It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Using Bad Language Here On ATS

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Honestly, I do not see a problem in saying something along the lines of "What the # is wrong with the world today" Yes, it's not hard to fill in the blank, but the word is not there and no harm is done. As long as you're not insulting a member, or censoring an "inappropriate word" every sentence. Some time's, the situation calls for using words that are "inappropriate" to make a statement.

Again, everything in moderation.... I understand ATS want's to eliminate the insanely overused "curse words" that the internet users have run rampant with, but again I don't see anything wrong with a word or two every once in a while that is self censored....

Just a thought..
edit on 4/17/2013 by BulletsCantSilenceIdeas because: oops

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by minkmouse

I couldn't tell how mad he was he didn't use any curse words.
edit on 17-4-2013 by enament because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

I agree with the excessive use of curse words or altered words. But a well placed curse word in good taste cant harm much. I'm a human and sometimes I express myself.

Dang Its bad enough we already have the spelling police,and the grammar police and now the curse word police?

people are people. We all cant be the same or even type the same.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I like using bad language on ATS, and I am quite literate - I just like the up-front nature of it, and sometimes I do it sarcastically. I rarely do it in an angry fashion, though - I also like it when it's censored, like[snip], because I just do. It's a personal choice, and it has nothing to do with my capability of forming arguments or being literate.

So yeah, here is an article on the benefits of swearing. I just think it's fun, I don't like using it as an outlet for anger.

Hell Yes: The 7 Best Reasons for Swearing
edit on 17-4-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-4-2013 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by NightFlight
At the very least, no one said Frack.

I have totally said frack in a thread before, damn it.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Thanks for all the replies!

While this was a bit of a rant, it was also in part for fun, as I had someone use the term "Smurf" in lieu of a bad word and found it very funny, and thought I would share.

However, while I acknowledge that using profanity is pretty much second nature to most humans around the whole world, think on this before you use it here:

When you do it here on ATS, and especially when debating someone, that someone can alert your post because of it, even if you use things like # to represent your word or words.
Because the TCs are quiet clear on this, once alerted, the mods have to take action then.

So basically someone can use it against you and get your post removed with that nice TC Violation banner.

Just some food for thought.

Have a smurfing nice day!

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I don't have an issue with swearing. I've got a pretty bad mouth on me, but its reserved for an "as and when needed" situation, and never around children.

Like, I don't find I suffer with sesquipedalian loquaciousness, I'm somewhat verbose when I need to be, but often it seems too much like hard work to say, "I am monstrously aggrieved by the events perpetrated by you" when instead I could say "Man, you really Peed me off..."

I don't think bad language necessarily shows a lack of intelligence, though it can be used more often by people of certain social standing or more often in social situations.

I feel sometimes swearing is totally valid, it conveys emotion otherwise lacking in a conversation (take the most recent events, people might say "I can't believe someone would f'ing do that to those people"), more specifically in typed communications where tone isn't always effectively conveyed through text.

I am mostly in agreement with most of the posts here though, please don't think otherwise.

It is a bit of a drain to read a post where someone is cussing every other word. "That effing effer, I'm gonna effing hunt that effing tw_ down and effing eff him up. Eff"

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Man, how true. And why we're on the subject of how people choose to speak, I am so tired of foreigners who speak theory native language whilst in the presence of Americans. If I don't know what they're saying, how can I tell when to take offense at this word, or that phrase?

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I dont like blue, so no smurfing for me

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Wow, not sure why I wasted a few minutes reading this drivel, and then replying to it - first world problem if I’ve ever encountered one. I know this site has been in a steady decline over the past six to eight months, frankly I’m not fair off abandoning this forum for good, however authoring a thread complaining about swearing amongst adults is infantile. It would appear as though not everybody is as perfect and moral as thee. Please, get off your high horse and create a thread with reading...

Ohh wait, my name has a swear word in it, how naughty and immature of me. I mustn’t be very intelligent, I suppose... Because, you know, I use swear words...
edit on 17-4-2013 by BlindBastards because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
ATS has become a cry baby and mama's boy forum, including moderators. They get offended to easilly, they are worse than my grandmother sometimes.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlindBastards
Wow, not sure why I wasted a few minutes reading this drivel, and then replying to it - first world problem if I’ve ever encountered one. I know this site has been in a steady decline over the past six to eight months, frankly I’m not fair off abandoning this forum for good, however authoring a thread complaining about swearing amongst adults is infantile. It would appear as though not everybody is as perfect and moral as thee. Please, get off your high horse and create a thread with reading...

