It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

6 Sneaky Ways the Christian Right Foists Its Biblical Agenda on America

page: 9
16
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Cancerwarrior
 


Thanks for tracking that down -- I did look for more info, but just came back with a bunch of social media stuff.

However, that article sounds more like spin than clarification, in an effort to reduce a bit of the flak that they're getting for their actions. They're accusing the priest of discrimination, for sticking with church teaching (which he'd get in a lot of trouble for not upholding,) and asking the university to apply their "anti-discrimination standards" to him. In other words, threaten him to stop teaching, or be forced to leave for violating their standards.

In addition, this: "Legacy said he has all of the same rights and responsibilities afforded a Catholic priest" is patently false -- the Old Catholic Church in the United States is not associated with the Roman Catholic Church, and is not in communion, so he has as many of the "same rights and responsibilities afforded a Catholic priest" as a Baptist or Pentecostal minister has.




posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes
 


We meet again.

\\1) What they want: A rollback on environmental protections. This is but one of many ways the religious right has merged its interests with that of corporate America.\\

There is no global warming by humans that is going to destroy the earth.
It's the sun that is heating up and then it cools. Do you know about the Ice Ages?
How about the hacked emails from Climate Scientists where it showed they were fudging the numbers?

There is smog from vehicles and we should stop that and we should keep the waters and ground clean. That's just being responsible.
You do know that atheistic communist China does not want environmental protections do you? Why don't you mention them? Oh, you must be prejudice against Christians from the many posts you post.

\\2) What they want: For the government to take money from the public school system and give it to private schools in the form of vouchers. They've had remarkable success at this by hijacking the larger, secular debate over education.\\

Yes, that is what we want because the Public Schools are a failing fact!!!
Even Obama has his kids in a private school.
Don't you also know that home schooled kids are smarter the public schooled kids?

\\3) What they want: No Equal Rights Amendment. While this battle to prevent the Constitution from being amended to give women equal rights, which the right won, was mostly fought in the late '70s and early '80s, Christian right-controlled legislatures occasionally take time to vote against it today.\\

The Bill of Rights already gives equal rights to everyone. Amendment 14, Section 1, "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."


\\4) What they want: A ban on gay marriage. Often cast as "protecting" traditional marriage.\\

There is no such thing as gay marriage. Gay means happy. We do want a ban on homosexual marriage because it is not in the interest of the state.
Gay Marriage: Even Liberals Know It's Bad
townhall.com...

\\5) What they want: To end the teaching of evolution in schools. This battle has been going on since at least the 1920s, and every time it comes around, the religious right gets a little better at hiding its religious motivations behind secularist claims.\\

That is correct because it is only a "theory". Why should students be forced to learn a theory that they might no agree with?

\\6) What they want: To restrict access to abortion and contraception. Everyone knows the religious right has it out for abortion rights, but recently attacks on contraception access have also been increasing.\\

We want to restrict abortion as birth control. We know that a fetus in the Fallopian tube can kill both the mother and fetus, etc... There's nothing wrong with saving the mother's life in those type of situations. Women have even gave their lives to save their baby.

People should be paying for their own contraception and not getting it free on tax payer dollars.



posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by texastig
 


So, you are one of the people referenced in the OP article, then.
We will not agree, ever.
Thanks for posting, though. Your viewpoint is duly noted.



posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen
 


Here is two more I found


www.patheos.com...

www.gwhatchet.com...




During his freshman and sophomore years, Legacy spent nearly all his time outside of classes at the Newman Center, and regularly served the altar during mass. When Legacy called Shaffer in the middle of the night, he knew his spiritual adviser would answer. But when Shaffer found out that Legacy was in a relationship with another male student, and he and Bergen were both running for leadership positions in Allied in Pride, they were shoved out.

Legacy, then a sophomore, said he remembers Shaffer calling him wicked and faithless for being gay, and said it destroyed his “sense of self.” “To have my faith leader view me that way, just because of one piece of the way that God made me, and to think that one part is responsible for the destruction of my human dignity, it just didn't, I can’t even begin to describe the mental conflict that it creates,” Legacy said.

Legacy, who was on the path to Catholic priesthood, said Shaffer’s counseling and teachings, in which he indicated that Legacy was “intrinsically disordered” because he was gay, set him on an emotional rollercoaster for months. One day, he would practice celibacy, and the next day, he denounced faith. He remembers at one point ripping the Vatican Flag down from over his bed and throwing his cross across his room. “At the time, I thought it was a battle for my soul,” Legacy said, stuttering, losing words to continue. And while Legacy said he is now more comfortable with both his sexuality and his religion, and has since become an ordained priest in the Old Catholic Church in October, he said he doesn’t want anyone else seeking Shaffer’s counseling to feel that same torment.


