It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 Sneaky Ways the Christian Right Foists Its Biblical Agenda on America

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by vethumanbeing

Wow.

I wish you would take the opportunity to separate what I said from what you said here in an accurate 'BBC' way.

It's all jumbled up now.

Okay, you think the two are perfectly balanced. Correct?

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by sacgamer25

I believe the Federal Dept. of Education needs to be abolished.

Of course you do. You're right in step with the agenda of the Christian right. Christians fundamentalists can't stand the fact that public schools aren't teaching the Bible!

Abolish the U.S. Department of Education?

Christian schools and a strong home schooling movement are the foundations of dominionism. "Until the vast majority of Christians pull their children out of the public schools," writes Gary North, "there will be no possibility of creating a theocratic republic."

From journalist Frederick Clarkson:

Among the top Reconstructionists in education politics is Robert Thoburn of Fairfax Christian School in Fairfax, Virginia. Thoburn advocates that Christians run for school board, while keeping their own children out of public schools."Your goal" (once on the board), he declares, "must be to sink the ship."

The Texas Republican Party Platform, 2004, a document that reflects the values of the Bush administration, has no use for the U.S. Department of Education:

We call for the abolition of the U.S. Department of Education and the prohibition of the transfer of any of its functions to any other federal agency.

Rev. Jerry Falwell wrote: "I hope to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we don't have public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them." (America Can Be Saved!, Sword of the Lord Publishers, Murfreesboro, Tenn. 1979, p. 52-53.)

Rob Boston sums up the goals of education in Church and State, 2002 writing about the best selling author, the Reverend Tim LaHaye:

In LaHaye's perfect world, voucher subsidies for private religious education are freely available. Public schools are turned into centers for fundamentalist indoctrination with daily prayer, promotion of the Ten Commandments and creationism firmly ensconced. The Department of Education has been abolished, and teenagers are given no sex education at school. Instead, children are taught revisionist history about how the United States was founded to be a "Christian nation."
theocracywatch.org...

More........

Religion in the Classroom A fundraising letter from American's United for Separation of Church and State states:

"Religious Right leaders have recently launched a renewed campaign to bring religion into the classroom." In Michigan, the Frankenmuth School District recently considered adding to their curriculum a Bible course created by a fundamentalist Christian group that says its goal is to "expose the kids to the biblical Christian worldview." In Kentucky, Bullitt County officials planned to allow preachers to join public schoolchildren for lunch. In Texas, a school official at Morningside Elementary spelled out how students should pray during the daily moments of silence. In Pennsylvania, the Dover Area Schools considered approving science textbooks that promote creationism, and children in several grades at Tamaqua Elementary were given a "cut-and-paste" assignment which featured the biblical story of Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus fleeing to Egypt and a passage reading, "A savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord."

Evolution The battle to teach evolution has been going on since the Scopes "monkey trial." In 1986 the State of Louisiana passed a law requiring creationism be given equal time with evolution. The Balanced Treatment Act , 1986, was overturned in the courts with Justice Scalia writing the dissenting opinion.

Intelligent Design From Church and State:

While supporters of church-state separation frequently consider groups such as the Christian Coalition and Family Research Council their principal adversaries, the Discovery Institute has quietly positioned itself as the most effective and politically savvy group pushing a religious agenda in America's public school science classes. Founded in 1991 by former Reagan administration official Bruce Chapman, the Seattle-based Institute has an operating budget of over $2 million.

"Intelligent design" creationism has become such a central feature of the organization's work that it created a separate division, the Center for the Renewal of Science and Culture, to devote all of its time to that cause. The Institute enthusiastically endorses what law professor and ID champion Philip Johnson calls the "wedge" strategy. (See "Insidious Design," page 8.) The plan is straightforward: use intelligent design as a wedge to undermine evolution with scientific-sounding arguments and thereby advance a conservative religious-political agenda.

edit on 15-4-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by vethumanbeing

Wow.I wish you would take the opportunity to separate what I said from what you said here in an accurate 'BBC' way.It's all jumbled up now.Okay, you think the two are perfectly balanced. Correct?

