It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

***Draft Watch***

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Back on topic....

THE United States would "have to face" a painful dilemma on restoring the military draft as rising casualties saw the number of volunteers dry up, a senator warned today.

Joseph Biden, the top Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, made the prediction after new data released by the Pentagon showed the US Army failing to meet its recruitment targets for four straight months.

"We're going to have to face that question," he said on NBC's Meet the Press TV show when asked if it was realistic to expect restoration of the draft.

"The truth of the matter is, it is going to become a subject, if, in fact, there's a 40 per cent shortfall in recruitment. It's just a reality," he said.

The comment came after the Department of Defence announced the army had missed its recruiting goal for May by 1661 recruits, or 25 per cent. Similar losses have been reported by army officials every month since February.

Experts said the latest figure was misleading because the army had quietly lowered its May recruitment target from 8050 to 6700 people. It has been suggested the real shortfall is closer to 40 per cent.

click the link for the full story.

one of 2 things may happen IMO,
1. they institute a draft because "they are in dire need"

or 2. they pull out (not likely)

unless you Americans start sacrificing your lives this WILL happen. I call upon all Republicans to get off your asses and join, 51% of the US population should be enough troops for any army. Since you love Bush so much, and you support his every move, put your life where your mouth is.

[edit on 14-6-2005 by Halfofone]

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Halfofone... normally I'm not the guy banging the "deny ignorance" drum, but I'm going to have to make an exception just for you...

What you just said in your previous posts is one of the most ignorant, and one sided posts I have ever seen on this board. You call upon all republicans to join the military, being that we all love Bush so much, and support his every move. As if we're mindless drones, slaves, or "sheeple" as you'ld probly prefer calling us. Most of us have our own minds, and views, and support Bush because we wish to, not because we cannot look at a situation, and come to a conclusion about it, for ourselves. People consider me a "republican"*, and I do support Bush, but I do not follow, and praise his every move... some of the policies he's enacted do need major review I'll be the first to admit that... saying that we all follow him like drones though is no where near the truth...

Whats even more funny is that fact that, since the beggining of this administration the draft has been on the -democrats- "to do list".

Originally posted by kozmo
... but it was the DEMOCRATS that introduced the Bill to reinstate the draft.

www.snopes.com...

www.theorator.com...

Yeah, Democrats Rangel, McDermott, Conyers, Lewis, Stark and Abercrombie introduced HR163 in the hopes of scaring the American public into thinking that the Republicans were going to initiate a draft, THEY AREN'T.

For the results of this failed bill read:

washingtontimes.com...

Now that you have the facts, do you still want to continue down this ridiculous path?

*allthough I choose no political affiliation.

[edit on 6/14/05 by microcosm]

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Republicans with their own minds? Sorry they were kicked out of that party, or have been sanctioned and admoniished if not towing the line. All I can say is reap - sow.

OK, that is probably too general, but lets face it as someone who has been very right of centre his whole life, what I see in the States is not capitalism, it is more akin to facisim and until the entire country gets over it's mass delusion that "it can't happen to me," we as a world are seriously in trouble.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I know what you were saying was just a joke, but once again...

Thinking that someone is less capable of free thought, or holds lesser intelectual capacity, just due to his, or her political views (compared to yours*) is ignorance in one of its highest forms. Elitism...**

It's demonstrated every day here on this board when someone gets called a sheeple, tulipwacker, fascist, libbie, brainwashed neocon etc. The idea that "We are better than them, because we voted for the other guy(s)" is the idea that we need to get over, not the "it can't happen to me" mentality, because the reality is it's allready happened... we're a nation divided, when we need to be working together as a nation united... making a comment suggesting that 51% of the US population, or suggesting that ALL republicans leave the country to go fight does nothing to benefit anyone... only ones sense of "i'm better, so i'll bicker, and make snide comments".***

Do republicans bleed less than democrats? Are republicans any more american than democrats? Is that why we should all get up, and go fight? Oh... we're all Bush supporters, that marvel at his every move, thats why... if thats the case, I'll go call Ted Nugent, he said he'd loan me a few rifles.