Still, the priest has alot of support on campus and one student started a support website for him.

Sounds to me like the guy confided in the priest that he was gay and the priest told him homosexuality is immoral and to be celibate your whole life and all the stuff a normal catholic priest would say.

And if this guy was studying to be a priest, he should have known how he would have reacted. But I guess tha'ts the reason he wanted to be ordained in this other catholic church so he can be the counselor for the gay folks on campus.



posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by colbe
 


Colbe,

This thread isn't about gay marriage, the Op's opinion on it, your opinion or the church's opinion. It's about right wing Christians using "sneaky" methods to get their religious agendas enacted as law.

Do you think that the United States should enact laws according to religious doctrine?


Why didn't you and another comment and protest to wildtimes when she gave her opinion on marriage? Her opinion of you do not need Sacramental marriage before God, civil is all that matters.

just asking,



posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by colbe
 



Why didn't you and another comment and protest to wildtimes when she gave her opinion on marriage?

I SO hope that they do answer your question, colbe.



posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by texastig
 

No. Okay, just now, I tried twice to edit my earlier post, and got the 'request timed out please try again' instantaneous 408.

Apparently we can only sporadically post now - and it appears that some people are having a harder time than others.
What I said in the 'hijacked' edit was that I understand both points of view very well, and it is NOT about vilifying all Christians.



posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by texastig
reply to post by wildtimes
 


We meet again.

1) What they want: A rollback on environmental protections. This is but one of many ways the religious right has merged its interests with that of corporate America.

There is no global warming by humans that is going to destroy the earth.
It's the sun that is heating up and then it cools. Do you know about the Ice Ages?
How about the hacked emails from Climate Scientists where it showed they were fudging the numbers?

There is smog from vehicles and we should stop that and we should keep the waters and ground clean. That's just being responsible.
You do know that atheistic communist China does not want environmental protections do you? Why don't you mention them? Oh, you must be prejudice against Christians from the many posts you post.


There is alot more going on with environmental protection than just people driving their cars on this planet. China has no EPA there because it is the manufacturing hub of much of the world and its economy thrives on having cheap labor and practically nonexistent environmental laws for manufacturing centers to pollute the land, air and water with no consequences. Not because they are atheistic or whatever.


Originally posted by texastig
2) What they want: For the government to take money from the public school system and give it to private schools in the form of vouchers. They've had remarkable success at this by hijacking the larger, secular debate over education.

Yes, that is what we want because the Public Schools are a failing fact!!!
Even Obama has his kids in a private school.


I went to public school and private school, and even home school! There is no fundamental or curriculum difference between the private and public schools. Except I had alot more Jesus shoved down my throat in private school.


Originally posted by texastig
4) What they want: A ban on gay marriage. Often cast as "protecting" traditional marriage.

There is no such thing as gay marriage. Gay means happy. We do want a ban on homosexual marriage because it is not in the interest of the state.


Please tell me how homosexual people getting married is going to negatively affect your marriage, job, income, morality, or any aspect of your life? Homosexual people already live together like they are married, so how is them having a piece of paper making it legal going to affect you at all? And gay marriage does exist, I have been happily married for almost 12 years now.


Originally posted by texastig
5) What they want: To end the teaching of evolution in schools. This battle has been going on since at least the 1920s, and every time it comes around, the religious right gets a little better at hiding its religious motivations behind secularist claims.

That is correct because it is only a "theory". Why should students be forced to learn a theory that they might no agree with?


Oh boy.....I hate to break it to you friend, but evolution is a proven fact thanks to the mapping of the genome. Humans and animals and everything have a single monocellular ancestor in common. I would post you some links but there are so many a quick google search for you should suffice.



edit on 17-4-2013 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-4-2013 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-4-2013 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by colbe
 





Why didn't you and another comment and protest to wildtimes when she gave her opinion on marriage? Her opinion of you do not need Sacramental marriage before God, civil is all that matters. just asking,


Because, Wildtimes stated that her comment was an opinion and it was on topic. Your "opinion" was stated as fact, not opinion, and, it was off topic.

You're still not on topic and turning the conversation to your need to to talk about your topic.

