It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What ever happened to the "lost city off Cuba"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
A few years back there was a report of a megalithic site found in water 2000+ feet deep off the western tip of Cuba, National Geographic even showed interest in the story. I heard about it ONE time and have never heard anything since. If its real its the biggest discovery in the history of archaeology. And yet there doesn't seem to be any interest. I guess because it would turn the academic apple cart upside down forever as to our true history. Cover up?

What is interesting to me is that The Meso American cultures spoke of an island of origin called Aztlan (Atlantis?) that supposedly sank into the sea. Could this be it?

edit on 16-4-2013 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-4-2013 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by openminded2011
And yet there doesn't seem to be any interest.

Because there is nothing there - just look at the Baltic Sea UFO. All sorts of claims about what it is, upon further investigation it is just rocks.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I too am curious. When I heard about that one, I thought to myself "it's time to learn to scuba dive!"... So first I learned to swim, then to scuba... And then... What? No news?

Naturally, it sounds considerably deeper than I remember hearing... So maybe the scuba could come in handy somewhere else.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I recently saw a documentary on that.... They had sonar images from a submersible that they pieced together and it had all the characteristics of a city. Nobody has money to do much any more so that's probably all that'll come of it for 20years or so. 2000ft is a LOT of pressure/Darkness

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by CrikeyMagnet

Yes... That's too deep LOL

When is some genius going to develop a relatively inexpensive submersible drone so amatuers may explore the oceans' depths? It would be handy if you could drop it off at the beach and have it swim around for six months, either at the aforementioned area, or in the Bermuda Triangle.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Here's a pretty good discussion about it that was had on ATS if your interested.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Q33323
reply to post by CrikeyMagnet

Yes... That's too deep LOL

When is some genius going to develop a relatively inexpensive submersible drone so amatuers may explore the oceans' depths? It would be handy if you could drop it off at the beach and have it swim around for six months, either at the aforementioned area, or in the Bermuda Triangle.

Why wait for some genius to do it? The only difference between us and some genius (I mean other than the Engineering know-how, and funding) is... Well... Now I forgot what I was going to say.

But there's no harm in having ideas. There are fish and other creatures that do just fine at that depth. Let's start design there.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Basically, they found nothing.

Yes, people still go to the area, and it's been looked at again, but there's no city there and it's certainly not the Atlantis that's described by Plato.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Byrd

Yes, people still go to the area, and it's been looked at again, but there's no city there and it's certainly not the Atlantis that's described by Plato.

Really? Because that's awesome!

The thread linked above from a few years back has stayed in my mind. It was one of the things that got me to finally join up to ATS.

Who exactly is they? Do you have links providing further images of the site? What is the geological explanation for the underwater structures? Did the team take rock samples from the structures? Are there images of any thin sections available anywhere?

I mean "they" can't have found "nothing" can they? At the very least its some kind of interesting rock formation.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by openminded2011

I heard about this too back in 2005. Supposedly Zelitsky was trying to get research team together and explore the area better but the site is very deep (2000+ feet I think) and was definatly built many thousands of years ago, but like you said, things of this sort tend to go quiet when it involves information that would turn the established history on its head.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Byrd

numberjuggler

Byrd

Really? Because that's awesome!

The thread linked above from a few years back has stayed in my mind. It was one of the things that got me to finally join up to ATS.

Who exactly is they? Do you have links providing further images of the site? What is the geological explanation for the underwater structures? Did the team take rock samples from the structures? Are there images of any thin sections available anywhere?

I mean "they" can't have found "nothing" can they? At the very least its some kind of interesting rock formation.

I would also like to know what sources you use as base for what you say.

What people are still going there? The site is located at a depth of 2310 feet, in difficult waters. You can't just borrow uncle Carlos' dinghy and snorkel down to the site. Visibility is close to zero, no sunlight whatsoever. You need a big boat, a professional crew, divers, engineers, a fully equipped ROV and a truckload of cash to check it out.

