It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Due to ObamaCare, Nation's Largest Movie Theater Chain Cuts Employee Hours

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
reply to post by 727Sky

How many people who have families work in movie theaters?

Around here it is mostly kids

It is not just movie theaters. It is everywhere. My husband works in retail warehouse. Target is no longer hiring full tine employees nation wide . It is now only hiring temporaries. because of the health care. I fear them just looking for a reason to lay off the ones are hired by them, my husband who has been there long term could loose his job.

They already cut the hours of the full time workers, took away vacation pay, now you have to use the hours.
No time and half anymore on Holidays etc.

This is going to be viral with most employers.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

That's the way to do it!

I've done the dinner before the movie thing, but we never got a discount on movie tickets!

If all the movie theaters banded together and told the movie industry that they refuse to accept anything less than 50% of box office sales the opening week(s) -- they theoretically could lower their prices.

The problem then becomes Hollywood claiming, "But it costs so MUCH to make these movies!". I call BS. An actor doesn't need to be compensated to the tune of 30 million dollars for 3 months of work.

I'm sorry, acting isn't THAT hard. I've taken years of drama classes. The reason it's such a competitive profession is because it IS easy and everyone wants to do it. You don't see everyone running out to be a particle physicist, do you?

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Actually GREED is going to be the downfall of this country!

Everything is being over charged by owners and businessmen to make as big a profit as possible. The blame will be placed on the cost of resources but this is not true. EVERYONE is trying to make as much profit as possible and become rich.

The excuse being used is that prices are set to what the market will bear. Just because the market can bear a price doesn't mean you set your price there! With you and your competitors only varying by a few cents!

LOL the dogs are coming home! Everyone who jacked their prices up are going to have a rude awakening. At the same time people who are accustomed to making $90 per hour are going to be in for a surprise too. The pay rate will also drop.

I predict that, unless we find another resource to create a bubble, everything is about to decline: pay and products.

In ref to the thread: It should be criminal for a persons health to be tied to their employer.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

So if companies cut out things like insurance and other stuff they offer as perks or "Company Benefits", naturally their pay rates will go up enough so the affected employees can afford private insurance that they decide on at home right?

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DZAG Wright

GREED is destroying our country. But it is the GREED of the entitlement class, that finds it easier to take instead of work for, the money needed to stabilize a country.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
It's called greed. The theaters could and should pay the price, after all it usually rakes in $20 per theater goer, times what 150 or 200 people, at a two hour shot, times probably at least eight showings. Pure greed on theater's part... don't forget that.....!

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DZAG Wright

Everything is being over charged by owners and businessmen to make as big a profit as possible. The blame will be placed on the cost of resources but this is not true. EVERYONE is trying to make as much profit as possible and become rich.

Not everyone. I am still charging the same prices I was eight years ago, despite the little fact that Gasoline and Propane (I use 16,000 gallons a year of Propane) have more than double/tripled in price. Sadly my industry can only charge so much so every time my costs go up I lose more money.

Here in California the State is not paying the Feds their Workmans Comp bill so the Feds are taking from the businesses directly. While the businesses are still being required to pay to the State.

Only a true wage slave that has never owned a business would make a comment such as yours.
edit on 17-4-2013 by Mamatus because: Gwammer and speeeeling

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

Yet Target's stock is at an all time high.
Target Corporation(NYSE:TGT)

If Obamacare has yet to take affect, why are companies making so many changes now? In anticipation. They're aren't actually losing any money right now are they. But your families are!

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
We will see if there are enough hands willing to work to supply 30 hours workers to everyone. Also, corporate porfits are at a record high. The past 4 years certainly werent bad for them.
edit on 17-4-2013 by Merinda because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

GREED is destroying our country. But it is the GREED of the entitlement class, that finds it easier to take instead of work for, the money needed to stabilize a country.
Now, if I read correctly, the entitlement class includes includes those who have paid into social security, your vets, seniors generally...folks like that. Well, I'd say they've paid into their entitlement and shame on anyone who tries to weasel out of it. So how come nobody goes after the super rich...who have been getting even richer? Middle America blames the poor, and "the entitled"...and the rich laff their freakin' heads off, and not in a good old Louis XVI manner, either.
edit on 17-4-2013 by JohnnyCanuck because: it needed clarity, eh?

