It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drastic security changes coming to large-scale public events, experts say.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Well, of course they are! I mean, we can't very well stand by and let people live lives of freedom or enjoy the protections of the 4th amendment when we have a terror event every 10 years or so. Despite thousands of innocent people dying every day across American war zones in the middle east and africa, when a a few people die here, it's time to lock stuff down and ramp up the jack boots in the name of public safety!

After all, you have about a 1 in a 1,000,000,000 chance of being a victim of terrorism, those kind of odds just aren't acceptable risk, time to start giving up some freedom!

The two explosions at Monday’s Boston Marathon will lead to drastic changes in how large-scale public gatherings, particularly sporting events, will be secured, experts told FoxNews.com. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

Ok, doesn't sound too bad, I go to quite a few baseball games and I'm not a fan of being blown up so lets read on and see how they are going to do that shall we?

“Profiling in a crowd like that is next to impossible,” he said, adding that he would instead focus upon random searches, roving teams of investigators and hardened checkpoints.

Oh! Of course! Well, I guess stop and frisk, more intrusive check points and a large number of police and DHS officials mingling in the crowd is what we can expect and that's just for starters. I bet by this time next year, we are all going to be REALLY REALLY "safe".

Thanks American government, or should I call you dad?

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Yeah because the added security at the Boston marathon really made a hell of a difference!! (/sarcasm)

I hate how they think people need to live in fear and there needs to be additional security at events!! One time and the government needs to get involved!

How many successful events have been held without the need of added security? That just means taxes will increase to pay for our "security".....

Sorry about the rant but this crap just irritates me to no end!

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Then, terrorism works.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
anyone with a knapsack any where anytime

ps
also pressure cookers can be bought a garage sales as well as the kitchen departements everywhere
every garage has nails
edit on 17-4-2013 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
The news yesterday said that they are looking into incorporating security measures here in the UP. Why would anyone target people in the UP. There are hardly any people here in the first place and we are nobodies in this country. I can see hitting a metro area or a big park or stadium. None of which we have here. Most people ignore us Yoopers, especially the people downstate

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
In my estimation it is likely to end up in the near future where the TSA controls security and entrance to all major sporting events. Most likely performing stop and frisk, intrusive surveillance in and around every public transportation hub surrounding these events and forming choke points that will slow traffic and harass motorists in the way of national security check points.

Trying to claim any freedom citing the fourth amendment is likely to get you detained, treated poorly or if things go wrong possibly beaten, tazed or worse. It probably wont be long before citing Constitutional protections can get you arrested for making terroristic threats and I'm not kidding. Government idiocy and hypocrisy as of late seems to know no bounds.

Grab an old soft cover copy of 1984, read up and get ready to be afraid. The future is seemingly now.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Human labour for security purposes is so 19th century.

It is HIGH TIME we incorporate our advance technologies into security of critical events so that the rest of mankind need not be overly subjected to inconveniences of physical checkings and human flawed oversights.

I am saying that DRONES - hovering drones fitted with sensor technologies to detact and scan for explosives and bulky shaped objects that are not necessary for spectators to have, be incorporated.

Not only can they detect the ground below, they can even detect both horizontally and vertically as well for other users' drones, as such crafts can be cheaply sold or made and someone would hope to merge with others overhead to commit atrocities as well, or detect unauthorized sniper rifles or bombs at windows.

It is most unfortunate that civilisation had come to such a stage whereby we need increased protection when we should have evolved into responsible and peaceful co-existance with each other through benevolent rule of law, but till then, we best be pragmatic about it, take necessary measures, while we teach our young and young adults to evolve better than we this generation and older apathetic generations ever had.

We cannot change the past, but we can still change our future, and need not be one whereby Big Brother exists, if we teach our young well to acheive the common aspirations all mankind seeks - peace, justice, equality, shared prosperity, responsible freedom and progress.
edit on 17-4-2013 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

well Seeker
I think you may be correct
but in hindsite
they already are setting it up

next it will be blowing up patriot weddings here too

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by sprtpilot
Then, terrorism works.

Sure does. Worked in Northern Ireland. Works in Afghanistan. It always causes affect by the political establishment and sometimes brings terrorists into the political dialogue. ANC in South Africa, IRA in Northern Ireland through Sinn Fein.

Be interesting to see if this brings in stronger gun controls. You can't have people walking around carrying guns.I've seen one or two posts from people supporting public petting down of civilians. If that was to happen it would be difficult to justify legally carrying a gun, certainly in a public area.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
The news yesterday said that they are looking into incorporating security measures here in the UP. Why would anyone target people in the UP. There are hardly any people here in the first place and we are nobodies in this country. I can see hitting a metro area or a big park or stadium. None of which we have here. Most people ignore us Yoopers, especially the people downstate

Bwahahha. When I moved back to the UP I started leaving my car and doors unlocked again.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I found it interesting that, when watching BBC News after the event, the reporters were hypothesising how this could happen at the London Marathon.

Now, under a lot of circumstances I can understand the mind jumping to that conclusion first thing, but it seemed quite unprofessional for them to plant that little seed of paranoia into the viewer's minds so soon. I mean it was literally minutes after the attack when they "suggested" this could also happen at the London Marathon, before we even knew how the explosions had occurred. And we still don't know who made the attacks in the first place.

I'm guessing we'll see a major increase in London Marathon security now. Again, it could be understandable, but it threw me that the idea was planted so soon after the Boston bombs.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by The Empty Skies

I guess its all about security and humans do relate to such events as the Boston bombing, for if it can happen in a highly secured and rich nation with stability and DHS, what chance would others have?