Do you think that your brand of religious doctrine should be enacted into secular law? For example, do you think that gay marriage should be illegal in the US, or do you think that it's enough for the church to decry it as sin, as is any fornication according to your doctrine, as long as the church's rights are protected, and not worry about legalities?



posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

reply to post by texastig
 

No. Okay, just now, I tried twice to edit my earlier post, and got the 'request timed out please try again' instantaneous 408.

Apparently we can only sporadically post now - and it appears that some people are having a harder time than others.
What I said in the 'hijacked' edit was that I understand both points of view very well, and it is NOT about vilifying all Christians.


I'm having that problem too. Here's what works for me. First, copy your text (just in case) and then hit "Post" . When the error message appears, hit the "Refresh button." That takes me to a "Resubmission" text box. I hit "Okay", and my post goes through!

Wellah!


I fear ATS may be under attack again.

edit on 17-4-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

Originally posted by wildtimes

reply to post by texastig
 

No. Okay, just now, I tried twice to edit my earlier post, and got the 'request timed out please try again' instantaneous 408.

Apparently we can only sporadically post now - and it appears that some people are having a harder time than others.
What I said in the 'hijacked' edit was that I understand both points of view very well, and it is NOT about vilifying all Christians.


I'm having that problem too. Here's what works for me. First, copy your text (just in case) and then hit "Post" . When the error message appears, hit the "Refresh button." That takes me to a "Resubmission" text box. I hit "Okay", and my post goes through!

I just click the "Back" button and, on the Mac, the page restores with the text that I entered and I can submit it again.

Definitely
on copying long text before submitting, though! Sucks to write the world's greatest reply (as all of mine are, of course, lol,) and then lose it to a server error!



posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Cancerwarrior
 


That article is basically useless. All they do is state that they haven't seen a lot YET. They even state, "mostly", meaning there would be some cases.

I have actually heard a lot of people talk about tattoos being something one should avoid. The very few church people I know that have them have heard complaints as well. However, one is a moral issue, and one is not. Apples and oranges. There are New Testament references to homosexuality being a sin (among other similar sins), and much of Leviticus is laws for the Hebrew people, specifically.

One can legally leave their estate to anyone they choose; a will isn't complicated. Laws allowing a person to specify who could visit them in the hospital would be fine, and who would be able to make a medical decision. A living will handles all of that.

Do you really not see an issue with telling Christian students they can't pray in class, and allowing Muslims students, but not Christian ones, to leave the class several times a day to pray? I was in a class where the entire class wanted to say a prayer for Reagan when he was shot, and was told we were not allowed to do so. Yet Muslims can leave class multiple times, and gather for prayer daily? That's not equal treatment.

If a parent chooses to NOT discuss sex with their kids till a later time, that is THEIR choice. It's THEIR kids. Mine know as much as they want to, which is a pretty good rule of thumb.

People who are not homosexual have restrictions on whom they can marry. There are very sensible reasons to place restrictions on marriage. Stable, traditional families are the primary building block of a stable society. Anything that undermines or weakens such a family unit threatens society. This includes not just homosexuality, but also promiscuous behavior, adultery, rampant divorce rates, etc. Those issues are discussed FAR more often among Christians than is homosexuality.

Bullies come in all sorts of packages, and all sorts of people are bullied. Pretending it's mostly against homosexuals is simply ridiculous. More often than not, it's the shy, quiet kid, that's maybe smaller, that is targeted, and nothing about it has anything to do with sexual choices. Young children, unless taught to do so, do not even actually THINK about sex. Thus, bullying wouldn't be based on that. Plus, there ARE cases of homosexuals targeting people and places, just like for anyone else. This assumption that they are somehow above reproach is simply silly.

Plus, you ignore the point I already made that Christians know they have sinned, just like anyone else.



posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes
 

Wow you are really frustrating.

You have made some lengthy and intelligent-sounding posts, and you write well, but you are FAILING to see the main point:

These 6 things, that you keep saying are "Comminist" are the very things that the Christian Right-wing WANT.

It appears that you are aligned with:

big business interests as opposed to responsible stewardship of this planet (which belongs to the collective and that includes PLANTS and ANIMALS and YOU),

having 'control' of how children are taught in public schools from an early age (so you can indoctrinate them the way YOU want to, and shield them from exposure to diversity, science and modern understanding of history and FREE THINKING - did you go to, or send your children to Jesus Camp?)

refusing to acknowledge or accept that some people want to marry another person they love that YOU don't approve of, so YOU want to prevent them from doing so

.....and on and on.

