It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Quake Swarm Invades Yellowstone- inside the caldera

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Starting yesterday, a new microquake swarm started in the southwestern part of the caldera- inside the caldera:

www.seis.utah.edu...

What's curious about this one is it seems to be spread out in a wider area than usual. Most of the time they tend to stay in one area.

Recently in the last year, I have been noticing activity spread out across the whole area, and sometimes multiple areas activating at once in small spurts of seismicity. I asked one of my contacts if scientists might be interested in this- or if this could be interpreted as a change in seismic activity characteristics. Because I feel it is important to note any change in character at a place like Yellowstone. After all, no one knows what the exact symptoms would be in the event of an eruption with a magma chamber from a supervolcano. It's just so darn big, I question if it would behave like other volcanoes when it finally blows its top. We just don't know. Therefore, it would seem important to pay attention to even minor characteristic changes.

I found it interesting they did not comment on that one.

Now particularly curious, is that these recent events have been occurring close to station MCID, which has been exhibiting some interesting signatures lately. I have been told that it is interpreted as wind noise. Although, I am still unclear about that, because of the exact frequency content that is registering for those signatures. It is extremely low, and imo, a lot lower than just about any other wind noise I have experience observing on spectrograms. So to me the jury is still out on that, even though I have not much choice but to accept their assessment.

So when these events started occurring near there, I just have to wonder. Anyways, just posted cause I won't be around as much the next few days, and I need for the observant to pay attention please to what's going on out there. Stations to watch are YPP, YLT, YFT, YMS- as concerning this location of this swarm. BUT, the more serious watchers here, please pay attention to all stations. I am curious if more seismicity shows up in other areas.

Also, note that the highest magnitude here is a 3.0 with several other 2+'s:
0.8 2013/04/16 04:13:14 44.318N 110.692W 11.9 50 km (31 mi) SE of West Yellowstone, MT
0.6 2013/04/16 04:11:45 44.319N 110.683W 4.2 51 km (32 mi) SE of West Yellowstone, MT
1.0 2013/04/16 04:05:56 44.309N 110.841W 9.2 44 km (27 mi) ENE of Warm River, ID
1.4 2013/04/16 04:03:41 44.324N 110.683W 5.1 50 km (31 mi) SE of West Yellowstone, MT
1.5 2013/04/16 04:03:20 44.320N 110.687W 7.5 51 km (31 mi) SE of West Yellowstone, MT
1.7 2013/04/16 03:57:47 44.322N 110.675W 3.0 51 km (32 mi) SE of West Yellowstone, MT
1.1 2013/04/16 03:57:23 44.313N 110.674W 6.5 52 km (32 mi) SE of West Yellowstone, MT
1.3 2013/04/16 03:56:11 44.320N 110.686W 7.8 51 km (31 mi) SE of West Yellowstone, MT
0.7 2013/04/16 03:51:54 44.319N 110.687W 7.4 51 km (31 mi) SE of West Yellowstone, MT
3.0 2013/04/16 03:46:48 44.329N 110.686W 8.3 50 km (31 mi) SE of West Yellowstone, MT
0.8 2013/04/15 13:01:40 44.335N 110.766W 1.9 45 km (28 mi) SE of West Yellowstone, MT
1.2 2013/04/15 13:01:10 44.314N 110.748W 8.0 48 km (30 mi) SE of West Yellowstone, MT
2.4 2013/04/15 11:43:06 44.233N 110.773W 4.2 45 km (28 mi) ENE of Warm River, ID
2.2 2013/04/15 11:41:05 44.260N 110.892W 7.2 38 km (23 mi) ENE of Warm River, ID
2.1 2013/04/15 11:40:59 44.230N 110.755W 1.9 47 km (29 mi) ENE of Warm River, ID
edit on Tue Apr 16th 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I'm so glad you watch this TA.
It's a truly spooky scenario if it gets ugly.
So take no offense when I say I hope this thread stays quiet.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Often wondered...

Volcanoes that "blow their top" are the dangerous ones. The lava flow and ash can be dealt with typically, but when the top blows off THAT causes some nasty effects.

So for super dangerous super volcanoes like this one, that we know will erupt at SOME point, would it not be a good idea to get a few backhoes out there to dig the "cap" off of it? The logic here is: if there's no cap on it, there will be no cap to blow off.

I'm sure this line of thinking has some flaws. Not to mention that no one will want a backhoe anywhere near this National Park. And also the fact that it would take 100 backhoes a number of years working around the clock to fully excavate this massive momma.

Maybe some pressure-relief wells can be bored out? I dunno, thinking out loud...
edit on 16-4-2013 by Heliophant because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Heliophant

I'm guessing the area is already under great pressure, as it has been shown the land over top does move up and down. I'm thinking digging the top open would be akin to bringing a needle to a balloon. It may just pop!

S+F for keeping watch on this beast. Someone needs to do it.

edit on 16-4-2013 by xmaddness because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
For some reason, I think there is something brewing at Yellowstone. I don't think there is going to be a world changing event, just a little eruption shortly. I think there is going to be an increase in seismic activity everywhere shortly, just a feeling I have. No science behind this. Watch the animals, humans especially, they are more agitated than normal these last few years. If a bunch of people decide to take a vacation at the same time away from a place, than you better beware

S&F for keeping us informed of these events. Probably nothing but there is no harm in knowing things. Watch patterns and you are better off than knowing words.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I watch from time to time as well and noticed three on the 8th, 9th, and 11th that were out of character so am glad you posted this and are keeping an eye out. A couple of thoughts...maybe related to Iran quake since it was so big and when I look at the seismograph I also see these "wind" lines. They are vibrational in appearance. I tried to do some research and they are vibrational but definitely always catch my attention. If only wind why would it only show up on one monitor? Especially since these are generally underground from my understanding. Animals running could explain it but again, usually occur at the monitors closest to the lake. Anyway, thank you for watching.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

Now particularly curious, is that these recent events have been occurring close to station MCID, which has been exhibiting some interesting signatures lately.

