It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can fate conspire against you?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Expect success, and you'll have it. Refuse to believe in anything else, acknowledging any failure as but a bump in the road on the way to success.

I appreciate you taking the time to read and respond. I also appreciate your concern for my dilemma. Fun Fact: I used to think exactly like this. This used to be my attitude, my drive, in all things. I used to be the one giving people this very same advice.

But it doesn't work. It works for some people at some of the time, just like placing a bet on the roulette wheel works for some (and that's a good deal actually.) But by that same measure, it's also possible to lose at every outcome.

So, what happens when I try, really try, try really hard, very hard, stay sharp, stay focused, stay positive and work towards my goals and still lose continually? Is it because I didn't try just one iota harder than I needed to?

See, that's the backlash of this attitude. There are ways to justify failings, so why not just justify it as a product of fate? Maybe the game is rigged for some?

Look, I'm not trying to say that nihilism and self-defeatism is a better way. Forget that jazz! I just want to win one minor victory!

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Yes, If one discovers their fate and then chooses to walk another path, some cracks might show on your new path to try and make you wonder back to whats chosen/fated for you or as many say your experiences and interpretation of them could all just be a coincidence, not in my opinion though.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
The problem is not fate, but faith.
Yours is being tested, which is not a bad thing.
Almost as if something plants the seed of doubt, and then it festers into a unmanageable tangle of ill feelings and emotions.
Shut the doubt out and keep the faith, if you think it you will it.
Keep communicating with God, he is very aware of your doubts.
This happens to everyone when he wants to bring them closer to him.
When you seek you will find, and all doubt will be erased.

PLPL

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Minori

Thanks, Minori. I don't know how I can feel so close and so far at the same time. I made a promise a long time ago that no matter what happens, I will always keep my mind and heart focused on God. I will keep climbing up the mountain even if it means taking one step forward and sliding two steps back.

My oath has been tested unceasingly since I made that promise.

It really does feel like a wicked conspiracy. I seem to find no peace in my work, in my art, or in my faith.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

I seem to find no peace in my work, in my art, or in my faith.

That can be sign your walking the correct path.

What do you find peace in if I may ask?

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Failure cannot live with persistence

Unless you persistently choose to fail.

Can fate conspire against you ? By definition no, if you believe in fate then your way is set and regardless of what you do you will get the same end result. That isn't conspiring against you or inspiring for you.

Can you blame fate if you fail ? You could but it's self defeating, when good happens do start saying fate ? I doubt it.

If you have a negative attitude then expect negative results, Think in a positive way and follow that dream, it starts with a follow up phone call usually, then another, then another.

Tenacity is the friend of success.

ETA: When you hit rock bottom there is only one way to go ................... up

Cody

edit on 17/4/13 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
If you have a negative attitude then expect negative results, Think in a positive way and follow that dream, it starts with a follow up phone call usually, then another, then another.

I'm glad this approach seems to work for everyone except me. I can live with that actually
At least it's workin' for someone.

I'm sorry to be a downer, but I feel I have to. I've thrown myself against the wall just as much as anyone else and never made a dent.

I blame my shortcomings on nothing and no one. I don't feel that I can even blame myself. According to the consensus so far, I've done everything right.

Okay, so maybe some don't like the term "fate." What if I had said, "Can the circumstances of life conspire against you at every fork in the road?"

I'm here to posit that, "Yes, some people just never catch a break and never will. It's a roulette wheel and someone is bound to lose at every spin."

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I don't really believe is this abstract concepts of luck, chance, fate, fortune.

Failure or success is really down to whether you are competing against other people for the same goal in life and how determined they are against how determined you are, your qualifications,

Sometimes your path can cross that of another person regardless what route you take. Like you could live in a terraced street and there would be two ways you could take to go downtown. But regardless what way you take, you still cross the path of a drunk driver.

I played this online game Lyonesse, the facinating thing was that you could take different paths at every point, but sometimes they took you back to where you started, only allowing you take one path one time round, or give you a key that could take other paths. Life seems to be like that.

edit on 17-4-2013 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by InhaleExhale

I seem to find no peace in my work, in my art, or in my faith.

That can be sign your walking the correct path.

What do you find peace in if I may ask?

Hmm, how so? See, a lot of people think I'm unhappy. I'm really not. But, I am stagnating, and that's just as bad sometimes. Honestly, I don't know what I will find peace in. I've been trying to find something to jump-start me for many years.

I do feel on a correct path, but there's a major roadblock and I can't figure out what it is.
To everyone:

I'm sure I haven't made a single bit of sense in this entire thread. I'm sorry, I'm just trying to express myself the way I know how without going into personal details. There's no need for personal details because it's useless to compare one's body of experiences to another's. Yes, I know we all have our failures, shortcomings, and disappointments. But I think the majority of you also have your share of victories, successes, and happiness as well.

I'm simply saying, that latter part of the equation is missing for me. I'm hard to disappoint. I have a small list of very reasonable and attainable goals. I'm just trying to start realizing some of them; or even one of them would be great at this point.

