It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Athanasius Kircher's ATLANTIS map meets Google Earth

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
While all of this is interesting to speculate upon, I can't find any evidence that shows that sea levels were more than 120m lower than present day, and that level was approximately 20,000 years ago, during the last Glacial Maximum. Therefore, I personally find it unlikely that the seamount in question was above water during recorded human history. As much as I want to believe that this area was "Atlantis", the evidence points to the area having been underwater at the time. I am open to convincing otherwise, if anyone can find a different set of numbers, though!!
edit on 18-4-2013 by Vonotar because: Original post was too depressing

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Ok lets look at the Legend again according to Critias

The island was larger than Ancient Libya and Asia Minor combined

By Libya is meant Africa if they some how knew Africa was extremely large Asia minor would be roughly the Middle east,that lay within the pillars of Heracles

our view

The ancient Greek's view roughly the same.
Now beyond the pillars of Herakles if you don't want to get into trouble by sighting a Pangia event then your next stop in monumental civilization has got to be Meso-America,but there are problems with this no one believes that a confederation of Native American kings invaded Europe and Africa and were turned back by the Greeks.

Plato introduced Atlantis in Timaeus: For it is related in our records how once upon a time your State stayed the course of a mighty host, which, starting from a distant point in the Atlantic ocean, was insolently advancing to attack the whole of Europe, and Asia to boot. For the ocean there was at that time navigable; for in front of the mouth which you Greeks call, as you say, 'the pillars of Heracles,' there lay an island which was larger than Libya and Asia together; and it was possible for the travelers of that time to cross from it to the other islands, and from the islands to the whole of the continent over against them which encompasses that veritable ocean. For all that we have here, lying within the mouth of which we speak, is evidently a haven having a narrow entrance; but that yonder is a real ocean, and the land surrounding it may most rightly be called, in the fullest and truest sense, a continent. Now in this island of Atlantis there existed a confederation of kings, of great and marvelous power, which held sway over all the island, and over many other islands also and parts of the continent.[3]

According to Critias, 9,000 years before his lifetime a war took place between those outside the Pillars of Hercules at the Strait of Gibraltar and those who dwelt within them. The Atlanteans had conquered the parts of Libya within the Pillars of Hercules as far as Egypt and the European continent as far as Tyrrhenia, and subjected its people to slavery. The Athenians led an alliance of resistors against the Atlantean empire, and as the alliance disintegrated, prevailed alone against the empire, liberating the occupied lands. But at a later time there occurred portentous earthquakes and floods, and one grievous day and night befell them, when the whole body of your warriors was swallowed up by the earth, and the island of Atlantis in like manner was swallowed up by the sea and vanished; wherefore also the ocean at that spot has now become impassable and unsearchable, being blocked up by the shoal mud which the island created as it settled down

No mainstream historian believed the above took place,but there may well be wars between the Dorians (pre-Greeks) and folks like the Therans who did possessed their lands during the late bronze to early Iron ages,again Thera did blow-up and may have well been the inspiration for the plagues of Egypt during the time of Moses and migration and upheavals on both sides of the Med.
edit on 18-4-2013 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Here's a little better one, I think. Obviously, the Kircher Map is extremely crude, but it's kind of remarkable how much stuff it got right. Relative position. Central mountain peak. Shape that doesn't exactly follow the Mid-Atlantic Ridge. Large gulf to the southeast. North America (Grand Banks) with as many as two islands near it (one for sure).

Drop the sea level to old Ice Age levels, shift the plates with underlying magma domes, adjust the cartography a little bit here and there, and it's not a tremendously bad match. Could be worse.

edit on 18-4-2013 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by spiritualarchitect

The Greenland thing was based purely off of what in my mind the drawn map looked like... A little searching and that site came up, and I thought it was well put together that's why I linked to it.

As someone else already stated, Greenland has been under ice for a long time so that pretty much rules it out as a viable candidate.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

Why did Atlantis invade the Mediterranean?
Sea lanes.
If the map is correctly showing this underwater landmass, what becomes of Plato’s tale?
Because then the map itself exist with or without Plato.
Was the tale, which was Egyptian, become an invention form an ancient Egyptian map?

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Vonotar

“As much as I want to believe that this area was "Atlantis", the evidence points to the area having been underwater at the time.”

pre•dic•a•ment

A difficult, unpleasant, or embarrassing situation.