Long period signatures, similar to the one at Newberry caldera a few days ago?
If so, interesting...I'm going to have to stop being so darn lazy and download some sort waveform/audio processing software so I can look at spectrograms. (Well, at this point I would just be happy to see GEE come back online)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
You're a gentleman and a scholar TrueAmerican. It's nice to know someone is keeping an eye on this kind of thing for us

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Well, I want to be clear: there may be no link whatsoever to what is being seen recently at MCID and these events. Especially if what is at MCID really is noise generated from tree roots in high winds. There was some evidence of high winds during that time, so it really is pointing that way- towards it being wind noise. But I still have that little twinge of doubt because of the frequencies registering, and the fact that I can't seem to get a straight answer out of anyone if tree roots under wind stress could generate enough power to actually propagate .1 to 1 Hz far enough into a seismometer. You don't usually see those frequencies hot on spectrograms in wind noise, is the point. But at MCID, that's what we're seeing. So I am reluctant, but open to that possibility. Heck, it's what the experts say, so who am I to question it.
edit on Tue Apr 16th 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I have oftened wondered where to go if Yellowstone blew its top.

Sadly, I don't think anywhere on the planet would be safe.

Thanks for the thread TA.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Actually, I meant to make a slight announcement about GEE, Oli...

Umm, after contacting the developer when I received a certain message from IRIS, the fate of GEE is unclear. Because IRIS is moving towards IWS, or IRIS Web Services, and they are terminating some protocols that are implemented in GEE. So the developer told me it was a question of time and (no) money whether GEE would be updated to incorporate the new protocols being used by IWS- so that GEE could continue to function. You may see GEE stop working entirely after April.
I know. Sowwy. Bad news.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Heliophant

I would think any method used to release the pressure, naturally or with mans interference, would end in a very bad way.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
From my observation of your threads can it be said that Yellowstone would be a reactive Volcano in a sense. I find that after we have a large shake somewhere in the world there seems to be a shallow uptick in the amount of seismic activity around YellowStone and the surrounding area.

In your opinion does the release of pressure across the globe enhance the probability of an eruption there or does it lesson it because as I said it seems like this Volcano gets a msg across the globe wakes up blows off some steam then goes back to being silent until something across the globe make it feel a need to present itself.

Just a brief observation

SaneThinking

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I always wondered if there is a corilation between the earth quakes in Oklamoma this morning and the one that hit over in the middle east, are we seeing an increase in earth quakes due to the Solar flare activity? Are there other signs to warn us about a pending quake?

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaneThinking
From my observation of your threads can it be said that Yellowstone would be a reactive Volcano in a sense. I find that after we have a large shake somewhere in the world there seems to be a shallow uptick in the amount of seismic activity around YellowStone and the surrounding area.

In your opinion does the release of pressure across the globe enhance the probability of an eruption there or does it lesson it because as I said it seems like this Volcano gets a msg across the globe wakes up blows off some steam then goes back to being silent until something across the globe make it feel a need to present itself.

Just a brief observation

SaneThinking

The first part of the swarm started yesterday, BEFORE the 7.8 hit. And believe me, I watched YS very carefully for any triggering, and there was none- and I can say that with 99% high confidence.

So not sure trying to associate the two, in this case, would be a very good idea- unless you had evidence, that is. I might also point out that scientists back in 1959 were looking for triggering too when the 7.5 hit Hebgen Lake, and also back in 1976(?) when the 6+ hit. No triggering occurred. The one time that I know of when triggering is suspected is when the Denali quake hit Alaska- and Yellowstone appeared to react with seismicity. But that is not conclusive. Just appears that way. Could have been a coincidence- and given there are swarms all the time at YS, that is very possible it was. K, have fun folks, and watch the beast please- I'm out till later tonight.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Thank you for your updates.
I always appreciate your time and research into the subject.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

S&F for the post, TrueAmerican. Thank you for keeping us informed. Yellowstone has been jiggling a bit this week. Hopefully the beast settles back down.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heliophant
Often wondered...

Volcanoes that "blow their top" are the dangerous ones. The lava flow and ash can be dealt with typically, but when the top blows off THAT causes some nasty effects.

So for super dangerous super volcanoes like this one, that we know will erupt at SOME point, would it not be a good idea to get a few backhoes out there to dig the "cap" off of it? The logic here is: if there's no cap on it, there will be no cap to blow off.

I'm sure this line of thinking has some flaws. Not to mention that no one will want a backhoe anywhere near this National Park. And also the fact that it would take 100 backhoes a number of years working around the clock to fully excavate this massive momma.

Maybe some pressure-relief wells can be bored out? I dunno, thinking out loud...
edit on 16-4-2013 by Heliophant because: (no reason given)

Go tick a nail in a balloon. What happens? Exploded!! Wow no way.

Still want to drill into a magma chamber under extreme pressure?

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hijinx
Still want to drill into a magma chamber under extreme pressure?

...Kinda

Thx for the off-topic answers.
edit on 16-4-2013 by Heliophant because: 2nd line

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I studied Yellowstone for a while and it's said the plate moves over the top of the caldera and when it gets far enough over to seal the pressure builds making the plate rise above the caldera till it splits and explodes again, apparently there is evidence of Yellowstone blowing 3 times in earth history as the previous caldera's are marked on the plate itself

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join