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
reply to post by tothetenthpower

30% profit margin?
Is that all?
You'd think it would be higher with them charging 12 bucks for a soda and popcorn.

High real estate rent. They have it.

They do make tons of money, but the landowners make more, when you consider investment vs. return.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Ok, I'll bite on this one.

Let's take it apart shall we. In dot points (who doesn't like dot points?)

- It's publicly listed, operating for the sole purpose of returning profits to shareholders.
- Its net PROFIT for the '12 FY was 330m, up from 230m in '11.
- Its long term debt is almost the same as their short and long term assets combined.
- Investors don't seem too fussed about the effect of obama care.. look at their share price!

So what does this mean? It means they are just another company doing their thing, cutting costs as much as they can, for the purpose of appeasing shareholders. investors seemingly aren't too worried about obamacare's impact on their margins.

So c'mon, complete utter BS that they're struggling. Their debt is a bit high.. but that's their fault.. Another point: Obamacare would be seen as a liability (accounting = future outflow), and with already high debt, investors wouldn't be as happy if their ledgers changed in this regard. It may trigger a debt covenant if it were to worsen, and their long term paper would have to be settled (renegotiated), perhaps leaving them insolvent, or at least with less liquidity. Whose fault is the debt?

See it for what it is people.

I'm not very impressed by some of the comments here I must admit. People just jumping in saying "yeah, look how bad it is! obama bad!".. if it makes you feel better though then go ahead.

edit on 17-4-2013 by spoogemonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWrightWing

Originally posted by Hope4peace
So you think it is okay for 1 person to own 10 vehicles, 4 homes at each corner of the map, a Private jet, the staff to keep up all of these expenses.....dinners at fancy restaurants that are over priced, prostitutes, coc aine ect.
All while people with MORALS try to raise their families and have health insurance go without? Sure, nobody owes anybody anything but it should at least come down to the common sense of "take and give", good values and high morals.

Its none of my business, or yours, what people do with their own money. Would you pass a law that prohibits folks from owning x number of cars? Limit how many times a week you can go to over-priced, fancy restaurants?

Whats it to you? Mind your own damned business and stop counting other peoples money.

If it effects me than it is my business...in the case of a greedy CEO refusing to downsize to a normal lifestyle so others don't have to suffer, makes it everybody's business! We all have to share this planet and it's resources with each other...we should all work together with teamwork so if one greedy person is ruining the lives of others then you think that is fair?

So you think the average American is LOOTING off these big wig CEO's ? That is a sad way of thinking.
It's those big wigs at the top that should take the pay cut. Sell a few of those cars, two of those 4 homes, eat at normal restaurants, get off the drugs, sleep with your wife not the whores ect. Geez, what is wrong with some people! Spoiled, materialistic Americans.

Would you force them by law to acknowledge that "At some point you've made enough money"? Would you force them by law to sell off their property and only go to eateries you approve of and control their personal decisions, by force of law?

No I would not force anyone to change their way of living. I would just hope that they tried to live their lives with morals. Ya know the saying..."What would Jesus do"? If everyone tried to live a more humble lifestyle and wasn't so preoccupied with material possessions and getting rich than I think people would be more happy all around.

Responses like yours are a reminder; Inside Every Leftist Is a Little Authoritarian Dying to Get Out

You don't even know me...I am not a leftist and I have no desire to control people. If anything I just wish for peace and harmony.

You run your business and your life your way, I'll run mine the way I see fit.

Just remember your neighbor in hard times because it could come back on you where you'll need help one day and your karma might put you in a lonely position.

With your um, "permission" of course.

To make sure you are clear on where I am coming from I offer a reminder: Howard Roark, from Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead:

I do not recognize anyone’s right to one minute of my life. Nor to any part of my energy. Nor to any achievement of mine. No matter who makes the claim, how large their number or how great their need.

You can hear and see the speech in its entirety here, a teaching moment every person should be at least aware of:

Earn your own wealth, others have done it and you can too. You deserve success.
edit on 17-4-2013 by TheWrightWing because: Spellcheck

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

To be honest with you, I really don't know enough about ObamaCare to make a valid statement...and unless someone has read the whole thing (all thousand and something pages) they really don't either. But I do know a lot about greed.