I cannot assess what is or is not down there based on the data available. The sonar images are definitely interesting, and if I had to chose between natural formations and artificial formations, I would lean towards the second (I am an archaeologist by the way).

The ROV images brought back are inconclusive, because of extremely poor visibility. But they seem to show cut stones, straight angles, and the crew working the ROV claims to have seen pictographs and symbols carved into some of them. Once again, there is no conclusive data, but the site is definitely interesting, and should not be discarded simply because nothing is 'supposed' to be down there at that depth.

I believe this find 'died down' not because of poor data, but because of the extreme difficulty to access the site. It's too deep down, it's in Cuba, it's too expensive.
edit on 16-11-2013 by Heliocentric because: majestic swoop wings aligning with smooth water coming in to land

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Agreed, who is "They" last I really heard was the planned documentary was canceled and the cuba government was starting to tell people to leave it alone.

I was not aware there have been any visits to the site other than the original one that gave us the ROV shots of a supposed pyramid top.....

This is one of those cases where wiki really is the best source around.

Cuban city wiki

There are videos at the bottom of the page.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
After further investigations, I came across this account in an ATS thread from 2008, posted by member lostinspace :

Andrew Collins just e-mailed me a few minutes ago! It was very kind of him to explain the situation to me. This is what he said.

"Hi, There is no conspiracy, simply human necessities. Paulina Zelitsky and Paul Weinzweig held out as long as possible for the best possible deal on world rights to release pictures and video footage of what had been found. I know, I was involved with the deal from Random House, and was to have ghost written the accompanying book, which would have been accredited to them (I was chosen since the agent working on the project was working with me also, and I had just released GATEWAY TO ATLANTIS, which pinpointed Cuba as the site of the main island of Atlantis). The figure on offer was six figures in pounds sterling (based on a sliding scale of what had been discovered), but Paulina Zelitsky and Paul Weinzweig refused the offer, wanting even more to fund their future expeditions. They hoped that NatGeo would top the offer. However, when finally the pair released video footage of what they had found it was deemed both of poor quality and not what was hoped, and since Zelitsky and Weinzweig had run out of money, a stalemate ensued. No further footage could be got, so the Random House offer (which they could have taken) was withdrawn. I have no idea what offer NatGeo made, but I suspect it was afterwards withdrawn also. Zelitsky and Weinzweig had to go back to what they know best – treasure hunting and vessel salvage, and no one has heard from them since. They have simply vanished off the map. Story ends. This said, I firmly believe that prehistoric archaeology does await discovery off Cuba, and hopefully within the next year I will take part in a major expedition to identity suspected structures off both the north and south coasts of the island. Cuba is by far the best candidate for Atlantis’s flag ship, and one day hopefully we will be in a position to prove that. What exactly Zelitsky and Weinzweig discovered remains a mystery. Whether artificial structures, ballast from Russian submarines or natural features, we might never know. All theories are possible. Regards, Andrew Collins"

It looks like Paulina Zelitsky and Paul Weinzweig lost their chance at some funding for more exploration at the MEGA site. Too bad they didn't take the first offer. They may have found some good evidence if they went with Random House. If anyone is going to find undeniable facts about a sunken city near Cuba, in the near future, it will be Andrew Collins. TWISI, It looks like you can add two more red dots to your picture. -lostinspace

www.abovetopsecret.com...

According to Collins, funding is the villain in this story. It also seems like Zeltisky got into trouble in 2009, when she was arrested in Mexico, because of some sort of business deal gone wrong :

www.thestar.com...

So, money is most probably the reason why this site has not been properly investigated. Zelitsky and Weinzweig probably holds on to the coordinates of the site as intellectual property, which is what most professional "treasure hunters" do, but they have been unable to fund further expeditions, apparently.
edit on 18-11-2013 by Heliocentric because: Autumn moonlight— a worm digs silently into the chestnut.

top topics

join