It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People in glass houses shouldnt run around naked...or something like that

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SinMaker

thank you and thank you for your service

i think everyone is tired of the war machine...even our soldiers...but you cannot fault them for thinking and believing in the good that is there...even in war...good things are done we just dont hear about them..

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I agree 100% with your post.

I was a nurse in the military, and I took care of soldiers coming home hurt and maimed in OIF and OEF operations. This current bombing in Boston, brought it all back. The horror and heartbreak that such mindless acts of terrorism cause.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I'll mention it here again. I think what really sticks in other countries craw - is how we respond to these acts. Which is so very different from how other countries respond to these incidents. Here we won't tire, we won't stop - until who did this is brought to justice. We will root them out and make them pay. If only other countries could make their terrorists pay for their actions. RIGHT? But they don't over there. The bombs go off almost daily, and it seems no one is held accountable. Instead, the answer is - oh it was this militant group or that group - and it would seem they are untouchable.

America won't tolerate that. You want to tolerate that crap in your own country - go ahead. But stop telling your people it's America's fault your rebels act the fool. We've plenty of rebels, hell America prides itself in it's rebels - but when our rebels act the fool - they pay the price. Period. In fact, if our domestic terrorists are found to be part of a larger group, the whole group is at risk for going down. Whether the terrorist acted alone or not. Leash your pups or get put down with them. I feel the same way about foreign countries and their terrorists - leash your pups - or get put down with them.

That's the warrior in me talking. Sorry I'm not a fluffy bunny all the time. This whole situation has elicited an emotional response in me, and I'm off center. I'll feel better when who did this is found and held accountable. I expect that from my government. All of you foreigners should expect no less from your governments to.

Cirque

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by CirqueDeTruth

Thank you for your service , you might've taken care of my husband in OEF.

I agree, our country tends to respond quickly and with effect. It is hard to swallow. I think fear might be the reason behind the hatred of our country. Your post made me realize that. Fear breeds intolerance.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by k21968

Thank you for your service , you might've taken care of my husband in OEF.

I agree, our country tends to respond quickly and with effect. It is hard to swallow. I think fear might be the reason behind the hatred of our country. Your post made me realize that. Fear breeds intolerance.

I'd be scared of us right now to. And pray, it's domestic. Hell, even I'm praying it's domestic.

Cirque

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

[ The people of the United States are theoretically responsible for the actions of their country abroad....but they seem to be unable to control their own goverments blood lusts.
Its entirely reasonable people would be miffed at Americans in general........

first you cannot judge an entire nation of people based upon the actions of the few you encounter overseas...

second, I am sure if I knew what country you are from, I could find examples of your nationals acting fools in the USA

third, I am not responsible for the actions of my country abroad no more than you are responsible for every soul that resides in your country

fourth, drone attacks killing thousands...again, it isnt the masses, hate our government ...dont hate the people.

You argument is really stereotyping... you cannot judge millions of people based upon what some tourists do or what our government does. We dont like it so much either. contrary to popular belief there isnt a lot we can do about it

I encourage you to spend some time in the American heartland, and get to know some americans

Lived in the good Ole USA almost two years...learned capitalism there....
among other things...
Dont get me wrong i love the constitution...the dream, of America........id fight to help you free yourselves even.....
But theres a crying need for a little less jingism in your country.....the gov couldnt scare yu into things that are not good for us......

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   
With what I have researched and seen :

I like the people of the US.

I despise the Government.

I also despise the Multinationals but that is for another day. Many started in the US.

Every US person I have met, corresponded with or corresponded with are very likeable. As in every culture, there are some Richard Craniums but overall you are very lovely people.

What you are seeing in most cases is people typing US when in fact they mean US Government. Perhaps I would suggest that when you see the negativity you are referring to, make the mental jump and assume the reference is to your Government.

That is my personal view for what it is worth to you.

Peace.

P

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
OP - I understand where you are coming from. I'm a proud American but I can also see a lot of faults in the average American's mentality.

We DO act arrogantly, and like we're better than the rest of the world. Many Americans think anything outside the US is a podunk, backwards, uncivilized place. They would never come out and say this but you can tell by their actions and their words.

Americans do NOT stand up for what is right. We are told what to do. We are brainwashed into being complacent. We sit on our couches in our climate controlled environments, gorge ourselves with crap food and think more about our favorite sitcoms and what Lindsay Lohan is doing than we do about our foreign policy.

Our foreign policy is the primary reason we are hated. We do not care to 'spread democracy' - what we want is to spread the effective range of our economy. Most US civilians AND soldiers are brainwashed to think we're out there trying to help.. A clear and unbiased look at the situation shows otherwise. We are responsible for so many deaths. We are responsible for so much poverty. We are responsible for so many livelihoods being blown away...

I am also offended when people make statements, here and anywhere, that lump all Americans into one ignorant group.. I guess the best way to respond to these comments is either to ignore them or to try and open up a dialogue with that person and show them that we're not all morbidly obese drones, living only to support the system.

If you love your country do something to fix it...

/rant

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Well all I can say is have you ever been to walt Disney world? You haven't seen rude until you've encountered a mob of Brazilian tourists. I tell you I've learned more about what countries to avoid in my time there then I did in my years in Canada. So really I'm worn out with being called rude or arrogant by people who hate America.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

damn, that's embarrassing

your title is misleading. i thought there would be nudity!

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
In South Africa there was an initial outpouring of sympathy for the victims of Monday's bombings in Boston.