Thanks for listening to me whine
and I do appreciate everyone taking the time to read and respond.

edit on 17-4-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I'm sorry to be a downer, but I feel I have to. I've thrown myself against the wall just as much as anyone else and never made a dent.

If that were true you would have no replies to this thread

So by definition you've made a dent in my life by me choosing to respond, and care enough to respond a second time whilst missing a part of one of my favourite programmes.

You do make a difference

As hard as it is, accept it.

You threw yourself at the ATS wall and made a dent, some of the thickest skinned people out there chose to respond with advice, empathy, sympathy, and genuine feeling to wish you well for your betterment.

With all due respect

If you have people the world over prepared to take time to reply

How the hell didn't you make a dent ?

When you stop banging your head against the wall, open your eyes, look down and enjoy that flower that's just about to break into life and give pleasure to the world .

If it is a concrete pavement you see look harder there is a flower that somehow found a way through , even an innocent flower found a way to grow and bring pleasure.

Think about that my friend

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Amen brother. I myself have been affected by this OP and subsequent follow ups. There is always good and bad to everything. Sometimes seeing the good is hard because the bad is so in your face. You seem too bright to let this keep you down OP. Stay Sacred.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Wow, I must say that, as a visual artist, writer, poet, romantic, etc., I really feel the same as you do! It feels like the Universe plots against me. It sounds either paranoid or small-minded when you say it, but that is how it looks from a logical perspective. Every single door that I have tried to enter for a creative avenue has been shut in my face, from acting to animation courses to a basic arts course to publication as a writer (all while writers, editors, actors, directors and art museum people kept telling me how naturally gifted I was (which I've heard since I was very young.) Pathetic or passionate, I have pretty much lived my life for my art. It's what I love, what makes me feel alive and sane, and like my true self. Yet I am never, ever permitted to achieve anything more than crappy jobs to pay the bills.

I do feel that some of us, born different and with special gifts, seem to be cursed from birth to suffer through a very misunderstood, undervalued existence which only others like us can understand. Meanwhile, we watch while hacks (putting it bluntly) take all the credit for 'art' that their social connections and salesman skills allow them. They are well-marketed or otherwise sold to the public as ‘artists.’ Brittany Spears can't even sing, never mind write her own songs, and yet she's a famous singer! Meanwhile, there are genuine artistic singers and musicians out there working in factories and processing plants! Artists suffer and the culture misses out! It is very strange indeed.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoneCloudHopper2
Every single door that I have tried to enter for a creative avenue has been shut in my face

Tell me about it. And I'm not just talking creative outlets. I'm saying that any avenue I've ever ventured down has led me to a dead end.

Yet I am never, ever permitted to achieve anything more than crappy jobs to pay the bills.

Well, at least you have a "crappy" job. I can't even seem to get one of those these days. My higher education and positive work history mean nothing.

I don't ask for much. I don't want fame, recognition, or even money. I just want to belong. Just once I want to look on the day and say, "Hey, that went alright."

I think the people who tout, "Be happy, stay positive" should just count their blessings and be glad they have them. It just makes me wonder if that kind of attitude is the result of a positive feedback loop

I am positive --> a positive thing happened --> I believe in positivity --> a positive thing happened etc.

For me it looks more like:

I am positive --> a negative thing happened -->I believe in positivity --> a negative thing happened etc.

No, I won't give up. But I can't help but ask, is it possible that there is no 'secret code' to success...that some people are just riding on a stroke of luck combined with chance opportunity and a healthy dose of effort, while others can produce the same admixture without any success, ever.

I think my premise is definitely possible. And if it's possible, then that means that some successful people have just been dealt a good hand at opportune times...but I don't think anybody would be willing to look at their success that way. Most people will say, "Hard work and determination got me here and there are NO other chaotic factors involved."
edit on 17-4-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Because in the OP you mentioned a poker reference, I will reply in the same fashion.

"Can you lose every hand you're dealt?"

Yes, you can - certainly. You can be dealt a winning hand and still lose depending on how you play it. You may fold when you should have ran with it, or you could slow play it and then someone's losing hand will catch up and beat yours down. Similarly, you can be dealt a losing hand, and make everyone fold better hands and win.

In poker, this "luck factor" has a name.. we call it "variance."

If you don't have a big enough bankroll, variance will kill you, it will break you and even if you're a winning player, you'll still go broke if you don't have a big enough cushion to fall back on.

So how does this translate to the real world variance and bad luck you refer to?

Well it's like this kid, if you play the game long enough, you're going to have swings up and down - you're in the middle of a downswing -- but just as with a coinflip, it'll win 50/50 in the long run -- but in the short run, you might flip heads 7/10 times. Heck, you could even lose a coinflip 10 out of 10 times, that's variance!

You just need to ride out the storm because eventually, you're going to be having so much good luck that you'll think you can't do anything wrong. The trick is to not go bust in the downswings and end it all pal. You need a cushion, a big enough bankroll, and I think it's called patience, understanding and wisdom. With this cushion, you'll be able to ride out the storm until you're in a winning streak.

Life's what you make it.