I'm going to stop right there, because the 6 points are obvious.

What you are absolutely missing is that the 6 things, which you call Communist - are presented as the Christian Far-Right Coalition's agenda. THEY are wanting to impose those 6 things, and force people to accept them and behave in a "religious" manner that those people do not - and CAN NOT agree with!



edit on 17-4-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)


No, I stated that the things the article claims Christians want are basically things people are concerned with because the communists want the opposite. That has been stated clearly more than once.

I have no issues with being responsible stewards of the planet, but I do have issues with groups that want to pretend to be concerned with such things using them to make people afraid, control people and businesses, take possession of private property, etc. Also, when people scream and yell about a mostly responsible nation not doing enough, and other nations that are REAL offenders get a free pass, it's clear the whole business is not really about protecting the environment.

I don't think there should BE public schools, and an totally against any organization using such to manipulate children..If you can't get that from my posts, the problem is with you. I stated that PARENTS should have the final say in the education of their children, NOT the state, NOT some teachers' union, NOT some lobbying group.

You can see my previous post for an explanation of why marriage should be protected.

The only thing obvious in that article is a very clear anti-Christian bias, with the writer pretending that people wanting what is good and right is somehow some sort of evil agenda. It's bull. Anyone with two eyes and a brain knows what side is pushing an agenda.

If you can't get it yet, you are on your own, because this thread doesn't deserve the amount of attention it's already had, and it won't get another response from me.



posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes
reply to post by Cancerwarrior
 


That article is basically useless. All they do is state that they haven't seen a lot YET. They even state, "mostly", meaning there would be some cases.


Which article are you referring to?


Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes
I have actually heard a lot of people talk about tattoos being something one should avoid. The very few church people I know that have them have heard complaints as well. However, one is a moral issue, and one is not. Apples and oranges. There are New Testament references to homosexuality being a sin (among other similar sins), and much of Leviticus is laws for the Hebrew people, specifically.


The only reason homosexuality is immoral is because the bible states it is right? Well it says the same immorality exists for tattoos, among many other things so in essence it is the same issue just not one that is convenient for most Christians to harp on about. And it sounds like you are saying that the Old testament is just for Jews?


Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes
One can legally leave their estate to anyone they choose; a will isn't complicated. Laws allowing a person to specify who could visit them in the hospital would be fine, and who would be able to make a medical decision. A living will handles all of that.


What fella in his mid 30's expects to drop dead? Nobody expects to die at that age, I can personally attest to that after the past year that I've been through. His partner did not get any of his belongings even though they had been together 15+ years only because he did not have that majic piece of paper.


Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes
Do you really not see an issue with telling Christian students they can't pray in class, and allowing Muslims students, but not Christian ones, to leave the class several times a day to pray? I was in a class where the entire class wanted to say a prayer for Reagan when he was shot, and was told we were not allowed to do so. Yet Muslims can leave class multiple times, and gather for prayer daily? That's not equal treatment.


Please show me some articles where muslim kids can pray in school and the christians can't. And like I said before, how is anyone going to know if you are praying or not?


Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes
If a parent chooses to NOT discuss sex with their kids till a later time, that is THEIR choice. It's THEIR kids. Mine know as much as they want to, which is a pretty good rule of thumb.


Thing is though, many parents are too chicken to talk to their kids about such things and WANT the schools to teach their kids things like sex ed. Besides, I fail to see how defining what homosexuality is to a bunch of students is going to make anyone gay.


Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes
People who are not homosexual have restrictions on whom they can marry. There are very sensible reasons to place restrictions on marriage. Stable, traditional families are the primary building block of a stable society. Anything that undermines or weakens such a family unit threatens society. This includes not just homosexuality, but also promiscuous behavior, adultery, rampant divorce rates, etc. Those issues are discussed FAR more often among Christians than is homosexuality.


You still cannot name one thing that will be negatively impacted by gay people getting married to your personal marriage, property, morality, spirituality, political views, income job, or any aspect of your life.


Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes
Plus, you ignore the point I already made that Christians know they have sinned, just like anyone else.


I just consider it totally irrelevant to this thread. Just like all the communist nonsense you keep spouting off about.
edit on 17-4-2013 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

reply to post by texastig
 

No. Okay, just now, I tried twice to edit my earlier post, and got the 'request timed out please try again' instantaneous 408.

