It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At least 138,500 Whales and Dolphins at Risk

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+59 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
This info is very alarming ..

Please read all ..

oceana.org...

Marine Life and Coastal Economies Threatened by Seismic Airgun Use in Atlantic Ocean
All Press Releases…
At least 138,500 Whales and Dolphins at Risk

April 16, 2013
Washington, D.C.
Amelia Vorpahl

Oceana released a new report today showing that marine life and coastal economies along the Atlantic Ocean are threatened by seismic airguns used in testing for offshore oil and gas. The United States government itself estimates that the use of seismic airguns along the East Coast – an area twice the size of California, stretching from Delaware to Florida – will injure and possibly kill 138,500 whales and dolphins, and disturb necessary activities for millions more.

“Instead of learning from the Deepwater Horizon oil disaster three years ago, President Obama is now considering taking the first steps to expand our dangerous dependence on fossil fuels to the Atlantic Ocean, an area that has been protected from drilling for more than 30 years,” said Jacqueline Savitz, deputy vice president for U.S. campaigns at Oceana. “With minimal oil reserves there, and drilling at least five years off, seismic testing is an unnecessary insult to whales, dolphins and other marine animals. Drilling in the Atlantic won’t lower gas prices; it will instead lead to more oil disasters and more dependence on fossil fuels. Focusing on developing cleaner energy sources would be more strategic for our country and more sustainable for our oceans.”

During this testing process, a vessel tows one or more seismic airguns, which shoot extremely loud blasts of compressed air through the ocean and miles under the seafloor every ten seconds, 24 hours a day, for days to weeks on end. The airguns are 100,000 times more intense than a jet engine and can disturb the vital behaviors of fish, dolphins, whales and sea turtles, causing temporary and permanent hearing loss, driving animals from their homes, disrupting mating and causing animals to become stranded on beaches. Some of these disruptions can lead to death, and for populations that are already struggling, this could have devastating consequences. Airguns and offshore drilling also threaten commercial and recreational fisheries, as well as tourism and coastal recreation, putting more than 730,000 jobs at risk in the blast zone alone.

edit on 16-4-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I wish this thread would get some attention but.. with the whole bombing discussion....

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
I wish this thread would get some attention but.. with the whole bombing discussion....

Please read all ..

Also please flag this information ..

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

It will get attention Lucid, but in order to do so we alo need to flag this thread.

Here we go again with the famous recipie : Man+petrol+money = Screw the world and everything on it...

It sickens and saddens me to see these companies doing this when there are alternative methods that "COULD" be used!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
How many ways can we destroy the ocean and everything in it?
Apparently limitless........

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
We are allowing our politicians and corporations to kill much of nature. Changes are happening fast, I can't believe what I have seen in just 30 years of paying attention. When there is little to nothing alive in the oceans that is edible the world will go to war for food resources.

There may come a time in my life I would love to eat a whale. Although personally, I find it abhorrent to eat a critter that is smarter than us. I think I would rather eat stupid people, should taste a lot lot like pork being the pigs we are.

I am embarrassed to be human.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Ugh. If we can't get our heads out of our collective rear-ends soon I really hope something wipes our entire species off this planet. We are too dangerous to live.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I wonder if this is why we have had so many creatures washing up, enmass on our beaches!

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus
We are allowing our politicians and corporations to kill much of nature. Changes are happening fast, I can't believe what I have seen in just 30 years of paying attention. When there is little to nothing alive in the oceans that is edible the world will go to war for food resources.

There may come a time in my life I would love to eat a whale. Although personally, I find it abhorrent to eat a critter that is smarter than us. I think I would rather eat stupid people, should taste a lot lot like pork being the pigs we are.

I am embarrassed to be human.

My to0

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rodinus

It will get attention Lucid, but in order to do so we alo need to flag this thread.

Here we go again with the famous recipie : Man+petrol+money = Screw the world and everything on it...

It sickens and saddens me to see these companies doing this when there are alternative methods that "COULD" be used!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

Thank you ..

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Can someone please give 2 flags so more people can read this ..

Tnx ..

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
* no come on, there's gotta be something we at ats can do to stop this evil that's about to happen, i was reading a thread the other day about how a lil 13 year old girl saved a forest by herself. Wtf there are hundreds of members here.
We got the internet... USE IT!
Facebook posts, twitter posts, youtube videos come on!!! >.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
This is the most disturbing thing I have read on ATS in a long time.

What can we do about this?

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
S & F

This is really horrible. A complete disregard for creatures with a huge amount of intelligence. Colour me very unimpressed.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
This is one way to help.

People should also write to their representatives.

Edit: I just found this which may also help.

edit on 2013/4/16 by SteveR because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Thanks for posting that link SteveR.

This is so disgusting! I'm balanced on the knife-edge of heartbreak and rage! I'm so sick of seeing the total lack of care or compassion for anything else that is trapped here with.. us ! If it doesn't make $$ than 'who cares' right?
I wish all the species could somehow be saved from our arrogance, but short of Divine Intervention, it probably isn't going to happen.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I signed the petition...They need more signatures.
See the OP's link for the link to the petition.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Are we going to do something about this or are we just gonna discuss how bad and sad it all is?

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by MariaLida

My pleasure Maria,

If only more people would take the time to become REALLY aware of this extremely alarming situation and actually rallied together to show the powers that be that we have had enough of this situation and that people stop thinking about their selfish needs... then maybe one day the world might become a better place...

I fear that it is too late though and that the odious species called Homo Sapiens Sapiens has definately screwed this planet for good...

I sometimes ask myself if people realise what harm this actually does to the food chain in the long run!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join