It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate blocks deal on gun background checks

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Well, thanks for that. And I will never understand it. The right to bear arms is written in to the American Constitution, and unlikely to be revoked. Ever.

So, everybody should be armed, to protect themselves / family from potential threats from their neighbour.

It is completely alien to me.With respect, does gun ownership not impact on your
quality of life ?

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MrJohnSmith

Too many place too much importance on firearms.

Treated safely and responsibly, they are no more dangerous than a wooden spoon used to stir a pot of soup.

It's about freedoms and the rights and roles in how it is a personal responsibility to insure your own safety and freedom. Guns just represent what the government hates.

Individuals not relying on government for their own security and freedom.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   
The Senate Has Fallen.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Rand Paul was right about democrats using Newtown families.
It makes me sick seeing Obama using Newtown families to help promote his agenda, democrats using them like feed the Children use tv commercials to get you to sponsor a Child or send money.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
got a love a goverment that sends automatic weapons across the border to mexico & our border guards get killed by the same weapons & show up on the streets of america & they want gun control lol

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   

And with respect to you my friend as a soldier in the US Army I believe the American people should have access to American infantry weapons to effect balance between the people and government forces.

American distrust of government runs very deep and with good reason, I hope to always live in an America where the citizen is armed and the would be tyrant is scared to death.

It is an American thing. I dont expect you to sympathize, but I do expect you to understand.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghetarr2007
The Senate Has Fallen.

You can bet the POTUS and Dems will be working this issue hard to bolster their midterm election chances. We will continue to hear how the evil Republicans made us less safe from now until the election.

I must add, it was refreshing to see Obama soooooooo butt hurt at the press conference yesterday!

What can I say.....the guy is used to getting his way.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   

It is completely alien to me.With respect, does gun ownership not impact on your quality of life ?

Hmmmm.

Do football hooligans impact on the quality of your life?

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Depends on what you mean by impact.

To me firearms do more to guarantee our safety than the police do.
That's a plus for quality of life I'd say.

If you mean to imagine a society where gun fights happen every time you exit the door to your home, the answer is no.
There are criminals in every society and we are a large and complex nation. Hopefully one day you'll visit. And when you do you will hopefully come away with a better understanding of Americans, and our culturally embedded distrust in government protection,

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
the gun grabbers just got slammed - nice!

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
This bill was just stupid, I dont know why people think we should take the first lame policy put out there. People need to see that back ground checks are already mandatory for most sales. Only private sales in SOME states can you just buy a gun. You still have to get a check for handguns in most cases. You can buy a long gun(meaning rifle or shotgun) without a check,but that is really a non issue as the last report I saw was like 5% of gun violence is with a long gun. They just like to push that these last couple of shootings were with long guns. Plus with the added mental health clause in it, that was something you need to watch, if you ever took a anti depressant or needed counseling or therapy you might be flagged as not worthy of gun ownership. Who decides where the line of mentally incapable or not? No new policy will stop gun violence, period. Unless you can magically make all guns disappear from the planet there is nothing that can be done. Bad guys will always get their guns the illegal way, so adding more laws will only hurt law abiding citizens.

What worries me is like others have said, what deal are they going to get on another bill...like the immigration bill...that would suck big time.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by neo96

I understand what you're saying.

But I don't want criminals and crazies owning guns legally.

Period.

Funny you seem to think it's ok that this was turned down. With no background checks criminals can go to gun shows and buy them with no problem.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Slanted reporting, nothing in these bills would of prevented the recent shootings, these guns DID NOT BELONG to the shooters.

So how in the hell would that have prevented the shootings, enforcement of existing laws is whats needed not more laws restricting law abiding citizens.

Wrong. In the Colorado shooting all of the weapons legally belonged to the shooter. If a background check was done on him chances are it never would have happened.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Echo007
Rand Paul was right about democrats using Newtown families.
It makes me sick seeing Obama using Newtown families to help promote his agenda, democrats using them like feed the Children use tv commercials to get you to sponsor a Child or send money.

Republicans do the same thing when they want something passed.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by neo96

I understand what you're saying.

But I don't want criminals and crazies owning guns legally.

Period.

Funny you seem to think it's ok that this was turned down. With no background checks criminals can go to gun shows and buy them with no problem.
The lawmakers were touting that they would close the loopholes! How are you closing the loopholes when private sales were not even thought of?

With the compromise bill, criminals and crazies could have went to your neighbor down the street and bought guns without a background check.

Similarly, they can go down the street and buy heroin and methamphetamine.... no background checks involved at all.

What is the point of the background check anyway?

In Pennsylvania, you have to look thirty, or must show ID to buy cigarettes, according to state law. Guess what? Kids still smoke. Guess what else? A cop will drive right by a 12 year old kid smoking on the street.... but if a convenience store clerk fails to card an 18 year old, watch out!

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Wrong. In the Colorado shooting all of the weapons legally belonged to the shooter. If a background check was done on him chances are it never would have happened.

How about Columbine?
Do you know where the underage shooters got their weapons?

Better yet, in that high profile case.... Do you know what happened to the person that obtained the weapons for the underage shooters?
The person that admitted to breaking the law and buying firearms for underage persons that committed the massacre?
The person that admitted to the crime.
What do you think happened to the admitted felon?????

For anyone that guessed that absolutely NOTHING happened to that person, THAT'S RIGHT!
edit on 18-4-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7

This was simply aimed to making it more difficult for individuals with mental illnesses and criminals to buy guns.

Oh, so criminals obey the current laws then, right?

They would obviously obey new laws.

Epic failure there.
edit on 18-4-2013 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Thats the problem with the media and government, Reactionary not proactive, we treat symptoms while ignoring the overall cause.

Truer words have never been spoken on ATS. If the PTB really wanted to curb gun violence they would ban handguns and really prosecute those illegally having them. Taking gun rights away from legal law abiding citizens is NOT the way to proceed.
Run ning tally of gun deaths since Newtown.
edit on 18-4-2013 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Woman walks into a car dealership, no background check, purchases a 2 ton vehicle. Leaves and proceeds to run through a play ground.

Ban all cars!!!!!!

Another Epic failure here on ATS.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Sorry if already posted.....BUT!!!!! BUY a shotgun says Biden....its easier to aim and fire

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join