It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Due to ObamaCare, Nation's Largest Movie Theater Chain Cuts Employee Hours

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
Does your job provide your car insurance? Homeowner's insurance? Burial insurance? Insurance, of all types, should be a personal decision and responsibility.

Boy, are you confused...

Car insurance is mandatory because they could make a decision to not buy it and then wrecked someone's car. Same goes for homeowners with mortgage and all. Health insurance is not that different, because despite what that moron Ron Paul says, it's not really in human nature to pull the plug on a life support machine even if the patient doesn't have enough $$ to pay for its operation.

The way health insurance is handled in this country is totally absurd. Obamacare may have had good intentions, but ultimately sold out to special interests anyhow. We can take the experience of any of highly developed countries and implement it right here. They don't seem to be unhappy and they spend less on health, too.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
reply to post by 727Sky

How many people who have families work in movie theaters?

Around here it is mostly kids

This is a good point. If you work in a movie theatre making minimum wage, you might want to wrap it before you tap it. Don't have kids unless you can afford to pay for them. If you're having to bring home left over popcorn to survive, you probably should't be breeding.

I see this all the time around the child support office. Some of these guys have 10+ kids with multiple women. Some resort to illegal means to make money. (I don't work for a child support agency btw)

And yes, I know that there are predatory women that will lie and say whatever to get pregnant. That is why as a man, wrap it up unless you want to pay $160,000 over the course of 18 years. They make little bottles of tobasco, put a few drops in before you tie it off and throw it away if you're paranoid.
edit on 16-4-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
reply to post by tothetenthpower

The hollywood model is a flawed one.

I remember how one Director was saying how his movie grossed 150million. Yet the studios said his movie made 0 profit.

Creative accounting strikes again.
Wow! Just Wow! Dude you really need to take an accounting class or something. First of all gross receivables and net income are totally different. Do you think that movie got made for free? The actors, writers, gaffers, etc... all had to get paid out of that money. Props, film, location, and government fees all had to come from that money. The health insurance costs for the employees had to come out of that money. It is very easy to see how a film grossing $150,000,000 could lose money. All businesses work this way. That 40 million dollar profit on 2 billion dollar gross is only a profit margin of 2%.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
So, its ok to pay 6 dollars for a bucket of sugar water (a coke) but its not ok for 25 cents of that 6 dollars to go towards insuring the wage slave who serves it to you? Also its not "Obamacare" that cut their hours, its GREED.
edit on 16-4-2013 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Nice to see how corporate greed always gets a free pass from some folks.

I expect corporations to watch their bottom line. Just like I expect my government to obey the Constitution and stay the hell out of my life. It was FDR's(liberal/progressive/statist) policies that put us on the road to companies providing health insurance to their workers. It was and still is a stupid idea. Does your job provide your car insurance? Homeowner's insurance? Burial insurance? Insurance, of all types, should be a personal decision and responsibility. When you consider all of the problems caused by tying together job and health insurance, anybody can see that it needs to change. Where statists and libertarians have our difference of opinion is what the change should be. Nanny state liberals want government provided(taxpayer funded) health coverage. Freedom loving libertarians see the dangers of such a plan and do not want it.

It wasn't just FDR's fault, it was that Abraham Lincoln character freeing the slaves and those liberals insisting we eliminate child labor laws. It was practically a paradise before that.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Yeah it's a bit funny that some blame the legislation, as opposed to the greedy business who doesn't want to put a dent in their 30% profit margin..

Amazing what some people think is ok huh?

~Tenth

Businesses have a bottom line, what you're suggesting is that a business should not be allowed to determine what their profit margins should be? Many businesses have high cost of operation. Before Obamacare, there wasn't any large firings but after Obamacare there are large firings, don't be surprised if people 'blame the legislation'

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by openminded2011
So, its ok to pay 6 dollars for a bucket of sugar water (a coke) but its not ok for 25 cents of that 6 dollars to go towards insuring the wage slave who serves it to you? Also its not "Obamacare" that cut their hours, its GREED.

Why dont you open a movie theater of your own and run it the way you see fit?

Be sure not to complain when people demand you owe them what you have earned through your hard work and risk.

That means do not resist the looters who claw at your wallet lest you be one of the greedy sort who would refuse them your property.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
DO NOT BLAME Obama..

Blame the greedy upper management of the company.

If Obama raised the minimum wage to 20$, which is should be to cover cost of inflation and what not, and people started to lay people off.. would you blame him then?

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
DO NOT BLAME Obama..

Blame the greedy upper management of the company.

If Obama raised the minimum wage to 20$, which is should be to cover cost of inflation and what not, and people started to lay people off.. would you blame him then?

Yes! Raising the minimum wage would increase the costs of all goods and services being purchased rendering the "raise" moot and leading to even more inflation.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

Why stop at $20?

If Obama really cared about "The Poor" wouldn't he demand the minimum wage be raised to $100? Then we'd all be rich!

Pure genius.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWrightWing

Why dont you open a movie theater of your own and run it the way you see fit?

Be sure not to complain when people demand you owe them what you have earned through your hard work and risk.

That means do not resist the looters who claw at your wallet lest you be one of the greedy sort who would refuse them your property.

I won't ever have that problem because I would pay a living wage. I have this pesky thing called morals which would force me to pay people enough to make it, not just myself. The only people who have a problem with paying a living wage are sociopaths.

I have an idea for you. Why dont you buy a movie theater and run it totally by yourself? Then you WILL actually be entitled to keep the share of your profits that your greed requires.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

I won't ever have that problem because I would pay a living wage. I have this pesky thing called morals which would force me to pay people enough to make it, not just myself.
Great! Why haven't you done it already? Surely such an altruist as yourself should have started and succeeded with dozens of businesses by now. Where are they located? People need jobs man, I will send the ones I know your way. You do have those businesses right? You are not just talking out your hole about a topic where you don't have the first clue, are you?

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

I won't ever have that problem because I would pay a living wage. I have this pesky thing called morals which would force me to pay people enough to make it, not just myself.

Sure you would, why haven't you done this already?

What has prevented you from helping out the poor all this time?

By not starting your own business and paying unskilled workers a high salary with full benefits, you have been shirking this "moral" responsibility. Your excuse?

Be sure to keep us posted on your "morally" driven business venture, won't you?

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Uh insurance,health insurance is a corporate product.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

remember how one Director was saying how his movie grossed 150million. Yet the studios said his movie made 0 profit.

A movie grossed 150 million bucks alright so how much money did it take to make that movie?

a movie takes in 150 million cost 300 million to make there is no profit.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Well hoorah for the living wage crowd really!!!!!

Pay people more money so they can go out, and buy more corporate products!!!

Makes perfect sense.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWrightWing

Wow I think I hit a nerve.

How do you know I haven't? You assume a lot. it IS possible to run a business ans pay people a decent wage. It's not just moral, it's smart.

I noticed you ignored my idea.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

reply to post by TheWrightWing

How do you know I haven't?
You haven't. You're just a talker. You know nothing about running a business, that is obvious.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWrightWing

Funny how resistance to mob looting is always seen as "Greed" by some.

No one owes you one second of their life or one penny of their property.

Lets be clear on at least that, agreed?

Lies. I owe every single damned bit of my success to my neighbors, my community, and my government. Unless you are in the woods, living under some shrubs, killing your own bears for clothing and meat, you too owe your success to one another.

I have no qualms about paying back my community. Hiding selfishness behind "principal" is a very ugly thing. I truly do wish those people would move somewhere they could truly spread their wings of independent freedom. Like Somalia.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join