It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Creative Ideas To Hide an Eyesore

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
You could create a screen using either lattice or branches... there are some nice trellis ideas out there. You can add bits of colored glass, remember that although it would be lovely to have morning glories, moon flowers and other assorted vines growing on it, they may take a while to establish. So, if you have patience plant climbing vines (even scarlet runner beans) and train them to grow up the trellis. Morning Glories and Moon flowers are self seeding and come back every year.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by Rodinus

It is legal to hide them on private roads.

Link to bomb-making instructions

You got me worried for a moment there butcher

Oh my, you could go ten pin bowling with a thing like that!

By the way Smylee i saw this which is quite a novel idea too, although the wording is in French it is a prison for fugitive garden gnomes) it also depends on your sense (and your neighbours) sense of humour :

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I would build a square planter trough that goes around it, but high enough to where once small plants (real or fake) are put in, they'll hide the box in the center of the troughed square. You can even put a hinge and fastener on it, so the box trough can open up to allow for easy access to the box, but when closed, will hide the box.

Or:

www.myurbangardendecoguide.com...

www.artandarchitecture-sf.com...

edit on 15-4-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Charge them a monthly fee for having it on your private property. If they dont pay, take them to court!! They shouldnt be trespassing like that on private property.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

I have an extremely ugly cable box .................about two feet high by three feet wide and two feet deep.

WTF ???????..............just WTF ????????????????

what sort of " cable service " needs a box 1m high ???????

i have just checked with a friend who has cable service [ phone / tv / internet ] and his " outside box " - connected to a 2 inch trunk - is 50cm * 20cm * 10cm - and apart from a very large tamper proof connector - only contains an ECU ` about the size of a paperback novel ` . the rest is air - and the end of a ` peice of string ` - which i assume is for pulling new wires into the conduit - to allow replacement

and he thinks his cable box is exxesivly large and unsightly
- ps its white polycarbonate bolted to his wall

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I'm with Gazrock
A 4 sided raised bed with access panel,

You could make it your sons 'special' garden and let him plant tomatoes and lettuce etc. You get the benefit of fresh salad and he gets to provide food for the family with all the benefits of learning to care and look after something he created.

I know my estranged kids still lovingly plant, tend and reap the benefits of the raised beds I built for them about 13 years ago.

Just an idea

Cody

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I'm voting for planters with edible foods (berries, for instance) or ornamental plants native to your area (bird/butterfly food.) I'd go with milkweed, myself, since the monarchs are in trouble.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

I like the planter idea the best. Now how to build it? Just build a wooden box that fits on top with planter boxes on top of that?

Byrd...you might be interested to know this. We've been studying butterflies at school and the kids are making a butterfly garden. Lots of milkweed there, along with other plants that fit the life cycle from egg to adult. Pretty fun stuff.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Like this... (top view, looking down)

Not sure of the dimensions of your box, but basically, you have a three part box, then a separate box, that has a hinge and handle (so you can open the whole thing like a door, and access the box). If a hinge is a bit tricky (and it could be, to allow room for the box to clear while opening), you could just use latches to hold the removable part to the rest.

If going for live plants, of course, look what's good for your area. Here, milkweed is a menace plant. Flowers and berries attractive to butterflies and birds can be a cool idea, but may take more work than you want (and berries could bring bugs), so just be aware of the pros and cons of any. Likewise, there are plenty of low maintenance flowers that can still attract them too.

I like the planter idea the best. Now how to build it? Just build a wooden box that fits on top with planter boxes on top of that?

Another idea. You could make a planter box that kind of uses the box to hold up, and hangs off each side of the box. If doing this, I'd recommend 4 separate boxes (so it will be easier to remove for temporary access to the box). This of course, is assuming you could put something in direct contact with it....not sure if you can, or what the rules are regarding this.
edit on 16-4-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Whatever you do, you still may want to call the cable company to make sure you are allowed to cover it. Also, if digging around it, use caution. Your neighbors cable could be hooked up through the box.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
This is the easiest one I found
Just scale it up

ETA: If you wanna pay for my ticket and expenses I'll pop over and knock it up for you

I am a furniture maker

Cody
edit on 16/4/13 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Or you could always try this

Living fence

Cody

<< 1   >>

join