Apparently we can only sporadically post now - and it appears that some people are having a harder time than others.
What I said in the 'hijacked' edit was that I understand both points of view very well, and it is NOT about vilifying all Christians.


Noob.


edit on 17-4-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by wildtimes

reply to post by texastig
 

No. Okay, just now, I tried twice to edit my earlier post, and got the 'request timed out please try again' instantaneous 408.

Apparently we can only sporadically post now - and it appears that some people are having a harder time than others.
What I said in the 'hijacked' edit was that I understand both points of view very well, and it is NOT about vilifying all Christians.


Hit the 'refesh' tab and the window presented as OK? to you. You are not being highjacked (important content post rarified). This has been going on for 5 hours or more (NO PARANOIA). Some glitch? Got a "request timed out" 15 seconds into posting "VERY FUNNY" to ATS. I have followed every post with this protocal; and its been posted.
edit on 18-4-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by colbe
 





Why didn't you and another comment and protest to wildtimes when she gave her opinion on marriage? Her opinion of you do not need Sacramental marriage before God, civil is all that matters. just asking,


Because, Wildtimes stated that her comment was an opinion and it was on topic. Your "opinion" was stated as fact, not opinion, and, it was off topic.

You're still not on topic and turning the conversation to your need to to talk about your topic.

Do you think that your brand of religious doctrine should be enacted into secular law? For example, do you think that gay marriage should be illegal in the US, or do you think that it's enough for the church to decry it as sin, as is any fornication according to your doctrine, as long as the church's rights are protected, and not worry about legalities?



windword, Jesus desires you find Him, pray, speak to Him.

I posted a Christian belief that disagrees with wildtime's belief, you call opinion. And who says everything posted in a discussion forum has to be opinion? You didn't like what I posted. Here is my opinion, it is awful to attack CHRISTians.


"The desire for God is written in the human heart, because man is created by God and for God; and God never ceases to draw man to himself. Only in God will he find the truth and happiness he never stops searching for:

The dignity of man rests above all on the fact that he is called to communion with God. This invitation to converse with God is addressed to man as soon as he comes into being. For if man exists it is because God has created him through love, and through love continues to hold him in existence. He cannot live fully according to truth unless he freely acknowledges that love and entrusts himself to his creator."...


Catechism of the Catholic Church Paragraph #27

www.scborromeo.org...



posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by colbe
 


Colbe,

This thread isn't about gay marriage, the Op's opinion on it, your opinion or the church's opinion. It's about right wing Christians using "sneaky" methods to get their religious agendas enacted as law.

Do you think that the United States should enact laws according to religious doctrine?


The Constitution (not a declaration more a demand) OF LAWS was written by and agreed to by a majority of FreeMasons. Were they religious, oh I suppose so SINCE their TENENTS, GOALS and achievements in degree attainment are not based upon whimsical cursory pattycake games but a TOTAL COMPLETE understanding/knowledge of THE BIBLE, lets start with the Book of JOB and his trials. We can call in the alternate affiliations (religious) Mennonite, Anglican Episcopal types; but probably are just suspicious unknowns.
edit on 18-4-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by colbe
 



Originally posted by colbe
...Here is my opinion, it is awful to attack CHRISTians.


Thank you for your opinion Colbe, I appreciate it. Your unique words give a much greater insight into how you think than some copied paragraphs from other authors books, though it does imply that Christians are more important to you than others.

My opinion is it is awful to attack any individual, regardless of religion, race, sexual orientation, age, etc. However, I don't have a problem with attacking "ideals" (like religion or political stances)... as I have yet to come across one that is actually ideal.

The OP article was highlighting that certain extremist elements of Christianity are pushing a political agenda in the guise of secularism, often using corrupt politics and sneaky tactics (like taking large sums of money from corporations for their political support), not attack all Christians directly.

The over arching theme that I get from the article is that Church and State are supposed to be separate, but this article is showing how the extreme right is trying to blur this distinction.

Cheers
edit on 18-4-2013 by puzzlesphere because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by puzzlesphere
The OP article was highlighting that certain extremist elements of Christianity are pushing a political agenda in the guise of secularism, often using corrupt politics and sneaky tactics (like taking large sums of money from corporations for their political support)

Was it "sneaky" of the pro-same sex marriage people in Minnesota to take large sums of money from corporations to finance their political campaign that resulted in the failure of the "Marriage" amendment to the state constitution?



new topics

top topics



 
16
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

log in

join