It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING:Explosion At Boston Marathon

page: 108
<< 105  106  107    109  110  111 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I don't know much of anything about pressure cooker bombs, but my thinking is that they don't require detonating device. Just put it down and wait, very little planning or coordination involved.

Am I correct in assuming that?

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Pressure cooker bombs?

Said to be used in Afghanistan,

That's a new one thought pipe bombs were the preferred IED for domestic terrorists.

They also use propane tanks and fire extinguishers for IEDs over there
If you see anyone messing with said items and they leave it in the middle of a crowded area, then something may be up. Like swapping out a couple fire extinguishers in a meeting hall that is going to have an event in a few hours or the next day or so.

Any object that has a hollow space inside can be used as an explosive device. Anyone messing with such items that do not look like they belong, should raise a red flag.

Normally you could deduce that something is wrong when they leave an item, and walk off, but with a suicide bomber, you don’t even have that indication that something may be wrong.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

Yep I was just checking outs Inert products website IED training aids pretty much anything can be used.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Bill and Denise Richard were both heavily involved in community regeneration, lots of money involved. What if this wasn't indiscriminate but a targeted attack. Just a thought.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by wheels
I don't know much of anything about pressure cooker bombs, but my thinking is that they don't require detonating device. Just put it down and wait, very little planning or coordination involved.

Am I correct in assuming that?

The bomb was timed. The four hour mark is when the bulk of the runners finish the race and largest group of family members gathers at the finish line. I don't think the bombs required remote detonation, but that is usually the way they are rigged to assure proper timing....or for whatever reason..at least as far as I am aware. A timed device involves less certaintity than remotely triggered device?

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miracula

Originally posted by SubTruth

Originally posted by nightstalker78
reply to post by hoochymama

Why are people so caught up on this? Dogs are like humans.They make mistakes.

They can't catch everything,just like we can't.

Actually they are pretty darn good at what they do. The dogs being there and not hitting on this is a big issue.

They had bomb sniffing dogs at the race and they didn't catch this?

Curious

They have drug sniffing dogs at every festival, but dope still gets in.
Security is more about the deterrence than the actual prevention. There is ALWAYS a way to get things through, but the chance of being caught and the perception of security is more important than people give credit for.

Continuing on the festival comparison, you should see the numbers of people who see a random search and drug sniffing dogs working and how many people stop, throw their stash, or change their mind. It's psychological as much as it is physical.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

reply to post by Mr Tranny

Yep I was just checking outs Inert products website IED training aids pretty much anything can be used.

I just read that a doc treating one of the victims removed several "BB like" balls from a womans leg. Seeing as he said they were "like" BBs, but not...it sounds like steel ball-bearings similair to what suicide bombers employ.

Also...Pressure Cookers? filled with ball bearings? OK...so someone with a large, very heavy cyclindrical item in a backpack or duffel bag.

This has to stand out in vid or pics.

I don't think the reports that the bombs were inside the trash cans has been validated?

It appears the bombs were placed so the blasts blew out toward the street? Did they put the bombs beside the trash cans facing the street, for backing?

Otherwise if they were hidden inside the cans, then they needed to re-inforce one side of the can to direct the blast? And that seems very unlikely/unpractical.
edit on 16-4-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Forgive me for not reading through 108 pages , so this could already been talked about.

I am not a explosive expert or bomb expert so forgive me if i am wrong.

How do you people think these bomb where detonated , because it looks very syncronized , would they use a remote detonater or a cell phone , I am rulling out suicide detonation because then there should be obvious clues.

and if they would use a cell phone , wouldnt the signal be much more easier to track back to the caller , because of the fact there are 2 bombs detonated possibly by the same phone.

Forgive me if i am wrong about this , but Intelligence agency's are able to trace back telephone singals send or recieved ?

TheGreazel

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The explosives used in the deadly Boston Marathon bombing were contained in 6-liter pressure cookers and hidden in black duffel bags on the ground, a person briefed on the investigation told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

These types of pressure cooker explosives have been used in Afghanistan, India, Nepal and Pakistan, according to a July 2010 joint FBI and Homeland Security intelligence report

hosted.ap.org...