*(not you passerby, I mean "yours" in general.)
**(be aware i'm not calling you elitist passerby, im talking in general here.)
***(I'm not calling you elitist either halfofone, allthough, your little comment was far too general (you singled out 51% of the american population), and was most likely meant to denounce republicans, or atleast your view of them. Just like your avatar, which states the american public are "sheeple". Let he who is without sin cast the first stone? Nah...)

[edit on 6/14/05 by microcosm]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   
"What's even more funny is that fact that, since the beggining of this administration the draft has been on the -democrats- "to do list"."

of course it has. your Men and Women are DIEING, and to continue this sharade of being the world's sheap dog, you'll have to continue to do so.

how about this;
All you democrats should get of YOUR asses and start protesting this war, write your congressmen, write anyone who will listen! 48% of the US poplation should be enough to get them to pull out. Jundging by what happened in seattle not too long ago, protesting in the US is quite a dangerous task, put YOUR lives where your mouths are democrats, and get out there. DO SOMETHING except bitch and moan.

"allthough I choose no political affiliation"
*yawn* heard it before. I guess that makes 2 of us. Dem/Republic, yin/yang, heads/tails. two sides of the same thing. Rich and powerfull people with rich and powerfull friends, playing games with the rest of us.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Halfofone
DO SOMETHING except bitch and moan.

What's wrong with bitching and moaning?

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
My rule is if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

If you voted - right, wrong, or indifferent then you got a right to complain - However if you didn't vote or try to do anything you don't have a right to complain. You let others do your bidding for you and it's too bad if you don't like the outcome.

--

Once the party line mattered. Now it has all blended together and become an inidentifiable mess. I was once a hard line republican until Bush - Almost became a Democrat, seriously thought about it for about 5 minutes. Now, I'm an independant/libertarian (Not to be confused with liberal!)
(it's a shame that we are a two party system and that nobody outside the main two parties gets listened to. Ross Perott would have been good - he was right about loosing all our jobs to other countries)

I would have Gladly gone to war for the US under Regan - Now (Luckilly I'm too old to be drafted) If I were to get drafted I'd make a bee line out of the USA - These guys have become to War Crazed to be trusted with anything but insuring that they have an excuse to war agenst anyone they choose.
(Maybe we should Conquor France, They won't fight and they have some cool stuff in Paris)

[edit on 6/15/2005 by dancer]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
(Maybe we should Conquor France, They won't fight and they have some cool stuff in Paris)

Screw france, we're taking over the UK if anything... Big Ben would look AWESOME in my living room.

(I joke, I joke, I joke; don't jump down my throat.)

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by spamandham
What's wrong with bitching and moaning?

Everything.
"wa wa the world hates us"
"wa wa this war is killing our children"
"wa wa our learders are corrupt power hugrey monsters always craving more, and everyday they destroy the system set up to protect us from them"

"oh well, nothing I can do about it, What's on fox tonight?"

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Halfofone
"oh well, nothing I can do about it, What's on fox tonight?"

A small dose of reality can go a long way.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by microcosm

Screw france, we're taking over the UK if anything... Big Ben would look AWESOME in my living room.

(I joke, I joke, I joke; don't jump down my throat.)

You pretty much already have

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by dancer
My rule is if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

That's pretty arbitrarily. What's next? Deciding that some innocent people are expendable because they're not part of the solution?

If you voted - right, wrong, or indifferent then you got a right to complain - However if you didn't vote or try to do anything you don't have a right to complain. You let others do your bidding for you and it's too bad if you don't like the outcome.

Some people choose not to vote as exercising the freedom of expression.

Once the party line mattered. Now it has all blended together and become an inidentifiable mess. I was once a hard line republican until Bush - Almost became a Democrat, seriously thought about it for about 5 minutes. Now, I'm an independant/libertarian (Not to be confused with liberal!)
(it's a shame that we are a two party system and that nobody outside the main two parties gets listened to. Ross Perott would have been good - he was right about loosing all our jobs to other countries)

I'm an independent republican. The GOP have abandoned its original republican principles in favor of party-line principles centering around Bush, just as the Democrats abandoned its original democratic principles for Clinton's principles in the 1990s. Perot was part of the problem, not the solution, even though he was right to warn about the dangers of NAFTA.

Like wine and cheese?

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
You pretty much already have

I sure did walk into that one.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join