It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everlasting happiness can only come from within... The world of physical things always change...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Many people base their happiness on physical "things" or alignments of physicality (also called circumstances or events). The problem is, nothing in this world is constant. Things always change; things are created and then destroyed; physical life is born and then die. Basing happiness on physical things will always lead oneself to be tossed around and lead to short-lived happiness.

If we make our happiness based on something INTERNAL, such as, I am happy because I choose to think and act on Kindness rather than allowing my mood to be random based on whatever seems to happen in life. Or, I am happy because I choose to love and accept everyone as who they are, rather than letting my own negative bias, beliefs, and discomfort to get in my way. Or even, I am happy because I keep my focus on happy thoughts, then we can always be happy because happiness can then become a CHOOSE who we CHOOSE to be.

"I don't care if people acknowledge my actions, I am happy that I acted on kindness because that is who I choose to be".

Making happiness internal will help it to last....

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Defining your happiness by external things outside of you is fleeting, establishing who and what you are and being happy internally with your self last far longer.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

An excellent post, arpgme ! True happiness, as I see it, comes from within, not from
the short lived " Happiness " that consumerism and materialism bring, the things that
money buys.......

Enjoy the simple things in life, a beautiful sunrise / sunset, an awesome starry night,
a piece of your favourite music. Or whatever takes your fancy.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Beautifully said arpgme S/F

As Katsumoto says as he dies at the end of The last samurai,

"Perfect"

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MrJohnSmith

"Enjoy the simple things in life"

Such great/powerful advice when your world is crumbling around you.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Very nice! i just read this article yesterday. It helps you understand to see things differently and how to live in the present, forgetting the past.

innerself.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Unfortunately the majority of change produces suffering and pain.

Look out at nature and all the plants and animals... know that 99.999% of them are dead after living horrible lives of writhing in misery. There is infinitely more pain in nature that pleasure.

You should find value in change... so reality will never disappoint.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

I am aware of the value of change. It prevents stagnation.

Luckily for planets they don't speak human languages where they can keep thinking about the past - and all of the suffering and hurt. When it happens, it happens in the moment and then it's gone and they're at peace until it happens again.

Humans, they can keep dwelling on past hurts...

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Great title and nice writing. All true.

S&F&

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I don't see what basis you have to apply such characteristics to large clump of molten rock and water floating in space.

Your response seems more like a copout canned response to protect you view of reality.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I agree with you that things will never produce happiness. But I see it differently in that happiness already exists - it is our inherent condition. However, we are just distracted from this inherent happiness (or non-separation from God) because of all our searches for happiness/unity in both the external world of objects/others and also our internal world(s).

When released of all such futile egoic pursuits to find happiness or unity with objects and others, there is communion or unity with Reality (or God) - our inherent happiness.
edit on 17-4-2013 by bb23108 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by arpgme

I don't see what basis you have to apply such characteristics to large clump of molten rock and water floating in space.

Your response seems more like a copout canned response to protect you view of reality.

I didn't understand why you replied the way you did. I made a mistake and wrote "planet" instead of "plant". You mentioned the plants and animals suffering and I meant to say "PLANTS" (not planets) remain in the moment as the pain comes and goes, but humans suffer even MORE because humans tend to DWELL on such pain even when it's not there in the moment (looking back to PAST suffering and such).

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Ok I understand... when I read planets I got extremely frustrated, plants makes more sense.

To address what you meant to say. There are many people who are already vegetables. They are in comas with no memory, I don't see how not remembering suffering somehow negates it or makes it ok.

If someone made a pill that erased all your bad memories would you take it?

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I wouldnt take that sort of pill. You would be shooting yourself in the foot. We learn from our suffering. We are reborn from it, and when we are reborn, this changes our very nature, and since this is the progression, is the path, it is the end point, when we hit the end point, all that came before it is redefined. The end point creates the path. We rebuild ourselves in all our past lives in a twinkling of an eye, and thus all is forgiven.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
To address what you meant to say. There are many people who are already vegetables. They are in comas with no memory, I don't see how not remembering suffering somehow negates it or makes it ok.

If someone made a pill that erased all your bad memories would you take it?

No, no, not negate. I'm not saying the suffering didn't matter, and I'm not saying it's "ok". I don't want to encourage it.

When life gives you pain - it is here and that's the reality.

When the pain is gone, but you continue to keep thinking about the pain that "WAS" here but no longer is... you cause unnecessary suffering for yourself.

Edit:

Sorry, I almost forgot about your question. I wouldn't take the pill because I want to remember what things brought me pain and which things didn't.

When I am close to danger I would know, and because of my MEMORY of that hurt, I know to be wise and move away, but that doesn't mean I have to DWELL on it. The remembering of the pain only needs to happen when I am about to repeat it, I don't have to think of how something brought me pain all day every day.
edit on 17-4-2013 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by InhaleExhale
reply to post by MrJohnSmith

"Enjoy the simple things in life"

Such great/powerful advice when your world is crumbling around you.

When you take that as advice you interpreted the guy who said that the wrong way.
edit on 17-4-2013 by Angle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Good thread, i have been thinking about this myself and its coincidental you have brought it up. The Physical biological forms around us, including humans dont last really that long in this world. We are all tenants with temporary leases on a plot of life.

Happiness can only be true true happiness if it comes from internal to us and is not based on the physicality. In most instances we are confronted with in the world the physicality rules. I can only surmise that human beings are completely hooked and believing in the illusion they are emersed in. So how do we break the illusion?

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Think of The Qualities which Comes Directly From The Formless...

The Formless > Stillness > Silence > Peace (Feeling "Safe" - feeling "Eternal" / "Infinite") > Acceptance

The more you Focus on something the more it will grow; as you focus on a Thought it will continue to grow... let the thoughts of Negativity to pass and focus More on the positive thoughts... or you can even embrace the Silence in the mind...

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

What if the internal is physical? So far, that seems to be the case.
edit on 17-4-2013 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Thoughts and beliefs are physical? You can hold and touch one? I don't think it is the case that the "internal" that I am talking about is physical... not physical in the sense that you can touch and hold it...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join