Ok so if they were in "black duffel bags" how do they know they were "pressure cookers" ?

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Also...Pressure Cookers? filled with ball bearings? OK...so someone with a large, very heavy cyclindrical item in a backpack or duffel bag.

Depends on if it was a made in China cheapy wouldn't necessarly weigh too much just be cumbersome.

Otherwise if they were hidden inside the cans, then they needed to re-inforce one side of the can to direct the blast? And that seems very unlikely/unpractical.

Shaped charges from IED's can be as simple as grinding one side down as they do with pipe bombs.

Garbage cans really don't have that much weight to them these days.

Altho when an IED is put in a confined space it amplfies the destructive power.
edit on 16-4-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Whelp the news is reporting this type of bomb was used in Afghanistan and Pakistan.Another muslim radical terrorist is what is most likely.
They are gonna get us again and I have said they will eventually get us and it appears they have.
edit on 16-4-2013 by Jobeycool because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5
"What" is the other end of "why"?? And because in world with 7 Billion people...the goal of making sure every single human is both sane and happy might be a lot to bite off? I'd imagine the best first course is to simply find the MFer that gleefully killed and maimed strangers and children.

Why is the reason which what understands. All questions are valid but "what" are to often ignored.
A world does not have to be perfect to be better, just because we can't fix everything shouldn't stop us from doing our best. With everybody fighting to keep things the way they're used to, It would seem a solution is just as impossible as the ever so mythic utopia. My point was not to only ask what but that it is important that we don't forget what makes it so.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The explosives used in the deadly Boston Marathon bombing were contained in 6-liter pressure cookers and hidden in black duffel bags on the ground, a person briefed on the investigation told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

These types of pressure cooker explosives have been used in Afghanistan, India, Nepal and Pakistan, according to a July 2010 joint FBI and Homeland Security intelligence report

hosted.ap.org...

Ok so if they were in "black duffel bags" how do they know they were "pressure cookers" ?

I'm no crime scene "expert" but I would imagine that the black duffel bag was no longer obscuring the pressure cooker after the explosion. It blew legs off, so I think it probably poked a few holes in the bag, too

Its going to be interesting to see how things are handled at events of this sort after the fact. There's always a fine line to be toed.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Rubic0n

you my friend are correct,its rediculous the amount of people who hate arabs/islamics because the tv told them to. not all of those folks are terrorists.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

hosted.ap.org...

Schrapnel, remnants of the cookers.

Sidenote...if they were in the open vs. hidden in garbage cans...THEN

I strongly suspect remote detonation. Someone would want to detonate if the bags were discovered or moved.

AND it means they were placed during the crowded activity during the race as the bags would have stood out if placed prior to everyone setting-up, arriving.

This is good news on the video/pics front. Someone should have footage of that area during that time...Security cams...media...private cams.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by flyswatter

But explosions happen in tenths of a second faster than the human eye can see.

Idk how he saw anything,.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

They said they found pieces of pressure cookers.

I have no idea how they could ascertain that.

Also, how did they know the bags were black? Would there be enough of the bag left after the explosion to know that?

More answers means more questions.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

I strongly suspect remote detonation. Someone would want to detonate if the bags were discovered or moved.

I was leaning towards time delayed, but the FBI is doing your cell phone record search.

link   

Originally posted by Jobeycool
Whelp the news is reporting this type of bomb was used in Afghanistan and Pakistan.Another muslim radical terrorist is what is most likely.
They are gonna get us again and I have said they will eventually get us and it appears they have.
edit on 16-4-2013 by Jobeycool because: (no reason given)

Just because they have been used in Afganistan and Pakistan does not mean that only they can build them. I would say just about every type of bomb has been used in Afganistan and Pakistan...it really doesn't prove anything.

So many people seem so eager to blame "muslims"...why don't we just wait to see who is responsible. It may be a radical muslim...it may not be.

link   
reply to post by neo96

What if the guy didn't even use a cell phone to activate the bombs?

What if the suspect used a radio detonator...

top topics

<< 105  106  107    109  110  111 >>

join