US military helicopter has reportedly crashed near the North Korean border

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Obviously a stock photo for the story...

The cause of the crash was not immediately clear but the incident took place during South Korea-US joint military exercises.

There is a reason their nickname is the "Crash Hawk"....

This is ridiculous.

I work with H60s. Crashes are not typical. We don't know what the cause of the crash was. Whether the pilots were exceeding operational limitations, unseen obstacle, or a FOD incident. Not to mention potential enemy action which at this point seems unlikely.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I think this has happened before. When `mistakes` like this happen it is usual to tell the DPRK what happened and the plan to resolve the problem. I have never seen the north over react to things like this. The DPRK usually takes a wait and see stance when a foreign military vehicle `crashes` or gets stuck in or near the border. The DPRK never has such issues with it`s military. It is always the Americans who make such `mistakes` so it makes me wonder how many of these little incidents are `mistakes` or screws ups allowed to happen on purpose in order to provoke the north to respond unwisely.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Patriotsrevenge
reply to post by Invariance

For all you nooobs out there. EMP will never down any U.S. Military anything unless the bomb goes through the front _

EMP is and has always been a result of nuclear detonation, we learned that fact the hard way back after WW2. Everything since has been hardened against it so NO , EMP will stop anything our country uses from running.

Currently the U.S. is the only one that I know of to experiment with a device that only causes an EMP. Not that China and Russia haven't but they would know better than to use it against our military because it wont have any effect. What they are good at is turning off the power in third world cities like Baghdad.

Before you treat people so rudely, perhaps you should educate yourself in the science of electromagnetic pulses so you stop making yourself look like such a moron. Here, try one for yourself.

ELECTRO MAGNETIC PULSE

Here's a handy How Stuff Works video, there doesn't have to be a flash or bang. But the device in that video just fried a helicopter passing through the field.

How about reading this well written article at Army Technology.com

the technology has now been refined to such an extent that targeted weaponry has now come to the fore. Promising to knock out enemy technology while saving that of nearby hospitals or friendly troops, the ability to direct EMPs, as demonstrated by devices like Boeing's CHAMP, holds the potential to revolutionise modern warfare.

I guess we "noobs" are not so far out there after all... Deny Ignorance

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Not sure if this has been posted or not, but that wreckage posted on page one is NOT a UH-60 Blackhawk. Look at the engine nacelles. To me this looks Soviet.

Here is the original pic:

And here is a comparison pic: (perhaps sombody could embed it for me?)

As an aside, I thought it was funny that the google image search I lifted this picture from had this to say:
"Barack Obama - Zionist Wolf in Sheep's Clothing". Not that it states my opinion, just that I found it entertaining considering what it could relate to.

EDIT: It's definitely a Mi-35

edit on 16-4-2013 by rockn82 because: Embed Pic
edit on 16-4-2013 by rockn82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeLeu
reply to post by anton74

Yes, your right the crashed chopper in the pic is a MI-17.
Do you know if NK have Russian helicopters?
edit on 16-4-2013 by LeLeu because: (no reason given)

Even the US has 17s... the UN also has 17s.

For NK... well... all their choppers are russian... so...

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by rockn82

No... its a 17. The "35" or the 24 whatever you want to call it, is a beast and its an attack helicopter - it cant carry a crew of 15 or 13 or whatever.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Not sure if this has been pointed out yet, but that's the wrong picture.

The bird in question was a CH-53E Sea Stallion, with 21 on board.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Yep yep. There are no winglet wreckages in the pic but you can see some struts. So you're right.

However it still begs the question of why call it a US helicopter and report it crashed near (or in) the DMZ. Unless the pic is absolutely unrelated and is just being included.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by rockn82

Actually, like zaph pointed out... Its the wrong picture. The picture he posted is the right one. A ch-53.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Chalk it up to another example of media ignorance.

A CH53 is the same as an H60 these days.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

CH-53, H-60, they're both helicopters. At least they got that part right (which is a lot more than I've come to expect from the media lately).

There was one article where a plane crashed (I forget what type it was, but it was a jet transport), and they put a picture of a C-130 in the article.
edit on 4/16/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Going to assume this was a pilot/mechanical error at this point. Surly, if it were shot at we would be hearing that by now. Didn't know these things were nicknamed the crash hawk, thanks to members in-the-know for pointing that out.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Well you can imagine my concern for the crew either way.

But more so if it were an H60 crew as I have many friends who are H60 crewchiefs in SK. Many of which I went to AIT with.

It's this kind of media ignorance that makes me so distrustful of them.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by PutAQuarterIn

Those members don't know a damned thing.

Take it from this member who works in Army aviation and flies in an H60 every day.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Oh yeah, I know the feeling. We lost an HH-53 out of Hickam during a rescue attempt out at sea, and had several friends that flew them. We were on pins and needles for a couple hours (so was the entire base).

From what I've heard, 15 have been released from the hospital, and the remaining 6 are in stable condition with non-life threatening injuries.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Thank the sky gods for that.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Oh, I know they aren't anymore, but I remember when they were. They're much better now than they used to be. I remember in the early days when they had to restrict them from flying near radio towers, because the tower would interfere with the flight controls (led to a couple crashes).

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

It was from the 31st MEU based in Okinawa. 16 and 5 was the breakdown on board.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

These days we have upgraded L and M model hawks as you know. And they have a pretty damned good record in flight safety.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join