It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First discovery of a pre-Columbian port on the Gulf Coast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
For many decades archaeologists have been looking for a riverine/sea port on the east coast of central America - this seems to be an excellent possibility - will it be as great as Arikamedu or a disappointment?

We shall see

The precise dating of all the strata remains unclear, however, most artefacts are from the early Postclassic period (AD 900-1200) and suggest a short lived activity of less than a hundred years.

First discovery of a pre-Columbian port on the Gulf Coast

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Thank you, Hans. This got me all excited, but the linked article is not terribly informative and the 'port' seems rather a modest affair—just one stone structure that might be a pier, and the rest are religious or funerary structures. I suppose it's early days yet.

Still, that will not stop our enthusiastic friends here. They'll be having the Tuxpans trading with the lords of Atlantis for unobtainium in a post or two, just watch.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Fascinating stuff Hans

As close to the coast as it is, I wonder was just a riverine port or was it for coastal trade ad well.
And if it was I wonder how far the traders reach extended.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

(Your source) :

This all contributes to the theory that this ceremonial centre had the function of controlling maritime traffic in the area of the river and the mangroves. Some scholars have suggested it was an important port, where the marketplace was so large that the 15th century Aztec Triple Alliance made a serious effort to hold it as a tributary province, an area also important for cotton production, a resource that could not be planted in the Highlands.

Very good one Hans. In my opinion, what it makes this discovery remarkable is the location. I strongly believe there was commercial exchange between Central American and South American Pre-Columbian Cultures, evidence had been presented and discussed many times here.

For that reason, I'd expect such a discovery made by the opposite side of the continent, at the Pacific Ocean Coast, where most of the pre-columbian cultures developed.

Now I wonder about a possible relation between Aztecs and other unknown culture.

top topics

join