If the map is an accurate representation of the arrowhead landmass that would mean the landmass was above water at some point in time.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedShirt73
Just a theory but what if atlantis was above water during the last ice age. Once the ice dams broke a tsunami of water destroyed any and all civilizations that lived on these islands. This would explain the story of atlantis getting wiped out in one day.

We know that large scale catastrophes can happen. We're a lot more used to that idea these days, since we've seen what can happen with earthquakes and tsunamis and meteorite strikes. Even Plato knew about asteroid and meteor strikes, since he himself says in Timeas:

Helios, having yoked the steeds in his father's chariot, because he was not able to drive them in the path of his father, burnt up all that was upon the earth, and was himself destroyed by a thunderbolt. Now this has the form of a myth, but really signifies a declination of the bodies moving in the heavens around the earth, and a great conflagration of things upon the earth, which recurs after long intervals; at such times those who live upon the mountains and in dry and lofty places are more liable to destruction than those who dwell by rivers or on the seashore.

If I was going to guess, I tend to agree with those scientists who say Earth was hit by a pretty good meteorite strike at the beginning of the Younger Dryas:

en.wikipedia.org....

That caused all kinds of problems, including a shake-up in the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, which essentially shifted a large magma pocket and dropped the large island there down into a pocket, leaving nothing much but the mountain tops. Tsunamis rushed in from all sides and flooded everything, but resulted in surprisingly little damage to the lands surrounding the Atlantic. Perhaps the most damage was caused to the islands in the Caribbean, which curiously have a surface layer only about 12,000 years old. Just the age of the catastrophe.

Just a guess. And the culture of Atlantis didn't have laser beams and pyramids. Just some basic agriculture and animal domestication, and a rudimentary legal structure. Advanced for the time, but not at space man level. Then the story was essentially lost for thousands of years, except for tiny fragments of myth here and there.

In my opinion. Any identifying artifacts would be extremely difficult to find at this point, buried under mud for eons.

edit on 18-4-2013 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by spiritualarchitect
reply to post by AndyMayhew

Why did Atlantis invade the Mediterranean?
Sea lanes.

Obviously. They didn't want the non existent bronze age Athenians from sinking their ships sailing from Greenand to America and Australia and China

(you do know where Greece is?)
edit on 18-4-2013 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Why are hallucinogenic substances illegal?
A short answer may be 'politics,'
but the larger answer is that TPTB want to keep the rest of us in the dark about our true connection to the cosmos, the power found within ourselves, and anything else that goes against the grain of what the modern story of human history is.

The more that people believe we are just a random freak occurrence of natural evolution, the less power each individual has. But if we start realizing that these stories, such as 'Atlantis' are true...well, what else are we going to start to question?

Again...I really don't know if these pyramids are real.
I'm just playing devils advocate.
But if these are real, I can understand why many people would not want the knowledge to spread.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Nice thread apart from the pyramid maths malarkey S+F... Not sure about NASA discovering Atlantis either - but you are referring to The Great Meteor Table Mountain (Guyot - undersea raised plateau) that is currently 270m below the surface at it's highest point - discovered by the crew of the ship: "Meteor"... The map does appear to be a 'blown up' representation of The Great Meteor Table Mountain but looks more to me like S. America or Greenland (and the scale is more accurate)...

I think most of us here now realise the east coast of the US was known and mapped in ancient times - and that knowledge got distorted with each copy...

You do realise that Atlantis and Plato SEAMOUNTS are just to the North (West a little)...?! I'm just saying, you're theory is DECADES OLD and there is no conclusive evidence (left, that we know about...) I too believe Great Meteor Table Mount (and surrounding seamounts and Islands (Canaries, Azores, even Mediera) are a good match for the description of Atalantis - and that in ancient times many more sea-mounts may have been islands (esp. if we consider MEGA-TSUNAMIS and Earthquakes lowering the island peaks as well as sea rising due to ice-cap melts)...

Island hopping is nothing new - the Polynesians (even Homo Erectus, millions of years ago) prove this. Plato does mention the 'other' continent too (as a separate entity to the Atlantic Empire, though related in his writings)... Cuba & Bimini are still intriguing but far to far away to INVADE N.E. Africa and S.E. Europe... The New World may have conquered the old world at some point but I doubt it...

I've gone off the geo-fizzed structure buried in mud on the S.W. Coast of Spain as it is so small (and not excavated) though it may have been a(nother) man-made coastal hill-fort type construction (possibly as a man made Island) and possibly as a tribute to the real or mythological Atlantis...