I quote you; what is the problem, just as I just did. separation of meaning just floating around as WORDS into sentences. The two extremes of Elephant and Donkey would describe perfectly the main tenents of the Libertarian Party, within that cuckhold would nuetralize each other, come to a majority conclusion; withhold the American Constitution in a purer form than now presently held by divided houses. This is not a judicial triampart parlament based system.
edit on 15-4-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

Of course you do. You're right in step with the agenda of the Christian right. Christians fundamentalists can't stand the fact that public schools aren't teaching the Bible!

That is a typical knee-jerk radical left reaction... anyone who thinks that the Federal government shouldn't be dictating education standards must be a "Christian fundamentalist".

Well, I'm a non-fundamentalist (both NuT and WT will attest to that) and I think that the Federal government should not be dictating educational standards.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen
reply to post by windword

But the Christian Coalition does have an agenda and their presence has an effect on US politics.

Who cares?

Do you think that they should be disallowed to vote, simply because they are the "Christian Coalition"?

Seriously, what is wrong with people voting as their conscience directs them to do so?

I think that their agenda, their funding and who profits from their rhetoric needs to be exposed. I doubt that most of the politicians that they have in their pockets have a conscience.

War on Secular Society "We need to find ways to win the war" Karl Rove, President Bush's chief political strategist, and deputy chief of staff told a gathering of the Family Research Council in March, 2002. The Family Research Council is one of the most powerful lobbying organizations of the theocratic right today. Rove wasn't talking about the war on terrorism. He was talking about the war on secular society.

Paul Weyrich said in a talk: "The real enemy is the secular humanist mindset which seeks to destroy everything that is good in this society." Pat Robertson, founder of the Christian Coalition, explained the nature of the war on secularism in 1991 at a Christian Coalition Road to Victory gathering: "It's going to be a spiritual battle. There will be Satanic forces.... We are not going to be coming up just against human beings, to beat them in elections. We're going to be coming up against spiritual warfare."

Robertson named his enemies in a 1992 newsletter, Pat Robertson Perspective. The list includes, among others, the National Organization for Women, the National Education Association, the National Council of Churches, the Gay-Lesbian Caucus, as well as People for the American Way, and Americans United for a Separation of Church and State. They are lumped together as the "Radical Left."

"The strategy against the American Radical Left should be the same as General Douglas MacArthur employed against the Japanese in the Pacific... Bypass their strongholds, then surround them, isolate them, bombard them, then blast the individuals out of their power bunkers with hand-to-hand combat. The battle for Iwo Jima was not pleasant, but our troops won it. The battle to regain the soul of America won't be pleasant either, but we will win it." (from the book, Pat Robertson, The Most Dangerous Man in America? by Rob Boston).
theocracywatch.org...

The Christian Coalition has declared was on secular society. They are dangerous and need to be exposed and openenly fought against. They need to be stopped in their tracks!

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

I don't think you know very much of the basis of argument of Constitutionalists, Federalists, Libertarians, or Fiscal Conservatives. Not trying to offend at all, but most all their reasoning has nothing to do with religion, save perhaps the evolution point.

Although those issues are also in the forefront, the Christian right believes that they have dominion and have the divine right to reconstruct the secular community.

In a September 1994 plenary speech to the Christian Coalition national convention, Rev. D. James Kennedy said that "true Christian citizenship" involves an active engagement in society to "take dominion over all things as vice-regents of God." Kennedy's remarks were reported in February 1995 by sociologist and journalist Sara Diamond, who wrote that Kennedy had "echoed the Reconstructionist line."

More than anyone else, it was Sara Diamond who popularized the term "dominionism," using it to describe a growing political tendency in the Christian Right. It is a useful term that has, unfortunately, been used in a variety of ways that are neither accurate nor useful. Diamond was careful to discuss how the small Christian Reconstructionist theological movement had helped introduce "dominionism" as a concept into the larger and more diverse social/political movements called the Christian Right.