Ohh wait, my name has a swear word in it, how naughty and immature of me. I mustn’t be very intelligent, I suppose... Because, you know, I use swear words...
edit on 17-4-2013 by BlindBastards because: (no reason given)

I understand your postition.

However I would direct your attention to the very top of the forum and ask you to please read the tittle for here:

"Rant"

Pretty much if you found this a waste of your time, why did you bother to read it? Worse, if you feltt it was a waste of time, why bother replying here? No one put a gun to your head and made you click on the thread, and certainly no one forced you to click on the "Reply" button.

One could say that by making the post in a "infantile" thread is in itself rather "infantile", but I digress.

In any case, this section of ATS is for people to "rant" or "vent" about something that bothers them, upsets them, or something that they would like to address that others might consider just as you have "a waste of time".

As for "creating a thread worth reading", I see that you have 0 flags and 0 threads that you have created. That then allows me to say: "Just whom is being on a 'High Horse'"? If you don't like the content I, or others create here, then, stop whining about what threads people have created here (especially in the Rant section), and get busy creating what you think should be quality threads.

THEN you can come here and dictate to me what I should or should not be creating a thread about.

In the mean time, I would also recommend that if you are looking for "quality" threads, the Rant section is most likely not a good choice.

Have a nice day!

edit on 17-4-2013 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by cdesigns
ATS has become a cry baby and mama's boy forum, including moderators. They get offended to easilly, they are worse than my grandmother sometimes.

A group of adults discussing how and when certain language applies to our interactions on ATS and in our Real Lives in a "lightheated" , respectful way is a smurfing problem for you?

Perhaps the Mods haven't bothered this thread, because "technically you can't use any type of "colorful" words, or alternatives for those words on ATS......but the Mods have enough common sence to put those things in "context" of the conversation and intentions of the members meaning.....it's a judgement call.......

The only person that seems to be "offended" is you....

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
To the OP.

Smurf you mother smurfer!

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I would like a explanation on how post are being edited now. You use to get a TC violation. Now I often see a [snip]. I know there is automatic filters that do this, but I have seen some post [sniped] that in no way could have been caught in the filter. Are the mods now able to edit post to their own taste ? Without putting it up to other mods for discussion , or review ?

There was a recent thread about funny signs, many of the post were [sniped] even though they contained no bad words, and were put up by the government in different countries. I also see post [sniped] that have appeared on prime time T.V. I do understand the need for the TC's, and tend to self - [snip] to get a point across.

I would like to know what in the [snip] is going on .

Here is a reply from another member on that thread about signs.

shocked at what has been snipped here
i've not posted anything that is not real and does not appear in real life without folk being offended.... i sure have not intended to push the boundaries, just post funny stuff that really exists, street names, abbreviations and such are folk going to go and censor street signs? i could provide postcodes and a googlemap if that helps.
tbw i usually see where mods are coming from but this seems over the top. have fun, i'm outta here

edit on 17-4-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

They are just words. Who is it that decided what words are "bad" anyway?

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miracula
To the OP.

Smurf you mother smurfer!

Here, let me fix that for you:

"Mothersmurfer"

The words are suppose to be together.

Hehehehehehe.

btw- for those just joining the thread, it was created in part as a jest.

So smurf you if you can't take a joke!

And now my coffee has hit my bladder so I need to go take a [snip].

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Sometimes I say arse instead of ass. Or maybe helk instead of hell. But honestly, this is not the place for profane language. Young people and religious people, ethical and moral people. etc. It's my view that I am responsible for what comes out of my mouth in public so why not my written words. I cuss at home. But in public, no way. I don't like hearing it in public either. For me it is a respect thing. There are those who pull the "Freedom of speech and expression" card though and in some cases I get that it's fair play but most times it's just excusing one's bad habits more than anything in my view. I have never felt compelled to tell anyone else how to speak though. In my house maybe. In public or in someone else's house never. I can choose to leave if I don't like it or even ignore it.

To me, ATS is someone's house and when I visit, I have the rules up front and available to me. There is no excuses and simply put. I strive to be respectful of others in there domain or in the general domain. I don't think everyone thinks like I do and that's not entirely a bad thing either.

It's a part of life. I do not think less of another person or of there intelligence if they use curse words or substitute them either. It's still a form of expression even though it can be deemed a No GO in accordance to many community rules and policies.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Terms and Conditions

15b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums on the Websites, and will neither Post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content. You will also not use common alternative spellings or net-speak alternative for profane words.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join