The main flaw with the Meteor Seamount Theory is it's too deep (but having just watched a Tsunami Doc that happened to be on TV after reading this losing a 100m off a mountain top is doable, not sure about a largish plateau though. The size matches Plato's (rather tall) description pretty well (if a stadium as a unit of measurement is close to ancient & modern stadium sizes)...

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Kircher is not exactly a credible theorist - I'm sure he was an enthusiastic explorer for his era, but all of his writings and theories have been regarded as nonsense. He states in his "Mundus Subterraneus" that his Atlantis map was based purely on Plato and his Egyptian source, i.e. Manetho. So he had no more insight to what/where Atlantis is/was that anyone else reading Plato. His Mundus Subterraneus also claimed the Earth's tides were caused by a vast subterranean ocean. He was a 17th c. crackpot.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Nice, but it doesn't fit. Billions of square KM of landmass are missing.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Maybe how that ocean got its name, i hope for the sake of me not sounding dumb

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
S&f for the thread.

My opinion about Atlantis is that, it is, right now, under our nose, and it isn't underwater... but UNDER ICE!

And it is called now GREEN LAND... the (still today) most mysterious ISLAND at the end of the World

edit on 19-4-2013 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Well yes Atlantis is right in the middle of the Atlantic ocean, who has the same name with that continent. Everything is as Plato say it is.

This is found in Google Earth and it is not a mistake of the satellite scan. It is a city underwater!

This is how Plato described the city of Atlantis

But i will disagree with the map of the Atlantis you show. With that map the underwater mountains in the middle of the Atlantic do not match with the mountains of the continent from the map. The following maps show a match between the mountains on the map and the underwater mountains we currently have.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by eleven44

Thank you for your reply eleven44.
I some-how missed this discovery.

I have been looking for up-dates on further investigation into this and did find a few more photos.
Not much more though and I'm not to sure how reliable the source is.

Thanks again

Now I've got the bug to follow this one further real or not.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
The story of Atlantis told by Plato is describing the ancient lost knowledge of the Americas. As most of you know there are more pyramids in the Americas then anywhere else in the world. There are thousands of sites yet to be discovered,

Man has crossed the ocean in the past before the 15th century. This knowledge was held by very few people.

According to the Atlantis myths they do corroborate with the ancient flood myths and histories of the ancient South Americans and indians of the North.

It is true that the earth flooded quite extensively between from 10,500 b.c and 6,000 bc with large melt water pulses being expelled from the massive mile high ice sheets that sat upon the northern continents. As these ice water pulses hit the oceans it dramatically affected the ocean currents and weather causing much harm to the animal and human population driving many races, cultures, and species into extinction.

Atlantis is story of the partial and vague knowledge of another continent beyond the pillars. Looking for a little island in the middle of the atlantic which would of been right next to the the worlds other largest continent and to imagine the Atlanteans would of have no knowledge of the Americas and decide to live on a tiny island is absurd when you consider there is abundance of evidence that thousands of civilized cultures inhabited the Americas which structures, building methods, societal structure were far more advanced than found in Europe and egypt in its time.

edit on 19-4-2013 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Although you cant view the complete thing online, there is still lots of information put together in The Atlantis Encyclopedia for anyone interested on more information...

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder

Atlantis is story of the partial and vague knowledge of another continent beyond the pillars. Looking for a little island in the middle of the atlantic which would of been right next to the the worlds other largest continent and to imagine the Atlanteans would of have no knowledge of the Americas and decide to live on a tiny island is absurd when you consider there is abundance of evidence that thousands of civilized cultures inhabited the Americas which structures, building methods, societal structure were far more advanced than found in Europe and egypt in its time.

I think it is pretty obvious that they did know of and influence the natives of the Americas, no? Don't they all tell of large, bearded, light skinned, persons coming from the sea and teaching them how to live? I believe they branched out and influenced cultures all over the globe. We need to find where they originated.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

Plato was more than clear. Plato said that the Atlantis is just outside the Hercules columns at Gibraltar in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. The Ocean took his name from the continent of Atlantis. The only common the Atlantis has with America is that the Atlantians were controlling it along with the west Africa. The Greeks were controlling the east Africa, the Europe, the Asia and the Oceania. The ancient Greeks are more than clear on this. And the big flood, the cataclysm happened around 9600 BC, when the Atlantis was sank by the extremely advanced weapons the Greeks had back then. The Atlantians managed to sank the Aegean Sea. Before Greece and Egypt were connected with land and the Mediterranean Sea was only from Sicily to Gibraltar.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join