It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marriage Equality Bill passes in New Zealand.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by homeslice

Since its a joke I guess I'm kidding.
Nothing has changed in NZ (and there never was and still is no such thing as "marriage equality").
These gay MP"s are saying marriage as it is defined as a social institution doesn't exist anymore.
If it makes your gay family member happy thats good, but puzzling as there were no laws stopping their personal relationship in NZ before this bill.
Imagine being a gay MP denying your own personal relationship in a gross power play forcing a change in a word definition (which is in fact a social institution) . Its weak and subject of an inferiority complex.
Man and woman. You can't change the definition from a woman to that of a man . Are you kidding.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by micmerci

Originally posted by micmerci
No, I am saying that when it comes down to it, this particular group is miffed because they are not receiving the same employment benefits as hetero couples. (By stating this fact, does not mean I have an opinion on the matter) But proponents are dressing it up with flowery statements about equality and civil rights. I just think all parties should be honest and say that the big push is really about money$$.

So, this group (gay people) all think with one mind? And their consensus is that they want to marry for money? Gay couples don't want to marry as a statement of their love, JUST like heterosexual couples do?

I am one of those proponents who says it's about equality. I don't care WHY gay couples want to get married. Whether it's for love or money. Heterosexual couples also get married for love and money. I think your conclusion (that gay people only want to marry for money) is screwed up.
They are NO DIFFERENT from us straight people. We want the freedom to marry for WHATEVER reason. And so do they. It's closed minded and bigoted to think that gay people only want to marry for cash... Sorry, I don't buy your story. Show me some evidence of this.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
The video is heart warming.

Edit: In light of the doom and gloom worldwide, there should be a heart to politics ~ le sigh*

edit on 17/4/1313 by jokei because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
When I got married, I handed my equality to my wife. Marriage and equality shouldn't even be in the same sentence.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Only God can help the Sheep now!

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Wow!!! just what the world ''needs''

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Viking9019

Sure if marriage was only a religious ceremony but its not. It binds people together by law. Makes property common to both. Makes both liable for any debt . Its not just about saying I do. Its more about I will.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61560
reply to post by Viking9019

Sure if marriage was only a religious ceremony but its not. It binds people together by law. Makes property common to both. Makes both liable for any debt . Its not just about saying I do. Its more about I will.

Not in NZ. There is no legal difference between a civil union and a marriage. It's been like that for a number of years now.

In NZ, marriage is a totally religious ceremony. The marriage certificate is an alternative document to the civil union. Same doc, different title basically.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Incest Marriage?... Fine.

Though there is one fairly major difference between gay unions and familial unions... children and genetics.

A brother and sister can bring a known deficient child into the world, with many documented problems, so the right to a married brother and sister procreating I would be against.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by UnderGetty

Why are people under the assumptions it always has to be a religious thing? I have been to multiple weddings where there was absolutely no mention of god, jesus or religion of any kind.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   
A very forward-thinking nation

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by UnderGetty

No a civil union and marriage are NOT equal, and marriage does not have to equal religion. My own wedding was completely non-religious and held in a garden, but it was a marriage, not a civil union. This law change is a fantastic thing and I'm proud to be a kiwi this week!. Except that the nasty old government used the "cover" of a high profile bill passing into law to sneak through a very controversial "anti-protest" bill
Typical sneaky behaviour.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I predict that Gay Marriage will be legalised in every Western country in the not-too-distant future. It's only a matter of time that countries such as the US and Australia will bow down to global pressure and legalise it.

The fact of the matter is that Gay Marriage does not harm anybody and will make some people happier. It's time to legalise it and move on with more pressing issues.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Evltre

Why is a marriage not equal to a civil union? Both have the state sanctioned personal relationship in NZ.

To the OP:
A man and a woman is a marriage (and its a social institution) and the union of which founds a family .
A man and a man is a civil union.
A man is not a woman, but yet woman do not (and can not) need to change the definition of the word woman to man to get equality.

This type of selfish action, refusing to accept and celebrate apparent difference always has the fallout of making diversity unacceptable.
Racism can increase from this type of propaganda, from telling society you are not equal if you are different or defined by a word.

This bullying action by gay MP's without the public support on a social definition was dishonest.Denying their own personal relationships to destroy the social definition of marriage.
If NZ's most power hungry politicians were not gay and were instead polygamists or incestuals you could be celebrating a forced polygamy or incestual law changes instead.
There would be no difference as the public majority of public submissions on a social institution were omitted.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Evltre

The same govt that forces through criminalizing protests in NZ. The OP is celebrating progression to oppression.
In NZ that very same govt is also selling our prime publicly owned energy assets (again)also without public support.
All hail the tyranny(oh I'm sorry) the "progressive" govt of NZ.
Talk about sheep /mob mentality, the word" equality" is used and most loose their marbles .

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join