--TruthSeeker.
edit on 17-4-2013 by JustTheMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Do you own a pet, NB?

I have a cat that senses my moods. When I'm feeling depressed she comes to me and rubs her face all over my cheek, purring away. She gives me unconditional love. She really does help lift my spirit!

It may not be the answer to the question you are asking, but it does help one to have a feeling of belonging, even if it is to the animal kingdom. Giving a pet a much needed home can give a person "purpose".
So many animals are waiting for you out there!

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

What do you do when your spirit is broken, dashed in pieces, sprawled out amongst the pointed stones?—while everyone else floats downstream, guided carefully, unmolested by fate.

Maybe you aren't supposed to be following everyone else down that same river.

We don't always know the right direction, sometimes the message about the wrong direction is clearer.

Sometimes people are too stubborn to see that.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Tell me about it. And I'm not just talking creative outlets. I'm saying that any avenue I've ever ventured down has led me to a dead end.

I don’t care to go on and on in detail, but I have literally been turned down by multiple attempts. I have been drawing as far back as I can remember, had art teachers and art gallery representatives (visiting one of my art classes) tell me how impressive my art was when I was a teenager (I can draw landscapes in extreme detail, also original abstract and cartoon art,) and yet I was rejected by a community college’s basic arts program in my adult years (which you would need to proceed into any creative field.) I was turned down by two animation courses. Talent representatives for standup comedy. I didn’t excel far in theatre despite how good I was (as everyone said,) as I wasn’t good at the social politics. Desperate, I tried pursuing a career as a web designer, with a job all lined up for me after completing the course, and then the financing for the course fell through at the last minute. A desperate attempt at entering a photography course also fell through. And then hearing back from magazines about how good my writing is and how much they enjoyed them, asking me to send them more, but not publishing me. It’s crazy.

Well, at least you have a "crappy" job. I can't even seem to get one of those these days. My higher education and positive work history mean nothing.

I’m pretty rough in this area as well. I have a seasonal job and lately I can’t even get enough hours in for EI. I’m living in a dying town and I can’t afford to move and I’m in serious dept. I left this part out because I believed this discussion was about the struggle of artists, not financial concerns (which would concern many people these days.) People here tell me that I'm lucky to have the job I have, yet I'm struggling to keep my apartment and to avoid bankruptcy.

I don't want fame, recognition, or even money. I just want to belong. Just once I want to look on the day and say, "Hey, that went alright."

I want recognition as an artist and to survive making money as such. I am not a worker bee and I find regular, non-creative jobs rather soul-killing.

I am positive --> a negative thing happened -->I believe in positivity --> a negative thing happened etc.

Exactly the same with me! I've explained this to the 'positive energy' crowd multiple times.

Most people will say, "Hard work and determination got me here and there are NO other chaotic factors involved.”

Yeah, they usually don't. This is why I find the actor Bryan Cranston (of "Breaking Bad") refreshing, because in his interviews he'll freely admit that luck plays a huge part in success. He stresses it's down to talent, drive and good luck, and not everyone has that third thing and it isn't a matter of hard work. He admits to luck being a big factor in his success and mentions that he's seen multiple "brilliant" actors come and go without any success. He also stated that if successful people are honest, they'll admit to this. Cranston deserves credit for being one of the honest ones.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

God has still left me battered and broken and alone, so it seems.

that seems to happen until one is utterly broken... then the light breaks through...

I have a friend who shares your view. He has a personal relationship with 'God.' I don't. He claims that God is trying to break my ego down so that I can understand and follow His path. I'm not sure, but I've always felt a higher power (which I call The Light,) so I've been embracing it and have been praying for direction. I admit, be it coincidence or not, I have been going through a lot of changes lately.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoneCloudHopper2

Originally posted by Akragon

God has still left me battered and broken and alone, so it seems.

that seems to happen until one is utterly broken... then the light breaks through...

I have a friend who shares your view. He has a personal relationship with 'God.' I don't. He claims that God is trying to break my ego down so that I can understand and follow His path. I'm not sure, but I've always felt a higher power (which I call The Light,) so I've been embracing it and have been praying for direction. I admit, be it coincidence or not, I have been going through a lot of changes lately.

The only advice I could give would be to read the gospels...

They help a lot!

I can honestly say I wouldn't be who I am today without them

Better yet, start here... >>-----> Matthew 5

edit on 17-4-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by LoneCloudHopper2

Thanks for sharing all that you have. It has given me more to think about. This buddha has been sleeping a lot the last few days, and considering all of your answers.

This thread is just about struggle in general. I tried to extend the metaphor of 'art' to include living well. And like all things, you can be denied and rejected with your struggle to live well. I was a little distraught when I wrote the vignette and didn't give it much thought. I just needed to express myself at the moment.

I was pretty upset and in a crisis of my faith in goodness.

By the way, I can't seem to make any progress as a writer either despite every editor telling me how refreshing my work is and that it should be published
Yeah, that's the way the biz goes. There's a certain amount of luck and who-you-know involved in any art, I agree.

edit on 18-4-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join