It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Generous, sensitive and politically correct children

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I agree with you MarioOnTheFly. It reminded me of the pictures I once saw where Iraqi children were posing with signs given to them by US soldiers. I'm having a hard time finding them now,I only found this one:

Source: www.kavkazcenter.com...

I thought this was exactly the place to do that...a conspiracy forum.

IMHO ATS has changed a bit but,hey,maybe it's just my imagination.

Oh well.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Oceanborn

The story and photo you linked are the sort of thing that made the organization behind the photos the OP posted necessary

It was started by an Iraqi who became an American citizen, protested the war and went back home to see what he could do to make things better

From ‘shock and awe’ to ‘mission accomplished’ — the journey of an Iraqi-American peacemaker

A year later, Rasouli returned to Iraq with the intention of staying at least five years, with occasional visits to Minnesota to report on his experiences — “to tell the truth” about what was happening in Iraq. In Fallujah, Rasouli noticed the impact of the relentless attacks on that city and the surrounding areas. Some 5,000 homes had been destroyed, along with 30,000 more damaged and about 300,000 people displaced. He visited the refugee camps and worked with humanitarian organizations to deliver food and medicine to the displaced and listen to their stories.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

That's good. (although I have to say that it's a bit too late for "peace". Personally I think what those people need is all kinds of treatments and protection. Oh well.)

The thing is,it still reminds me of the other pictures I've seen in the past. Even if you will eventually convince me that the kids know English,you can't do the same for the American sign language which one of them is using. Also add that I highly doubt they even know where Boston is.
My opinion is that they were given that sign,they were told how to pose and *click*. Not only I find it odd but I really don't like it. I say let the people who haven't gone through hell care about PR and stuff like that. The kids don't belong in front of cameras.

I could also comment about the following but very few would actually listen so I'm keeping it for myself.

Letters for Peace

Letters For Peace is an attempt to do what the grown-ups have failed to do—that is, to create an atmosphere of trust, respect and mutual understanding between the young people of America and the young people of Iraq. The purpose is to open channels of communication so that students might open their heart to one another and find that what we have in common is greater than what separates us.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis

Originally posted by MarioOnTheFly

MPT:
Muslim Peacemaker Teams

Letters for Peace

Letters For Peace is an attempt to do what the grown-ups have failed to do—that is, to create an atmosphere of trust, respect and mutual understanding between the young people of America and the young people of Iraq. The purpose is to open channels of communication so that students might open their heart to one another and find that what we have in common is greater than what separates us.

Examples of letters exchanged can be found at their site or here: English - Arabic

bump

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Oceanborn

I agree. It is contrived. I'm guessing that's what's bugging the OP

Seriously - there is nothing that happens in Iraq now that doesn't make me suspicious. As I mentioned earlier - even reading the good stuff is more than I can stand some times

But - this is the same sort of thing kids do in classrooms all over the world - when they're learning about the world. Kids learn to care by example - and when they make their signs and write their letters to other kids around the world - it's also somewhat artificial

I don't see it as PR - not exactly. I think Mr. Rasouli - an Iraqi/American himself, is trying his best to bring a sense of normalcy, hope and improved conditions to an ugly situation. I can't fault him for that. And for all the destruction, and the hell that the Iraqis are left with - the simple truth is they need us - they need the world. They need for people to care. They also have to find a way to rejoin the world and function in this world. So - he puts the kids front and center

How does a country recover from invasion - from occupation? How do you exist in a world where you need the same people that turned your world upside down? And that's not their only problem - how do you rebuild, recover and live in a place where your own people are fighting each other - still?

I have no idea

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join