It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Creative Ideas To Hide an Eyesore

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

I'm typing this on my iPad at the docs office, so I can't upload any pics. Hopefully you'll be able to understand what I'm describing anyway.

I have an extremely ugly cable box in a prominent place in my front yard. It's a hideous neon green color and about two feet high by three feet wide and two feet deep. It's a true monstrosity and I hate it.

I'm looking for a way to disguise the hideous box. I've looked at the faux rock covers....problem is, they look very, very, faux. Fake, in other words. In my opinion, that makes it stick out even more.

What I would like t do, I think, is build some kind of wooden box to cover it. Then make the box into a planter, or bench, or something else.

This is where you come on, my friends. I dearly need your help. Any and all ideas and suggestions welcome....thank you so much!

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Is this the electrical service for your house?

If so, it needs to be accessible for the utility workers if they need to work on it.
Do you want to cover it from view from all angles?
Is there a homeowners association that you have been forced to join that may further limit your options for covering it?

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

What you need in your front yard is a small wishing well. You need the round / square / octagonal base rising a few feet then two poles with a winder and some rope and a sloped roof. Put a small sign on it "Wishing Well" and make it so anyone that does happen to throw coins in it cannot retrieve them.

Another option is a small castle. Easy to make and you should only need scrap pieces of timber.

Hope that helps.

P

ETA Your son may like helping to put it together. It can be made removable, connect it to the box with some chain and a padlock.
edit on 15/4/2013 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I once made a fake rock to hide a bomb in the road. I didn't like the ones they sell either.

I made it out of chicken wire and paper mache, it came out pretty well. But the textured spray paint made it a little on the expensive side.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Make a slip over top for it of something creative, maybe a GIANT toadstool from a sci fi/fantasy movie.
Or maybe build a miniature faux water well to slide ove the top of it.
Or build what looks like silo doors to place around it and paint it like a nuke!!

BTW, I am glad this is the sort of eyesore you are seeking to hide from the world, I was gonna tell you "nobody deserves that."

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Put some plants in planters around making sure they can be moved for service or a shrub on one side with a movable planter where the service hatch is.

Or just spray it green with permission of coarse.
edit on 15-4-2013 by enament because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
You could get a light weight planter box the same size and plant a fast growing creeper/climber type plant. Sit the planter on top. Without something to grow up on they usually will hang down, in no time the whole box could be out of sight.

If you use a really lightweight planter to begin with, it could possibly be moved if needed. Ok it maybe messed up a bit when moved, but will grow back again.

Another idea could be to plant a hedge like plants around it, keep it trimmed to just above the box hight, place a statue or bird bath on top or even some potted colour. I'm sure you'll come up with a great idea. Good luck
edit on 15-4-2013 by feelingconnected because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

If so, it needs to be accessible for the utility workers if they need to work on it.
Is there a homeowners association that you have been forced to join that may further limit your options for covering it?

As I understand it, the box is for cable service only (which we do not get). However I think it must be accessible. No homeowners association to contend with.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Originally posted by butcherguy

As I understand it, the box is for cable service only (which we do not get). However I think it must be accessible. No homeowners association to contend with.

I would suggest planter boxes (four of them) with an arrangement so that the end of one goes past the end of the adjacent one, so that a cable company employee could walk up to it, but you would not be able to see it.

The entrance to a restroom in a large public venue (like a stadium) where there are no doors, but the openings are offset so that you can't see into the restroom from the outside, would be the best way to describe what I mean.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Those things are an eyesore. I feel bad for homeowners whenever I see a nice yard with one of those jammed in the lawn.

Maybe you could paint it like this guy did to his electrical utility cabinets. If you're allowed to? If it were in my yard I'd just go ahead and paint it anyways, and if they confronted me I'd just deny any involvement and say talented vandals did it lol.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Make a mini TARDIS like Doctor Who's to cover it.
Cuttings of plywood,wooden beads,blue paint etc.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

Hey Smyleegrl !! I would check first before spending money on lumber , it may be against local codes to have it covered or ubstructed ? Maybe plant some globe cedar hedges around it ?

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376
Make a mini TARDIS like Doctor Who's to cover it.
Cuttings of plywood,wooden beads,blue paint etc.

You must be psychic Glen, i was just about to mention making a dalek...!

But on a more serious note how about a mini ornamental garden shed Smylee or as was suggested above a false wishing well? but then again, it is not easy to give you an idea as i don't know what your tastes are?

Even lattice fencing with some kind of climbing plant can do the job too.

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 15-4-2013 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I have had yards with fire hydrants, wells, electric boxes in the front yard.
I would paint it a nice forrest green, plant a small tree in front of it with bushes. Zinnias grow up thick and tall in the summer. You could still use the fake rock cover in the flower bush garden design too. I have a fake rock cover in the woods over a well. It doesn't bother me much.... I bought it at Lowe's and paid a small fortune.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Get in touch with your artistic side. Paint the box with your house number, or paint something completely random. It may not hide the fact that box is there, but will distract and add witty and cleverness to passers by.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
I once made a fake rock to hide a bomb in the road. I didn't like the ones they sell either.

I made it out of chicken wire and paper mache, it came out pretty well. But the textured spray paint made it a little on the expensive side.

Erm... A BOMB????

Could you elaborate please

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

No, thank you.

I do not care to elaborate.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

I thought of a dalek too but thought the TARDIS would be easier.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

It is legal to hide them on private roads.

Link to bomb-making instructions

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376
reply to post by Rodinus

I thought of a dalek too but thought the TARDIS would be easier.

*points to the post above yours*

Smylee could also make one of those big fake bombs out of papier maché, a bit like this one below... now that would be an eyecatcher for the neighbours!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

top topics

<<   2 >>

join