It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ebb and flow of news, and the realities of the effects.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Mods, feel free to delete this or move it as you see fit.

I know this forum is just stacked with threads on all sides right now on the Boston bombing.

False flags, outside terrorists, domestic terrorists...

There is a pattern to media, we all see this. We get this super huge stories, they rev them up for a week or two, maybe three, then *poof*, they simmer into a quick death and we forget about the events. Well, we remember them, but then something else pops up to grab the attention of the population.

And...this is another example. Think about the big stories that we followed in the past few years. It follows a pattern. Huge story-big story-constant rise/continuation of separate story, repeats, etc. It keeps following this pattern. With the past few weeks of NK revving up, we have this. And something else will happen, some other event, and then we will see another threat building, and then bam, another event.

*This-is-distraction*.

Continuing.

We have to figure out why. I mean this. This trend is just too obvious, too consistent. It's increasing in it's clockwork.

Why? I cannot fathom these connections, this media, our reactions, as purely unique, individual events anymore. We need to collectively stop playing their game, and figure out the rules of this game.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I know what you mean

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
You don't think it has anything to do with less new information coming out about past events and the media covering new topics because, well they are new?

Should the major media outlets have not covered NK or the Boston Marathon and stuck to the Sandy Hook shooting even though there is no new information?

I believe if they did that then you would be jumping up and down about why the media is ignoring what's going on and their failure to report it. I'm sure you would turn that into a conspiracy.

I think no matter what they do there will be people that always suspect something is going on.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Yeah, exactly, it doesn't stop anymore. It's consistent and relentless in it's current state, yet, smartly on their part, eventual. It's been a smooth transition. It's very well apparent to myself though.

What gets me is that we the free thinkers, the ones who visit sites like this, we don't make the connections, we just play their game to more extremes than even the general population.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
You don't think it has anything to do with less new information coming out about past events and the media covering new topics because, well they are new?

Should the major media outlets have not covered NK or the Boston Marathon and stuck to the Sandy Hook shooting even though there is no new information?

I believe if they did that then you would be jumping up and down about why the media is ignoring what's going on and their failure to report it. I'm sure you would turn that into a conspiracy.

I think no matter what they do there will be people that always suspect something is going on.

I agree with some of your points sans the condescending tone.

There is no new information because currently, new information on old stories does not sell. It's not designed to sell. It doesn't have an anchor in the news anymore. No revelation can give the same effect as a new grandiose story.

You get a new big story, it's confusion for 2-4 days. You get a small snip of info. A few days. You get a nugget of info. A few days. Another. A week, maybe two. Then, oh, well it's on to another story by then.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by FrostForests

Originally posted by Hopechest

I agree with some of your points sans the condescending tone.

There is no new information because currently, new information on old stories does not sell. It's not designed to sell. It doesn't have an anchor in the news anymore. No revelation can give the same effect as a new grandiose story.

You get a new big story, it's confusion for 2-4 days. You get a small snip of info. A few days. You get a nugget of info. A few days. Another. A week, maybe two. Then, oh, well it's on to another story by then.

Of course they will always cover new stories first and why shouldn't they? How much new information is coming out about old stories compared to new current events. The major media provide a service and its usually to keep people informed of current events, not to cover those events in such detail that you could source them for a research paper.

That is not their role. They do not have the people with the necessary skills to always investigate every issue in depth, that is what investigative reporters do and they are far and few between. CNN, FOX, MSNBC exist only to keep you up to date on what's currently happening in the world, that's it. They don't pretend to be anything more than that so why are you holding them accountable for doing what they do?

They round out their current event coverage with any additional tidbits about old stories and fill the rest of the time with commentary or some version of talk shows and cute animal stories here and there.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

I, again, appreciate the points you make.

That said-

The issue I am attempting to convey is that we, as the general population, and here, where we are collectively free thinkers, we fail to understand that these stories, the media giants that we listen to, are playing a game to rules higher up than we generally give credit to.