I'm in my 40's, I've had a good life so far, I just happen to be a very compassionate female (maybe that's what it is, I'm not a man)...no offense of course. I have a strong belief in balance, fairness, teamwork and love for thy fellow man/woman. I see a lot of hate in this world and it sickens me. I've seen what greed and money have done to people.

We are all born into this world where even our basic needs cost money (food, shelter, medical). Some are born into a lucky family and others come into a family that is not so lucky. (if you must know, I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth but took it out the moment I learned of the unfairness in this world).
The "lucky" ones love to point fingers at the "unlucky" ones and say they are lazy, mooches ect. They claim there is equal opportunity which I've lived long enough to know that is not completely true.

Now, I know there are some bad apples out there that do in fact mooch and they are no better than the greedy CEO's but I don't go around defending those bad apples as some people seem to like to defend the greedy, cold, heartless big wigs.
My first post in this thread was directed at one of those kind of people that seemed to be defending the greedy ones at the top. That is why I even spoke up to begin with.

In closing, it sounds like you have been dealt a rough hand and I am sorry to hear that you have to struggle. If I'm wrong on who the real enemy is than share your thoughts with me.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Don't support Regal's decision, but also can't see how not going to their theaters anymore is some sort of solution. That would mean I prefer the whole chain to cut and reduce even more workers' hours by deciding to boycott, which is unfair to their current workers depending on Regal.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Hope4peace

It’s all good. We all have a tendency to paint with a big brush from time to time, so more so than others.

I have read the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) and a lot of it is legalese that will put you to sleep if you ever suffer insomnia.

But there are also provisions that will make your blood boil. The main one being that you are basically turning over your health decisions to others. Thankfully, if you have your own insurance (at the moment anyways) you don’t have to go through that…but they are really two sides of the same coin. Insurance companies can and will drop you if you cost them to much money.

I’m not heartless, I think that we should take care of our fellow humans, but the funding for this is just not there based upon the current tax base, even with the expiration of the tax breaks. Obama is right in this case, we will have to raise taxes to cover this. But the thing is; will those taxes go specifically to cover the PPACA or will they be spread across the spectrum? I think that latter knowing the Government.

Here's some irony for you. If I hadn't taken a part time job, I would have received a tax refund. I had to quit unfortunately…damn it…I loved that job.

It's like the Gov't is encouraging me to be lazy. I just can’t do that.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Do you really believe that in a country run by wealthy people and corporations...they would allow POOR people to ruin their golden goose? In a country where poor people have no voice, can be incarcerated for being poor and not able to afford representation, etc.

You really should tune out the Right Wing propaganda and use common sense.

This country would not even ALLOW poor people to have this impact.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus

Originally posted by DZAG Wright

Not everyone. I am still charging the same prices I was eight years ago, despite the little fact that Gasoline and Propane (I use 16,000 gallons a year of Propane) have more than double/tripled in price. Sadly my industry can only charge so much so every time my costs go up I lose more money.

Here in California the State is not paying the Feds their Workmans Comp bill so the Feds are taking from the businesses directly. While the businesses are still being required to pay to the State.

Only a true wage slave that has never owned a business would make a comment such as yours.
edit on 17-4-2013 by Mamatus because: Gwammer and speeeeling

Well perhaps your prices have been too high from the beginning?

The rest of your statement I need clarification as to where you're headed...

Myself, I will never be a wage slave, there's too much knowledge in my possession and I see through the illusion.

Also, anyone reading your comments can see the mindset of business owners such as yourself. You use the term "wage slave" as the 21st Century version of "slave". You believe anyone not a business owner is in a different class and are beneath you and your peers.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons

Americans that produced quality products unsurpassed by any industrial nation.

When was that and what products would that be ?

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008

Originally posted by WeRpeons

Americans that produced quality products unsurpassed by any industrial nation.

When was that and what products would that be ?

Good question; I would have to say the time frame was in the late 50s early 60s with Aircraft, movie productions (our movies were all over the world and made many foreign nationals want to immigrate to the U.S.), and most believe the manufacture of implements for war.....Cars might be in there someplace....Most people had jobs and felt there was a bright future so it was easy to gloss over or see the world through rose colored glasses.

There were many other things we led the world in as far as discovery and quality of manufacturing...but just my opinion.
edit on 18-4-2013 by 727Sky because: edit

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join