However, by yesterday afternoon I heard on the radio that several opinions on the web were questioning why South Africans were so sympathetic to the Boston terror attack victims when terror attacks in Iraq or Pakistan had claimed more lives.
Newspapers highlighted the US attacks as front page news, while terror victims in Somalia, and other Muslim countries were only reported as snippets. Some said that the world has come to see Somalia or Iraq as a war zone, and therefore the loss of life was less shocking and run of the mill news.

Perhaps there's a truth to this and the media should highlight victims of terror in those countries.
However, I found it rude and unnecessary to turn a "Like" page on Facebook in sympathy with the Boston bombings into parodies that said things like "Like" if you have sympathy with the victims of "American terrorism".
The America-haters came out of the woodwork, and went beyond a debate about media representations to actually directly blaming the US for terrorism elsewhere in the world!

While the US certainly has to account for atrocities and drone attacks gone wrong (and countries should engage the US about this, just as Americans should engage their own government) I don't buy the argument that the US is directly responsible for terrorism in Muslim countries.
Sure, they removed a brutal dictator from Iraq who ruled various factions with an iron fist, but to me that does not make them responsible for terrorism in that country.

I think the Western media actually downplays terrorism in Iraq, Pakistan or Somalia because it would highlight the fact that there are Salafi extremists who are anti-democracy and have ultimate goals to bring the whole world under their version of Islam.
Such statements can be easily found in various documentaries.
Not only that, but such groups are actively recruiting (indoctrinating) fighters in countries all over the world to go to countries where extremists are engaged in combat with government forces.
I watched a German documentary about distraught German parents whose young adult children were converted by Salafist groups, and a few weeks later they were fighting in Pakistan or Somalia. One couple found out that their son had died fighting government forces in rural Pakistan when the authorities found his image on a website that celebrated fallen Salafi "martyrs".

The Western media has gone to great lengths to paint the majority of Muslims as moderate (despite the fact that SA had an urban terror campaign linked to Muslim extremists in the mid 1990s) and to forestall Islamophobia.
If the media made terrorism in Muslim countries front page news it would inevitably raise questions on the identity of the terrorists and their ideology, and that would not please local Muslim sensibilities.

In fact, not a single article even mentioned Muslim extremism and what these terrorists want.
It's all about the bad Americans.
In the eyes of some commentators there can be no other culprits or harmful ideologies except those from the US.
They've actually used the Boston bombs to push an agenda which would happily leave the world at the mercy of those with no belief in democracy or human rights outside a strict fundamentalist code.

Well, none of this necessarily directly links with the Boston bombs, but with the wider discourse around it.
My heart goes out to the victims in Boston, as well as the victims of American war crimes, and to those killed in terror attacks by Islamic extremists (actually war crimes too).

For myself the focus of sympathy for the victims of the Boston bombings is quite justified, no matter who was responsible, since it targeted a sporting event with international participants, and if people want to highlight other victims across the globe they should have done so without capitalizing on this tragic event, and using the victims as mere comparisons.
If they cared about other victims of terrorism they should have spoken up sooner instead of waiting for an American tragedy.
They're reinforcing what they want to criticize: they're going to wait for American victims to highlight the fact that other victims are less important!
How would they feel if they lost a family member and somebody said, oh, but much worse things happen somewhere else?
I do find it anti-Americanism, and a lack of sympathy, even for American civilians.

edit on 17-4-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Great point and not one I had considered....I will make the effort to assume they hate our government and not our people. Thank you for your point of view.

I dont like our government and I live here!!

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

reply to post by pheonix358

Great point and not one I had considered....I will make the effort to assume they hate our government and not our people. Thank you for your point of view.

I dont like our government and I live here!!

Yes please do hating America and hating Americans are 2 different things

personaly I can't stand your government... can't stand mine either but I understand that people are people no matter where they live Americans are just people like me and my friends

and also never forget this is the interwebs don't take things to heart.... tools will say stuff just to be tools...

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by k21968

Your husband did not ask to go to war, and hopefully he didn't kill any innocent people, but just because your husband did not ask or do those things, does not mean that it will be the same for other people.

There are plenty of people that go to the army because they think it's cool to kill people that are from different countries, races, nationalities, etc., and show how "macho" they are.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I think you need to provide a distinction between the American people and the American government. The problem isn't the people, it is the government that seems to want to alienate the rest of the world.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
It's like the tabloids...people love to see the mighty brought low...that's all it is...fantasy projection.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   

You are an idiot for wanting it to be domestic. A complete idiot. If it is this means "rebels" in this country have the courage to do this and they no longer have fear. this means they are challenging the establishment. This would be horrible news.. this means we are not united.. how can we fight abroad if we are being attacked at home.

You are a twit for praying for that.

and other nations do not willingly tolerate attacks like this.. They simply do not have the budget for military and defense like we do.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by votan

You are an idiot for wanting it to be domestic. A complete idiot. If it is this means "rebels" in this country have the courage to do this and they no longer have fear. this means they are challenging the establishment. This would be horrible news.. this means we are not united.. how can we fight abroad if we are being attacked at home.

You are a twit for praying for that.

and other nations do not willingly tolerate attacks like this.. They simply do not have the budget for military and defense like we do.

Your certainly entitled to your opinion.

But I won't call you an idiot for having one.

Cirque

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

Bitch more, AMerica sucks and you have your presidents and your congress to blame for that, i have nothing against the american people, just their leaders, they're evil and senile.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by bdb818888

Some times I wonder if we help some of these countries, we are probably getting something in return. I mean after all nothing is for free right?

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by six67seven

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join