Dominionism is therefore a tendency among Protestant Christian evangelicals and fundamentalists that encourages them to not only be active political participants in civic society, but also seek to dominate the political process as part of a mandate from God.

The vast majority of Christians read this text and conclude that God has appointed them stewards and caretakers of Earth. As Sara Diamond explains, however, some Christian read the text and believe, "that Christians alone are Biblically mandated to occupy all secular institutions until Christ returns." That, in a nutshell, is the idea of "dominionism."
theocracywatch.org...

I'm sorry but Biblical reconstructionism and Christian dominionism have no place in American politics. Keep religion in the churches and out of legislation!

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Once again, you are, hopefully unintentionally, confusing conservative issue with Christian issues.

Would you like me to paint all liberal issues as being anti-Christian issues as an example for you? Everyone who supports social reform, pro-choice and universal health care must be a godless atheist?

Because that's what you're doing.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

No, I'm staying on topic with the OP and taking aim at the sneaky ways the Christian right tries to inject their moral high ground on American politics, using their agenda to attack secular society to impose their religious dogma through legislation.

I'm taking aim against the Christian right and the Christian Coalition, a very powerful lobby that I consider dangerous to all of society.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   

No, you're using the juvenile term "sneaky ways" to apply a minority view, and one that isn't Christian, at all, to all believers.

You diminish your own argument by taking such an infantile position. All Christians are not conservatives, and all conservatives are not Christians.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Nice thread wild, SnF just to bring some more discussion to it.

After reading whats been posted so far it seems some people do not think these 6 things are tied to being Christian at all. Like it or not they are. I'll give a personal example.

My mother-in-law lives right down the road from us. She is always visiting us at our house and we are always going over to hers. I actually get along good with my inlaws so I don't mind. She does not care anything for politics. If you asked her something about left or right she would have no idea. She is a die hard Southern Baptist churchgoer though. Every Sunday she is at church. Every time they have a fundraiser or any kind of church event she volunteers. She is hardcore about it. She has been an RN all her life and is not a dumb person

One day she had come over and eaten supper with us and we were sitting and smoking on the front porch. I don't know how we got on the topic of gay marriage but she said she did not agree with it. I asked her if she thought being gay was wrong. "No" she said. "I know it says in the bible that its wrong but I've known gay people that are good folks and I don't think God would judge them for that when he made them that way." That was what I considered to be a totally logical response from her. So I asked her "OK, if being gay is alright then why can't two people who are gay be together in the same way that me and your daughter have been for the past 11 years?" She said because it was'nt moral. And I asked her again, "So how is gay people getting married ever going to affect your marriage or your rights or anything in your life really?" She had no answer except she had heard her preacher talking about it one day at Bible study and she was basically just regurgitating his opinion on it even though when she thought about it, it was not an opinion that she shared.

Same with my parents who are also die-hard churchgoers. The force is strong with all of the baptists here and 99 percent of them are probably conservatives but even the ones that are not political in any way hold many of these same views.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

to apply a minority view, and one that isn't Christian, at all, to all believers.

But it really doesn't appear to be a 'minority view' lately, adj! It seems to be upsetting the entire country's equilibrium, and 'sneaky ways' was in the title of the OP, wind didn't say it.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

No, you're using the juvenile term "sneaky ways" to apply a minority view, and one that isn't Christian, at all, to all believers.

You diminish your own argument by taking such an infantile position. All Christians are not conservatives, and all conservatives are not Christians.

"Sneaky ways" is from the OP, "6 Sneaky Ways the Christian Right Foists Its Biblical Agenda on America" it's not my invention. I am quoting leaders and members of the Christian Coalition and how they have presented their agenda. Nothing more, nothing less.

"All Christians" are not the target of the OP's cited article or this thread!

