It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch Your Mouth - Man gets Fined and 3 1/2 Years for Making Threats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Be very careful of what you say and whom you say it to. Making false threats while angry could lead to some severe jail time.

Man Sentenced to Nearly Four Years for Bomb Threats Made Aboard Amtrak Train

A man unhappy with the food service on Amtrak was sentenced to nearly four years in prison for making calls from his cell phone saying there was a bomb on the train he was riding.
"I apologize for the actions that I did and I'm sorry," Michael Conwill, 35, of Anchorage, Alaska, told U.S. District Judge Barbara Crabb before she sentenced him Tuesday. He was also ordered to pay more than $28,000 to Amtrak to cover its costs.

Conwill had pleaded guilty in August to making the threats July 6, saying he was angry at being served food that contained hot peppers. He said they caused an allergic reaction.

The judge sentenced Conwill to three years and 10 months in prison - the upper limit under sentencing guidelines - for what she called a "stupid, stupid decision."

The five calls came as the train, en route from Seattle, rolled through Sauk and Juneau counties. It was stopped in Portage and passengers were taken to a school for several hours while the train was searched. No bombs were found.

Conwill was arrested when the train arrived in Chicago, after the FBI traced the calls to his cell phone, authorities said.

Defense attorney Joseph Sommers had asked that Conwill receive a sentence at the lower end of federal guidelines, which range from 37 to 46 months.

"It's a heck of a lot to pay for a crime that was only a threat," he said.

The judge ordered Conwill to undergo a mental health evaluation in prison and receive counseling during three years of supervised release after his prison term.

I'm not sure if the sentence fits the crime, yeah he was wrong, and should have to pay the fines for the costs incurred, but 3 1/2 years seem like a long time.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I'm with you WW...

he should have to pay the fines and costs of Amtrak.. but over 3 years in prison...

I would think that he might learn his lesson on a 6 month - 1 year sentance...

I guess the Gvmt, is wanting to make a statement that this will not be tolerated.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Hell ya this stuff won't be tolerated. Think of all the people who were delayed. All the time spent to look for a bomb. I think this dumb ass got exactly what he deserved. I take the train alot and if I was on that train...I would have been pissed. You have to be a VERY stupid individual to be calling in bomb threats these days, especially on a train. The only worse thing would be on a plane. The government doesn't want to deal with dumbasses making silly threats when it has to worry about the real thing. He got his just rewards IMO.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
edit: Sorry double post

[edit on 3-11-2004 by MacMerdin]

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Making a bomb threat is a serious offense and such behavior is intolerable. He should serve 3.5 years for the crime and another 3.5 for being stupid enough to make the call from his cell phone.

[edit on 04/11/3 by GradyPhilpott]

top topics

join