It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists make 'laboratory-grown' kidney

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
This is great news!! I know people and have relatives that either have only ONE kidney, or about to loose ONE..

I hope this technology is not just some freaky fad, this can save people we know who need new kidneys without ONE of us giving up ONE.. I know I WOULD for someone I loved.. Here is the information on it and when you hit the link, there is a little video showing giving info on it, it's not a youtube one soooooo =*( have to go their to see the video...

A kidney "grown" in the laboratory has been transplanted into animals where it started to produce urine, US scientists say.

Similar techniques to make simple body parts have already been used in patients, but the kidney is one of the most complicated organs made so far.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Thanks for reading folks!!

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
They have actually been doing this for a few years, to varying degrees, with most major internal organs. Here is a clip from a Nova episode on PBS that was originally aired back in 2011. They show how the laboratory-grown organs are made. Very cool technology!

S&F

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
S&F for this, this is a great news, there is light in the end of tunnel. My kid is type 1 diabetic and this kind of news brings some hope for the future. Tho i wish they could crack the code which makes human immune system to attack its own cells and actual cure for the disease like type 1 diabetes.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by dollukka
S&F for this, this is a great news, there is light in the end of tunnel. My kid is type 1 diabetic and this kind of news brings some hope for the future. Tho i wish they could crack the code which makes human immune system to attack its own cells and actual cure for the disease like type 1 diabetes.

I am sorry to hear that!! The light at the end of the tunnel is very bright, when this technology goes viral, AND IT WILL, this will change everything, I just hope it evolves fast enough to save my aunty!!! My other lifelong friend only has one kidney and I so hope to this will be available to her.. I hope it does not take 20-30 years for it to be very viable, I do not want them to die.. The good news should not be over looked though, it could save our kid's and theirs!!

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Enter Frankenstein.

Wont be long before they are growing other organs too. Brains, legs, arms, stomachs... you name it!

Will save alot of lives no doubt...

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Great news for the super rich ill bet. For the average person it wont change a thing.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Star and flag!
This is good news.

Now, when will they start growing brains? I have a few members of congress that I would like to put on the candidate list.
edit on 15-4-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
Star and flag!
This is good news.

Now, when will they start growing brains? I have a few members of congress that I would like to put on the candidate list.

They cause enough trouble as it is, i hate to think what might happen if they got someone with a bit of intelligence in a position of power..

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
Star and flag!
This is good news.

Nancy Pelosi could use a new brain!!!!

She also could use a new face, all the plastic surgery in the world could not fix that...

Maybe Obama care will make sure that not only the super rich will be able to have a new kidney!

I imagine the death panels will weed out the poor anyways..

Lets try to look at the GOOD this can do though..

All the negatives suck, but maybe just maybe one day this will save someone we love or care about...

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by starfoxxx

Man, that’s kind of creepy but if they were to do this on humans my hope is it would be produced using our own body cells rather than introducing synthetic or foreign ingredients into the mix. I’d hate to see this technology misused by people…we humans have a tendency to abuse new-found powers.

S&F

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Wonder how long before they offer them up on a menu

In fact If no one gets hurt heck I would try one If it was from my own stem cells

S&F
It could save millions of lives but until then donate people donate..click my sig for more.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   

This is exciting news starfoxx! I have a friend who had a kidney transplant and the anti-rejection drugs didn't work so he had to go back on dialysis and wait a few more years to get another kidney (doing fine now). If they can create artificial human organs that they can "seed" with the recipients own DNA it would greatly reduce the chance of organ rejection and save many lives.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

This is exciting news starfoxx! I have a friend who had a kidney transplant and the anti-rejection drugs didn't work so he had to go back on dialysis and wait a few more years to get another kidney (doing fine now). If they can create artificial human organs that they can "seed" with the recipients own DNA it would greatly reduce the chance of organ rejection and save many lives.

Thanks littled, that Dialysis is a bitch.. One of my relatives had to go through it and it is a terrible process. Making the kidney from your own human DNA would be the best way you hit the nail on the head big time, it makes sense so your body does not reject the kidney/organ...
Hope you friend stays well..
edit on 16-4-2013 by starfoxxx because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join