Please quote from my posts where and why you take issue instead of making blanket statements and ignoring the actual evidence of this "insidious" agenda.

edit on 15-4-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Cancerwarrior

Thanks for joining the thread.
It is, combined with the Boston issue, something that has escalated in my mind and makes me sleepless and anxious.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by windword

I didn't even bother to read your quotes. You are so wrapped up in anti-Christian/anti-conservative/anti-libertine propaganda you fail to remotely consider any explanations that counters your presuppositions. NuT very patiently and clearly explained that the desire to abolish the Dept of Education is not strictly a Christian agenda nor do all Christians desire to (even "fundamentalist" ones). The issue for many is that education is not enumerated in the Constitution as a power delegated to the federal government to control, thus they prefer it be solely in the hands of the states. If left to the states (solely), there could still be a secular public education system, just strictly run by the states without federal interference. This a simply a conservative/Libertarian issue and most do not want the Bible taught in a public school setting (what a mess that would be... a public school teacher trying to handle theology, no bueno.)

I live in what is more or less the Bible Belt of California (yes, we've got one), and I know plenty of conservative Christians who are perfectly happy with their public school and many fully support secular education. Most want it that way and believe that faith should be taught at home.

In reality, it is a very small minority of "Christian fundamentalists" who are making the noise. That is pretty typical for any political movement. Those content with the status quo have no reason to make any noise.

I personally have opted out of the public education system and send my children to private school. The public schools in my area are pretty awful or are just concentrating on passing the sacred tests every year. I desire to see my children experience a full education and not just give lip service to everything not math or English. Our designated elementary school is actually rated very highly due to superb test scores. However, after watching my stepdaughter go through there (her mother did not want to send her to private school), I saw that the school focuses on testing and does not explore creative endeavors, which I believe are vital to a well-rounded education.

My children's school is Christian based, however, that is more a function of there only being Christian private schools in my city. If there were a secular option, I would wholeheartedly consider it. In fact, I initially had concerns about the science curriculum at a Christian school. I am a Christian as well as a geologist (*gasp* Yes! We do exist!), but I am not a YEC subscriber. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that 4 of the 5 private Christian schools we looked at use public school science texts and do discuss various creation theories along with evolution, big bang, etc.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Saorsainn

You make some very good points, Saorsainn, but I think you are being unduly harsh toward windword.

I am glad that you thought twice about what school to send your child/ren to, and glad to hear that the one you elected is not teaching Young Earth and all that stuff.

There is a LOT of misunderstanding going on in our country right now. We need to be able to listen to each other, to look at where each other's points of view come from.

Do you not agree with that? I suggest you read windword's post history - it appears that you have misinterpreted her, (which phenomenon of misunderstanding posts is very common here on ATS). Not 'your bad', it just is what it is. And if we are going to make any progress from where we are right now (on the brink of annihilation) we need to listen to each other and think about our own views vs others' points of view to get to the bottom line and sort it out.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Saorsainn

I didn't even bother to read your quotes. You are so wrapped up in anti-Christian/anti-conservative/anti-libertine propaganda you fail to remotely consider any explanations that counters your presuppositions.

This thread is about and is entitled "6 Sneaky Ways the Christian Right Foists Its Biblical Agenda on America". One of those ways is to undermine the public school system and infiltrate their boards of directors. I cited examples through quote, which you refuse to read, from the Christian Coalition, a religious right wing, very powerful lobbying agency.

The fact that "all Christians" aren't behind this agenda is irrelevant to the subject at hand, although I can appreciate your point of view.

These revisionist, fundamentalist, outspoken and backward hard liners scare the bejeezus out of me, and I will continue to speak out against their agenda.

They won't stop until we stop them!

North Carolina May Declare Official State Religion Under New Bill
edit on 16-4-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Religion has no place in government as they only respect one religion and show not much respect and considerations for any other group , as one can clearly see all across the world . Religion should be practiced in the house and at their churches on sunday .

