It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists use robot to explore Mexico's Teotihuacan site

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
This, i hope, is going to be very cool, i am excited to see what might show up in this hidden room, at the end of the tunnel.

Aparently there are 3 rooms which has been discovered using Geo radar, it is believed to contain the remains of some of the important characters of the site.The robot is used to plan the physical exploration.

The tunnel was actually discovered back in 2003, so it's been a long wait to see it's content.

Click me

A robot will soon begin exploring the last stretch of a tunnel found at the archaeological site of Teotihuacan in central Mexico, the third time anywhere in the world that such an automaton is used to design excavation strategies.

The tunnel, discovered under the Temple of the Plumed Serpent, or Quetzalcoatl, is believed to lead to a chamber almost 2,000 years old, probably a place where dignitaries of the pre-Columbian city received their investiture or were buried, the National Anthropology and History Institute, or INAH, said.

So far, INAH has found approximately 60,000 pieces of artifacts and pottery throughout the excavation, and they theorize that the tunnel could lead them to where the remains of rulers of the ancient city may have been laid to rest. According to archaeologist Sergio Gomez, “every day our expectations are increasing”. It’s known that rulers were buried in the holiest places. “For a long time local and foreign archaeologists have attempted to locate the graves of the rulers of the ancient city, but the search has been fruitless.”

As i was looking for more info on this, i found that the robot allready have entered the tunnel and taken some pics, not that there is much to see yet.
Edit: The info and pics below is aparently from the first part of the tunnel done with Tlalogue 1 back in 2010, the next part will be done by Tlalogue II, which is mentioned above.
More info and first pics

The robot

Tlaloque 1 entered the tunnel providing images used to plan the physical exploration

edit on 16-4-2013 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-4-2013 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Nice,

I anxiously await the results of the robosploration. So little is know about teotihuacan, one of the largest and .most influential cities of the ancient wolrd.
S & F

join