They are not simply reporting events, they are intertwined with predetermined events and a essential aspect of these events and the effect on the population. Granted, I'm not sure if the general employees of said media factions are aware of this, it is a job, career and way of life, but all the same, corporate media has corporate standards.

What I really want to get at, is that we keep playing into the game. We need to appreciate what it is, for what it is. Not "The leftists this", "the conservatives that", "fox this","cnn that", it's a much larger game than this in global form. We should, ideally, appreciate that for what it is, and not fall for the bias we are trained for fall for.

Again, I appreciate your comments Hope, and please take no offense by my response, i'd just like to irradiate that by denying ignorance, we must first understand how we are led to it.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by FrostForests

Obviously, it's conditioning for control, but I don't see any kind of discernible pattern.

i.e. I think they just pick/create something to cover based on their need to sway opinions to favor their desires.

i.e. again: They make you want what they want by conditioning your thoughts through tv/current events --- but there isn't any set pattern that they use.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

The corporate standards do not extend beyond making a profit. They do this by selling advertisement on their stations or in their print media. They can charge a higher price if they have more viewers and a lesser price if they have fewer viewers.

Therefore they will report on things that people will be attracted to. People want to know what's happening in Boston as soon as it happens more than they want to know how OJ Simpsons appeal process is working out in Nevada.

I shudder to think how few viewers a news outlet would have if they ignored the Boston coverage to rehash old information about the Martin shooting every 5 minutes.

Now if your trying to say that the corporate media is somehow making these events happen and are planning them with governments in order to dictate what coverage we see I will respectfully say that has to be one of the most outlandish, far out claims I have ever heard of.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

I imply nothing of the sort, what you take from my statements is what you take.

What I'm attempting to make the connection to, and you are not responding to, is that the link between government actions and media is corporate, just not in the exclusive free market we tend to think exists.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   

We need to collectively stop playing their game, and figure out the rules of this game.

The only rule is to create FEAR in the population

Its not a distraction, its purposefully designed to attract attention...

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   

It would be nearly impossible, and to their detriment, to try to make, and use, a routine strategy; and for this reason, there is no pattern to recognize.

They must make and alter strategies based upon societies' trending world view. Trending being the key word - an eb and flow of our own world view. Our world view is changed by us and them and everything you can think of - even a bug you might walk by on your way to school, thus no one routine will work. Go back to sleep - life is more enjoyable that way.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   

or maybe - something different happens every day - and the news reports what happens

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
To me it seems very clear; perhaps I am over simplifying things, and there is more to it, but what is very clear to me is that the American public is de-sensitized. They are used to over stimulation.

When I go to the US now, I quickly become an anxious wreck, because of the media overload. There is so much to buy, and I am so sure I NEED it... all.

I tried to have conversations with people while the news was on a tv in the room, and every few seconds, blaring music and shocking headlines would have me jumping in my seat and unable to pay attention to anything else- I kept thinking- WHOA, WW3 JUST BEGAN!
..but no, a dog was rescued from a dam today.

I kept asking people- how can you ignore that? They just shrugged and said, it is always like that, you get used to it.

You need to really put in a lot of bells and whistles, sensationalized statements, and new and surprising stories to grab that public.

So they do.

(this reminds me of the thread where it was demanded why the french don't want their kids to smother all foods in sauces like ketchup- same principle- lose your sensitivity, you begin to shovel in large amounts of crap without discernment)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Well, I think that your observation is absolutely correct, the media does tend to squeeze every bit of attention out of sensational stories.

BUT I have to differ when it comes to the reasons. I think it is human nature to look for the big stories, for the sensations.

You can see that in the small scale even, look at gossip in a small village. Which story will be talked about more? The one about the farmer have a great crop this year, or the one about him cheating on his wife?

We humans are the reasons why news media with "big" stories sell better, nobody is forcing the public to buy into this. The public wants to.

I do not think that the media made us that way, I am convinced that WE made the media this way.

top topics

join