I for one is and has been sick for a long time of these groups shoving their beliefs down my throat any chance they get . if that is how one wants to live go move to the Vatican or where ever the state is ruled by the church . I like my freedom with out having to live under another form of oppression .

eta great thread star and flag
edit on 16/4/13 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
There is a book people should read about how the prayers of the founders changed history. I need to look up
the name and author. And George Washington was visited at Valley Forge by an angel, some think it was the Blessed mother. Part of the vision of future he was shown is being fulfilled today.

Calling Christians scary is ridiculous. Scary is not following God, denying Him. Where is the security in human
respect? God is the only source of true happiness and goodness. Your soul longs for God. Your choice to love
God or not, come on, please do. Start praying daily even if only for a short time. As God to help you believe.

And believers, pray for the conversion of those who reject God.

www.jabezinaction.blogspot.com...

.Sunday, April 14, 2013

Many Will Fall Into Hell Because No One Ever Prays For Them
Children Created For My Glory,

I bless you now. I Am. I Am that I Am. I Am the Alpha and the Omega, your God. Hear Me. Open your hearts. Surrender to Me. Give Me permission to transfigure you. I desire only what is best for you. You doubt Me. You think it impossible that My love encompasses all things, all of My creation. Many of you do not truly know Me. If you decided to draw nearer to Me, I would reveal Myself to you in all My majesty. I would reveal well guarded secrets to you in order to win the hearts of My broken Children. I would teach you to pray in ways more pleasing to Me. I would guide your every step. Beloved, do not refuse Me. I count on you to serve, and to give up your lives for the advancement of My kingdom. Satan has won millions over to his camp. Many souls are now lost. Please pray so that My children will return to Me while there is still time. Be generous, and extend your prayers to touch all of humanity. Many will fall into Hell because no one ever prays for them. You would do well to remember this. Pray for all humanity. Do not discriminate. ....

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by colbe
There is a book people should read about how the prayers of the founders changed history. I need to look up the name and author. And George Washington was visited at Valley Forge by an angel, some think it was the Blessed mother. Part of the vision of future he was shown is being fulfilled today.

Calling Christians scary is ridiculous. Scary is not following God, denying Him. Where is the security in human
respect? God is the only source of true happiness and goodness. Your soul longs for God. Your choice to love
God or not, come on, please do. Start praying daily even if only for a short time. As God to help you believe.

And believers, pray for the conversion of those who reject God.

www.jabezinaction.blogspot.com...

.Sunday, April 14, 2013

Many Will Fall Into Hell Because No One Ever Prays For Them
Children Created For My Glory,

I bless you now. I Am. I Am that I Am. I Am the Alpha and the Omega, your God. Hear Me. Open your hearts. Surrender to Me. Give Me permission to transfigure you. I desire only what is best for you. You doubt Me. You think it impossible that My love encompasses all things, all of My creation. Many of you do not truly know Me. If you decided to draw nearer to Me, I would reveal Myself to you in all My majesty. I would reveal well guarded secrets to you in order to win the hearts of My broken Children. I would teach you to pray in ways more pleasing to Me. I would guide your every step. Beloved, do not refuse Me. I count on you to serve, and to give up your lives for the advancement of My kingdom. Satan has won millions over to his camp. Many souls are now lost. Please pray so that My children will return to Me while there is still time. Be generous, and extend your prayers to touch all of humanity. Many will fall into Hell because no one ever prays for them. You would do well to remember this. Pray for all humanity. Do not discriminate. ....

www.amazon.com...

God bless everyone reading this thread,

colbe

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by colbe

I don't think anyone here is saying Christians are scary (even though the church has done some very scary things when you look at history) but rather, people are saying there is an agenda at work by elements of the hardline Christian conservative right.

Are you saying that only Christians can really follow God and not deny him? I believe all religions and individuals are capable of following God, or being without God, not just Christians. Heaven is going to be a really boring place if it is full of nothing but beggars and apostles.
edit on 16-4-2013 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join