It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A must have for your B.O.B.: Tampons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
This is really cool. I did know that tampons were actually invented to plug bullet holes, but I have NEVER thought exactly how handy these little things are. Maybe next time I wont feel so emasculated when I purchase my next box of tampons

This article gives ten great uses for tampons in a survival situation. Wow, a filter for water is my favorite! Enjoy

www.artofmanliness.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Move over Swiss Army Knife...here's the Swiss Army Tampon. I can vouch for the medical bandage use. During a high school wrestling match I took an elbow to the nose and a tampon was used to pack it and stop the bleeding. Nothing says "cool" like a tampon hanging out of your face...but it worked.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
What happens when you run out.

Those of us who really know how to survive know how to make these from items that exist in nature. Its actually very simple and is a key piece of knowledge to have since knowing how to make your own bandages is very similar.

Your supplies will not last forever.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
What happens when you run out.

Those of us who really know how to survive know how to make these from items that exist in nature. Its actually very simple and is a key piece of knowledge to have since knowing how to make your own bandages is very similar.

Your supplies will not last forever.

True...but isn't this cultivating the skill of taking an item and adapting it to a use other than it's intended purpose? Survival is about making use of what is in your immediate environment. If you reduce it to it's base level of what you can find in nature, if I take you out of the surroundings you are comfortable with and place you into strange, very different surroundings, you must find a way to adapt to the new "supplies" available. Learning this skill needs to start a some level, correct?
edit on 16-4-2013 by FatherStacks because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-4-2013 by FatherStacks because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
The source forgot nosebleeds.

I've had a male friend call the helpline on the box and ask how you use them. It's fun, throws them off. I highly suggest this.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by thesmokingman

tampons were actually invented to plug bullet holes,

That's irony

Invented to plug bullet holes... Likely because of the wife shooting at you for using her last Tampon to plug a bullet hole she made...

Ugh... my head hurts

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Tampons actually contain enough plastic material woven into the fibers to be melted and sharpened into a shank (prison knife).

So, if you have a bic lighter or a pack of matches, you might be able to make a rudimentary cutting tool.

I know people that work corrections and they have told me this is why women in prison aren't allowed to use tampons.

The more you know....

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

Being male not something I had considered

But being married, very useful information

So please, how can I improvise a tampon from nature ?

Edit
Just had flashbacks of South Park genuine Cherokee hair tampons

well done Akragon ( 2 down )beat me to it

Me I always carry a 4 pack in my kit
edit on 16-4-2013 by Neocrusader because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

I always had a few tampons and "Wings" as well in my personal 1st aid kit.

They did come in handy. But it is still good info to put out there for those who do not know.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neocrusader
reply to post by Hopechest

Being male not something I had considered

But being married, very useful information

So please, how can I improvise a tampon from nature ?

I hear cherokee hair works...

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Neocrusader

Well, you could roll up a bunch of leaves with the stems all pointing one direction and insert it...

Oh wait, you were referring to using these as a first aid item... never mind!

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Once again, I am the "thread killer". I post something, and the thread just dies. I'm not paranoid, so I'm chalking it up to lack of interest. The regularity of it, however, does seem odd given the member statistics and page views.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
just try not to go cheap and buy a buncha cotton balls and string all because she bought yer smokes in a tin and some rolling papers.

Wait you mean for the other thing right?

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
Once again, I am the "thread killer". I post something, and the thread just dies. I'm not paranoid, so I'm chalking it up to lack of interest. The regularity of it, however, does seem odd given the member statistics and page views.

Just wait till there is a shortage of tampons, you wait and see. This thread will skyrocket...

Good info though..

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   

I think many are missing the point. The OP is about an item to include in a BOB, not stating it as a wilderness survival skill indefinitely.

We use tampons all the time on the ranch, much cheaper (and more effective) than large gauze bandages for horse injuries that are bleeding. Horses are big creatures, and their wounds are too, when they get them from just being horses (fighting with other horses, being stupid around gates, etc.).

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Mini-pads are also a good item to carry in your BOB. Think Bandages = The indiviually wrapped kind are "clean", usually have a "liner" that will not stick to a wound and have "backing" of waxed paper/plastic type to help with bleeding. A little duc-tape and you are all set.

I have posted some of these uses before but didn't think of the water filter - Good Info!

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

When I was deployed to the desert in the early days of the Afghan war many soldiers would get their families to send them tampons in care packages because pressure dressings was a common thing for supplies to run low of. I never had to use one on anybody but it was still kinda funny at first to see a soldier with a "Tampax" wrapper sticking out of his pocket sometimes.

new topics

top topics

join