It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate blocks deal on gun background checks

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Senate blocks deal on gun background checks

m.usatoday.com

WASHINGTON — The Senate rejected a compromise proposal to expand background checks on gun purchases, dealing a blow to the core of legislative efforts to curb massacres such as the one at a Connecticut school in December
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
So I'm surprised by this news, but it's certainly good news in my opinion. Sixty votes were necessary to get around a filibuster so it wasn't likely to happen.

'The Senate will now take votes on other amendments, including one to ban assault weapons and limit the size of magazine clips, as well as a package of legislation addressing mental health issues.'

m.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.ksdk.com...
edit on 17-4-2013 by PatriotGames2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Wait for propaganda. It's going to be how evil the Senate is for not passing this.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
If they couldn't get 60 votes for the compromise, I can't see anything else flying.

But, I could see a crew of underhanded dealers sneaking something through.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by PatriotGames2

Outstanding news if this is all it appears to be. Hopefully there isn't some little zinger in there somewhere among the details to take the smiles off our faces.

If not? Well....The days do bring good news with the bad, eh? This was definitely among the better items of news this week.

link   
reply to post by PatriotGames2

dealing a blow to the core of legislative efforts to curb massacres

WOW.

Not much bias there. I mean WTF.

Not to mention that its a lie.

+3 more 
link   
Slanted reporting, nothing in these bills would of prevented the recent shootings, these guns DID NOT BELONG to the shooters.

So how in the hell would that have prevented the shootings, enforcement of existing laws is whats needed not more laws restricting law abiding citizens.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Do you mean to tell me that the Senate actually voted the will of the people?
fascinating idea.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Slanted reporting, nothing in these bills would of prevented the recent shootings, these guns DID NOT BELONG to the shooters.

So how in the hell would that have prevented the shootings, enforcement of existing laws is whats needed not more laws restricting law abiding citizens.

Yes.
And in a well reported case, Columbine, they had the person that supplied the underage shooters with their firearms.... she admitted her guilt.
What punishment did she receive?

NOTHING!

She admitted her guilt, yet was given no punishment.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Thank god.
I'm really surprised this didn't pass, but extremely thankful.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Originally posted by benrl

Yes.
And in a well reported case, Columbine, they had the person that supplied the underage shooters with their firearms.... she admitted her guilt.
What punishment did she receive?

NOTHING!

She admitted her guilt, yet was given no punishment.

Yes and there are laws on the book already for negligent gun ownership, its an excellent question why they aren't being enforced.

Almost like their is an agenda in place regarding gun ownership in the us.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I think background checks would be a good idea, as long as having "adhd" or something common like that wasn't grounds to not own one.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
I think background checks would be a good idea, as long as having "adhd" or something common like that wasn't grounds to not own one.

That's the problem. Millions of people have depression/ anxiety. I'd be willing to bet those people would not be allowed to own guns should this get too in depth.
edit on 17-4-2013 by Covertblack because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-4-2013 by Covertblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

The biggest problem here is the ridiculous mental health system in place in America, thats where anything should start, and not with laws but money put to clinical research into how to even begin to address the problem.

Thats the problem with the media and government, Reactionary not proactive, we treat symptoms while ignoring the overall cause.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Imagine my surprise to see, yes I watched it live C-SPAN2, when Harry Reid voted against the Manchin-Toomey amendment (background checks for private sales, if advertized). I suspect he has a back door deal to trade votes on an upcoming Bill.

ETA: Wrabbit I think your zinger is coming up...all voting on gun issues is taking place now...it's a kinda cluster you know what on the floor....

Obama live on Gun violence @ 5:30 on C-SPAN 3 Surprise surprise.....

Des

edit on 17-4-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

I tend to agree with you on this as that's the way we run things in Canada. Having said that, my room mate is working on a gun collection that scares me...Oh he passed his background check alright but he's just a lucky dude who never got caught in the past. If those who need to know knew what I know, he'd be lucky to own a pellet gun

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Havox
Thank god.
I'm really surprised this didn't pass, but extremely thankful.

Nothing to be thankful for really 2014 is still a long way off, 2016 even further they are not going to give up and people can take that to a fiat currency bank.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
The bill to keep an eye on is the upcoming school safety act . Not sure of the bill number but Feinstein's original ban list has been attached to this bill as an amendment and I bet it gets passed without most actually reading what is in it .

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by minkmouse

I tend to agree with you on this as that's the way we run things in Canada. Having said that, my room mate is working on a gun collection that scares me...Oh he passed his background check alright but he's just a lucky dude who never got caught in the past. If those who need to know knew what I know, he'd be lucky to own a pellet gun

His gun collection scares you? Why?
Better question, why, if you're scared, are you living with him? Why don't you say something if he scares you so badly?

Anyways, thanks for the heads up. Someone will be by shortly.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
www.breakingnews.com...

Newtown families are introducing Obama and talking about the proposal. Making me sick. This man said this was supported by 90% of the U.S? I highly doubt that.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join