iraq) to make his comparison.

2 cents

I caught that too.....

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Just said over 50,000 gallons of this stuff stored on site.....

anhydrous ammonia

Safety precautions

The world's longest ammonia pipeline, running from the TogliattiAzot plant in Russia to Odessa in Ukraine.
The U. S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has set a 15-minute exposure limit for gaseous ammonia of 35 ppm by volume in the environmental air and an 8-hour exposure limit of 25 ppm by volume.[44] NIOSH recently reduced the IDLH from 500 to 300 based on recent more conservative interpretations of original research in 1943. IDLH (Immediately Dangerous to Life and Health) is the level to which a healthy worker can be exposed for 30 minutes without suffering irreversible health effects. Other organizations have varying exposure levels. U.S. Navy Standards [U.S. Bureau of Ships 1962] maximum allowable concentrations (MACs):continuous exposure (60 days): 25 ppm / 1 hour: 400 ppm [45] Ammonia vapour has a sharp, irritating, pungent odour that acts as a warning of potentially dangerous exposure. The average odour threshold is 5 ppm, well below any danger or damage. Exposure to very high concentrations of gaseous ammonia can result in lung damage and death.[44] Although ammonia is regulated in the United States as a non-flammable gas, it still meets the definition of a material that is toxic by inhalation and requires a hazardous safety permit when transported in quantities greater than 13,248 L (3,500 gallons).[46]

[edit] Toxicity

The toxicity of ammonia solutions does not usually cause problems for humans and other mammals, as a specific mechanism exists to prevent its build-up in the bloodstream. Ammonia is converted to carbamoyl phosphate by the enzyme carbamoyl phosphate synthetase, and then enters the urea cycle to be either incorporated into amino acids or excreted in the urine[citation needed]. However, fish and amphibians lack this mechanism, as they can usually eliminate ammonia from their bodies by direct excretion. Ammonia even at dilute concentrations is highly toxic to aquatic animals, and for this reason it is classified as dangerous for the environment.

[edit] Storage information

Similar to propane, anhydrous ammonia boils below room temperature. A storage vessel capable of 250 p.s.i. is suitable to contain the liquid.[47] Ammonium compounds should never be allowed to come in contact with bases (unless in an intended and contained reaction), as dangerous quantities of ammonia gas could be released.

Wiki

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
So we have an explosion in Waco following a traffic stop earlier this week where a pipe bomb was found. (Linked here)

And in OKC there is now a fire at a chemical plant following an empty stolen uhaul in downtown OKC earlier today.

www.koco.com... html?utm_campaign=koco+eyewitness+news+5&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=hootsuite

I'm sorry, I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around these multiple "coincidences".

This is CRAZY!

Related ATS thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 4/17/2013 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

Add a couple of older men in Eastern Oregon to that list but they just managed to blow themselves up on Sunday.

www.katu.com...

Then there was the The Pricker guy who also blew himself up:
www.latimes.com... aign=Feed%3A+lanowblog+%28L.A.+Now%29

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
weird he mentions murrah building (iraq) to make his comparison.

2 cents

The Murrah building was the Oklahoma Bombing that used a fertilizer bomb. That is probably why the comparison.

~OkieDokie

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
There are now many Youtube videos stealing this guys content to use for there own use. If you want to see the original video go here:

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by six67seven

I'm referring to the blast from the left. What explains the second source? It almost looks like a fireball or something. Just trying to understand how a fertilizer plant fire could account for this.
edit on 18-4-2013 by followtheevidence because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by hoochymama

removed
edit on 18-4-2013 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by GuidedKill

OMG. Can you imagine being told you can't leave that hell!?

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma
reply to post by Ormuz

Thanks!

It doesn't sound like the statement of an Islamic fundamentalist terrorist but rather someone with extreme eco-views.

It's actually a very stupid remark (he admits it) by a guy who thought it was a funny thing to say. Check the page again. People have lambasted him for his arrogant stupidity.

link   
reply to post by followtheevidence

watch the video again. the shake of the video shows the area to the left... theres nothing there. just far reaching flame and/or smoke

link   
removed mine as well.
edit on 18-4-2013 by hoochymama because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by hoochymama
Up close video of explosion. Not sure if this is the same one on TV but I believe this is the original. Crazy.

Edit: If you dont want to watch the whole video, the explosion happens around the :27 mark.

edit on 17-4-2013 by hoochymama because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-4-2013 by hoochymama because: (no reason given)

I was about to post this video if no one else had.... I am glad you did though. Such a scary and heart breaking video. The sheer terror in the voice of that kid....

I am just north of Dallas and flipping through my local news stations. At this moment they are confirming only 2-3 deaths but that number is expected to rise much much higher....

Some are speculating hundreds of injuries and perhaps 60-70 deaths....

It's things like this that make me think about just how little time we each have on this earth. We never quite know just when will be our last moment.... As corny as it may sound...If there is anything you can take away from a horrible tragedy like this...It is to make sure that your loved ones know that they are loved....

Put aside petty squabbles and realize.... Just how precious life really is.

Peace love and truth.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by followtheevidence
reply to post by six67seven

I'm referring to the blast from the left. What explains the second source? It almost looks like a fireball or something. Just trying to understand how a fertilizer plant fire could account for this.
edit on 18-4-2013 by followtheevidence because: (no reason given)

I did not wanna be the first to say it but it did look like a fireball, almost like something was shot into it

just saying... dont flame me
edit on 18-4-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   

maybe im missing something here ...

one picture i see is this one ....

so how does the dad and daughter survive something that rips the side of a building ?

something doesn't seem to fit.

Muzz

edit on 18/4/2013 by Ormuz because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
reply to post by GuidedKill

OMG. Can you imagine being told you can't leave that hell!?

They don't WANT to leave.

That's their homes, their community -- West is a very tiny town and one of their main industries was the Czech bakery restaurants along the interstate. Like all small Texas communities, there's a great sense of neighborhood and place. No matter how destroyed, they really don't want to go. They want to get back to their homes and look for the touchstones in their lives.

link   

Originally posted by CalibratedZeus
Rekindling from a fire earlier in the day....

Someone in the fire company screwed the pooch, should have had constant water on overnight, being so close to, well, a giant bomb....

Not sure why my posts are not showing up....

I had typed that you are correct if this is what happened. My husband works at a sawmill and if any welding (or the like) has to be done 2 people are required to stay at least 5 hours to "fire watch". Sometimes longer depending on the job. A lot of questions to be sure.
edit on 4/18/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Here are three screenshots in chronological order showing the flash coming from the left. I opted for the three shots to allow for viewers who have not been following the thread to see why we're all talking about this one picture.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   

good point, comment removed - trying to wrap my head around everything

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
MSNBC on TV is showing massive fires. They are comparing it to the Murray Building in the OKC bombing.

The blast could be felt 50 miles away, 75-100 homes/businesses are destroyed. Residents are advised to go inside due to toxic fumes and secondary explosions!

Are we living out the 1998 movie "The Siege"?

Just something to consider...

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by unblinded
Here are three screenshots in chronological order showing the flash coming from the left. I opted for the three shots to allow for viewers who have not been following the thread to see why we're all talking about this one picture.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join