No one wants to become the next target or their loved ones be such too, as each human life is precious and means something special to another.

However, even as we each vow never to give in to fear or to terrorist acts of killing the few to cower the rest, we mankind will have to pragmatically tackle terrorism on every front and every measure - from the mindsets of all to outright battles with the vicious.

Complacency, apathy and misguided empathy will only result in the loss of further lives to the animals that still hide and living amongst us.
edit on 17-4-2013 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Of course. I agree with you. I just found it a bit unprofessional to plant that fear into the viewer's minds before we even had a clear picture of what was going on - before it was even confirmed that this was a terrorist attack.

Then again that's what the media seems to be there for I guess.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Oh great another avenue for the TSA to practice their molestations and intrusive checks. Hurray for security

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helious
After all, you have about a 1 in a 1,000,000,000 chance of being a victim of terrorism, those kind of odds just aren't acceptable risk, time to start giving up some freedom!

Or it could just be that your democratically elected will do what the public actually WANTS them to do, and force events organizers to do more to keep their kids safe?

One man suggests something, it's not even under discussion, and there are paranoid people screaming and ranting and raving about their "constitutional rights" to not have to wait in line for an extra five minutes while bags are checked at an event.

I don't know how things are done in the USA, but here in the UK we have drug sniffing dogs, bag checks, and limitations on what you can take in at every single music festival in the country, and we've had that for decades. Guess what? It didn't mean a shift to Fascism, it didn't happen right before we were all rounded up for concentration camps, and it didn't mean we all got micro chipped.

Sometimes a need for greater security is EXACTLY THAT.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Soon you won't be able to go anywhere without a chip implanted in your body.

The time is comming. Few more bombs, Mass murders and chemical attacks and we are there.

Hooray...........

CX

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Anyone else reckon we'll see more of the x-ray vans cruising around large events like this now?

Z Backscatter van.

CX.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Or it could just be that your democratically elected will do what the public actually WANTS them to do, and force events organizers to do more to keep their kids safe?

You have no idea what the American public wants. If you lived in America you would see it's the complete opposite of what they are trying to do despite the will of the people. Voting in a corrupt system doesn't always work as it should and keeping kids safe? That's a sad, sad argument.

Ask you parliment about keeping kids safe, ask Obama how many more drone strikes he will authorize this month alone that will kill women and children. Don't tell me about home made bombs that killed a tiny hand full of people and justify taking my liberty in the name of keeping kids safe.

Freedom has a cost, one you wouldn't understand as you still serve the crown. I wouldn't ask you to either know or to pay the price.
edit on 17-4-2013 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Helious

I guess it didnt take long for american Constitution Fundamentalists, like all other religious fanatics whom hold firm to their DOGMAS, to come out with Samuel Adams' philosophy:-

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”

Adams was right and indeed gave good counsel. HOWEVER, such philosophy CANNOT be taken at contextual level, but in its essence, for such thoughts CANNOT be applied to each and every case in life and evolution. Only its essence can for every situation.

For example:-
1. Why did our cavemen and jungle ancestors gave up living in the open and started to live in houses and cities? It is because of security that progress, evolution and civilisation brought, to protect them from elements and beasts, even against human turned beasts.

Thus, if Adams lived during hat time, he would have been accused of stopping civilisational progress, and if he succeeded, you and I would not have been born today. Mankind would have became extinct long ago.

2. apostate radical militants misusing Islam had claimed that they will bring about a better world and peace, if the citizens would submit to their authority and laws, masquerading as Allah's words, when these radicals had long ago altered its meanings and contextual 7th century interpretations as the law for modern world.

Mali submitted, and found out to their dismay the realities, and were glad when they were booted out. Half of Egyptians voted for it, while the other half of muslims voted against such regression and tyranny, with the country in disarry today. Pakistan swears by it, and found no peace. Shia Iraq tried it and no day passes without sectarian strife. Afghans fight the taibans daily.

Under such circumstances, Adams thoughts were right, but how can he be right in one examle, but wrong in another?

The answer is the ESSENCE that matters, knowing when to apply it, and not the contextual interpretations that ALL fundamentalists failed to comprehend despite years of study, which consists mainly of reading and memorizing, and NOT comprehending.

Going back to the thread, the relevancy thus lays in progress and security, both aims achievable without losing any responsible freedoms when kept rational and balanced, which are a birthright for all Earthborn. In the face of terrorism, there will be a need for increased security, and need not be one whereby freedoms are lost, made easier within democracies through the power of responsible votes to choose the right and balance platforms of governance.

Such truths need no gifted to expound, or dependent on scholars. Anyone can discover it, regardless if he has high school education or a PHD. All it needs is to share and discuss more, and only through it can we learn and advance.

Our ancestors were taught to have a day of rest in a week. It is for such purposes that the day was created, not just for worship alone, but for fellowship to share and discuss issues within the community to progress and evolve.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Hi tech observation is one thing and while I have my reservations about it and how it is used I also believe that one has no expectation of privacy in the general public and people should take care to recognize that and their behavior while out and about.

What I can not condone or understand others to accept or tolerate is random searches based on frivolous suspicion that has no basis on probably cause that leaves people at the mercy of DHS and other authorities based on such things as skin color, wearing a hoodie or because face recognition has you on a list for visiting sites like ATS or something similar.

Checkpoints, stop and frisk and similar tactics are very fringe when it comes to not only the Constitution but more directly personal inalienable freedom that no man needs to have derived from a document. Constitutional values not withstanding, I still demand some level of respect from my government regarding my personal dignity and rights.

That said, If it violates my Constitutional rights, I will so no, very loudly, no matter what that may lead too.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join