It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Westboro Baptist Church Plans to Picket Boston Funerals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I didnt see this posted
This is truly disgusting

What is wrong with these people?
Sick. Sick. Sick.

'GOD SENT THE BOMBS IN FURY,' says fundamentalist church

In a tweeting binge following the explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday, the Westboro Baptist Church celebrated the carnage and announced its intention to picket the funerals of victims. The tiny Topeka, Kan., fundamentalist group urged the U.S. government to "reinstate" the death penalty for homosexuality and warned "violence will fully consume u [sic]" if that doesn't happen. Most of the church's tweets said same-sex marriage caused the bombing, but others mentioned abortion and supposed mistreatment of the church.

Source

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Who in their right mind celebrates carnage??

I cannot believe anybody could say such hateful things about the loss of innocent lives.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Nothing new about this as it is par for the course with this group.
That being said, it is their right to use free speech in that manner.
As much as most people , including me, disagree with it.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Its not illegal to poke a gator but no one really feels sorry for what happens too those who do, law enforcement should tell these idiots that they are on their own.
edit on 16-4-2013 by swimmer15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Well I know this group is always protesting something they don't agree with.
I have to disagree about free speech being used at private funerals.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Those people have got to be certifiable! How can such stupidity be allowed to run rampant in our world. These people " a term i use loosely" shouldnt be allowed to reproduce.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Archenfel

I'll tell you how, because there is no repercussions. People think freedom of speech means free to say what you want in any manner you feel. Sorry but there is a line between voicing an opinion and flat disrespect and the latter deserves to swallow teeth.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
They way I see it, heinous people like the WBC do some "good" (and I use that term loosely) in that they keep the boundaries of free speech as broad for the rest of us as possible. Once you take away their right to express ideas (no matter how repugnant) just by fact that those ideas are deemed offensive, it becomes a slippery slope for other ideas. Censorship gains momentum and quickly spirals out of control...next thing you know the border defining free speech has deteriorated from five miles to five millimeters.

Or at least that's how I rationalize it to keep from driving me mad...

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by swimmer15

I agree. One day someone will get sick of them and leave a trail of corpses. I dont think it will come fast enough though.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

The leaders of Westboro Baptist Church and I suspect most of its followers...are...

superficial, shallow, slimy, vile thinkers and doers. They represent the worst parts of humanity.

I really don't know how they can sleep at night.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by swimmer15

I'll tell you how, because there is no repercussions. People think freedom of speech means free to say what you want in any manner you feel. Sorry but there is a line between voicing an opinion and flat disrespect and the latter deserves to swallow teeth.

I totally understand and respect your position. But as rhetorical question, is "free speech" really "free speech" if it is conditional? Placing consequences on freedom of speech is a dangerous game...take North Korea, there you surely can say what you want...you just have to face the consequences. Granted those consequences may be severe.
edit on 16-4-2013 by FatherStacks because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
reply to post by violet

The leaders of Westboro Baptist Church and I suspect most of its followers...are...

superficial, shallow, slimy, vile thinkers and doers. They represent the worst parts of humanity.

Likely self gratification.... knowing full well they're following the bible to the letter..

:shk:

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
reply to post by violet

One can sleep remarkably well at night without a conscience.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I can usually find an opposite point of view on issues but I'm not even going to try with this group. Some methods are just simply wrong and there are certainly better ways to go about spreading their message than this.

Although it is similar to many of the vietnam protestors who spit on soldiers in the airport but at least they were living and could swing back.

This form of protest just crosses a line of human decency.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by FatherStacks

Originally posted by swimmer15

I totally understand and respect your position. But as rhetorical question, is "free speech" really "free speech" if it is conditional? Placing consequences on freedom of speech is a dangerous game...take North Korea, there you surely can say what you want...you just have to face the consequences. Granted those consequences may be severe.

I think law enforcement should protect freedom of speech and the constitution. But I put the WBC in the same category as the KKK. If by voicing your views/opinion in a manner to likely create a conflict they should be persuaded to chose a different forum or accept responsibility for whatever reaction they receive or create. My thoughts are that, The KKK will not march down the streets of East St. Louis preaching their BS for a reason, no way Law Enforment would let it happen and their freedom of speech is very well still in tact.

I agree that placing consequences on freedom of speech is dangerous and from the government standpoint I don't think they should. But I don't see anything wrong with local law enforcement telling these people that they are not invited, its a private event, and they will be held solely responsible for any disturbance caused by their actions and doing so publicly.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Now why can't the unknown barbarians who set off bombs in crowds target this group of foul people.

Of anyone would be deserving of it.. surely they would.

ugh.. they sicken me, but I guess still not enough to wish they were blown up. But very very close.

hope they all get cancer of the brain.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
They're going to show up in Boston? Don't they know what Boston boys do to people who slander their living, let alone their dead? This is not smart on the Westboro church's part (and how do they get all their travel money?), and Fred better start putting on his best Boston accent to politely ask for extra police (and national guard) protection.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

What is wrong with these people, to ever picket a funeral especially for innocents is just disgusting. So sad for all the families to have to deal with this.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
This group is like that kid you scoffed upon in highschool, trying to get attention by being an @$$h0l3. Don't even let them have the spot light - they aren't worth the time. They'll try to offend anyone they can until their last dying breath. Screw em, don't give them attention like the crying kid, laying on the ground screaming in the department store cause they can't get their toy.

top topics

join