It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone translate this... plaque?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I had no idea which forum to post this in... so sorry if it's in the wrong place!!

My friend bought a plaque today, which has Greek (we're pretty sure) writing on it... trouble is, neither of us can understand what it's spelling out...

If anyone can speak/read Greek, could you help telling us what this says?

Pic 1 :

I found google translate had a greek keyboard, but without spaces between the words i couldn't get anything
" Δ ε Χ Ο Υ π Α Ρ Ο Ν Τ Α Κ Α Ι Μ Α θ Ν Τ Η Ν Α Ι Τ Ι Α Ν "

And pic 2 is the whole thing.. Gold star if anyone can tell me who the person is!

So if anyone an help, i'll appreciate it!

Thanks
edit on 15-4-2013 by MrConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
"Receive this suppliant, despite his sinfulness".

The panel is an "Archangel ivory" which is described as follow in the Wiki article:

The archangel is usually identified as Michael, and the panel is assumed to have formed the right part of a diptych, with the lost left half possibly depicting Emperor Justinian (reigned 527–565), to whom the archangel would be offering the insignia of imperial power. The panel is the largest single piece of carved Byzantine ivory that survives, at 42.9 × 14.3 cm (16 7/8 × 5 5/8 in). It is, along with the Barberini ivory, one of two important surviving 6th-century Byzantine ivories attributed to the imperial workshops of Constantinople under Justinian, although the attribution is mostly assumed due to the size and craftsmanship.

The figure is depicted in a highly classical style, wearing Greek or Roman garb and with a youthful face and proportions conforming to the ideals of classical sculpture. The architectural space, however, is more typically Byzantine in its bending of spatial logic: the archangel's feet are at the top of a staircase that recedes from the base of the columns, but his arms and wings are in front of the columns. The feet are also not firmly planted on the steps.

There is a Greek inscription at the top, translated variously. Translated as "Receive this suppliant, despite his sinfulness", it might be an expression of humility on the part of Justinian. Interpreted as the beginning of an inscription that continues on the lost second panel, it may read, "Receive these gifts, and having learned the cause...".

Source

edit on 15-4-2013 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

edit on 15-4-2013 by DISRAELI because: superseded by better information from above

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Headache gone makes me happy

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

That was fast! thank you!!

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this!

Im a carving fan...and that is very nice work.

A very nice example of how when decorative items were made by hand back then care was taken.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Your friend scored the only surviving piece of carved ivory from the Byzantine age? Wow, nice find. You never know what you might find at the local flea market or garage sale. Your friend's story is pretty neat...plaques are cool and all...but I've got an even better, crazier story... Like 5 years ago, I stopped at a yard sale and I found a working Nintendo Entertainment System with Mario/Duck Hunt and like 20 other great games like Super Mario 2, Metroid, Kung Fu, ExciteBike, TecmoBowl, Castlevania, a couple of the MegaMans, Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy... Dude, I played my heart out for like a week before I got frustrated with it...some of those games are freaking HARD!!!! And most do not save. You're lucky if you get a 24 character password like on Metroid. Just use the Justin Bailey followed by all hyphens code, it will save you some time. Or get a game shark.

But hey, keep it up, and one day, you will have a great story like this to tell YOUR grandkids...

top topics

join