It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USAF conducting feasability studies into Teleportation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Well the title says it all, just found this...well astounding story.

Lest you think that our friends at DARPA are the only ones interested in science-fictional possibilities, the USAF recently took delivery of a new study regarding the military potential of teleportation.

The Teleportation Physics Study was done by Eric Davis of Warp Drive Metrics. Its purpose -

"This study was tasked with the purpose of collecting information describing the teleportation of material objects, providing a description of teleportation as it occurs in physics, its theoretical and experimental status, and a projection of potential applications. The study also consisted of a search for teleportation phenomena occurring naturally or under laboratory conditions that can be assembled into a model describing the conditions required to accomplish the transfer of objects."

The author broke down the various possibilities in this way:

* Teleportation � SciFi: the disembodied transport of persons or inanimate objects across space by advanced (futuristic) technological means (adapted from Vaidman, 2001). We will call this sf- Teleportation, which will not be considered further in this study.
* Teleportation � psychic: the conveyance of persons or inanimate objects by psychic means. We will call this p-Teleportation.
* Teleportation � engineering the vacuum or spacetime metric: the conveyance of persons or inanimate objects across space by altering the properties of the spacetime vacuum, or by altering the spacetime metric (geometry). We will call this vm-Teleportation.
* Teleportation � quantum entanglement: the disembodied transport of the quantum state of a system and its correlations across space to another system, where system refers to any single or collective particles of matter or energy such as baryons (protons, neutrons, etc.), leptons (electrons, etc.), photons, atoms, ions, etc. We will call this q-Teleportation.
* Teleportation � exotic: the conveyance of persons or inanimate objects by transport through extra space dimensions or parallel universes. We will call this e-Teleportation.

Very interesting stuff, I wonder if any of these are possibilities(well Entanglement works we know that). If possible it would be well exciting to say the least even though we are probably many many year(maybe centuries) from practicle use.

EDIT: Here is another linky

www.space.com...

[edit on 3-11-2004 by sardion2000]

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   
One guy claims we already have this. Or some kind of Portal to Mars. I remember reading about some guy that claims he was stationed with the military on Mars and traveled back and forth via this portal.

I'll see if I can find the link.

www.themarsrecords.com...
these make an interesting read if nothing else

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I think Exotic teleportation will be the most usefull meathod, I allready belive that quantum particas "Appear" and "Disapear" By traveling through Nanoscopic wormholes that form aroud atoms due to the immence gravity taht would result by beeing so close to a object, of any size, so if we could create these on a larger scale....

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 02:55 AM
link   
There was a man whose name escapes me on the history cahnnel recently that said anyhting you see in sci-fi the U.S. already thought of and tried 30 years before you see it. So this could already be in a good stage of development. Just a thought.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I would be very skeptical about the concept of teleporting from a scientific viewpoint................

When you look at the reconfiguration of the atomic structure in its molecular composition of matter in order to transport any object you need to account for quantum indeterminates at the subatomic level.

There are limitations to the classic mechanical perspective of atomic structure that principles of duality, uncertainity and general "grainyness" within quantum reality make the task of both the breakdown and reassembling of matter through any form of electromagnet transport unrealistic if not impossible at this time. Teleporting as performed in science fiction venues does not take into consideration the undeterminates of quantum reality within those atom substructures............

The reality is that any real attempt at assemble on the "other end" would never guarantee one atom let alone trillions that make of the object of transportation would ever be configured in such a manner that it could have been resembled to its prior "before transport" state ............

If this makes no sense I suggest a general book on quantum physics to enlighten you further on the subject.

Unfortunately teleporting is best left to science fiction novels and movies for now............

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Unfortunately teleporting is best left to science fiction novels and movies for now............

Yeah well about that, it seems that the USAF takes it seroiusly enough to conduct a feasability study on it, and yeah i know from a science standpoint(at least the science we all know who knows what Gov't scientists have their hands on) its kinda hard to believe that they will succeed. BUT and there is always a big but, ALL CURRENT THEORIES ABOUT REALITY AS WE KNOW ARE WRONG! Not completely wrong, but then again not correct enough to solve all remaining paradoxes(and there are plenty of em too) Like what happened before the Big Bang, during and just after it. All models are incomplete and until they are complete all avenues must be explored because isn't the point of science to explore and learn? Scientists really need to take their blinders off, there is a revolution coming and history teaches those who aren't flexible, and change with the times gets left in the dust. It happened to Einstein. He once said "God does not play dice with the universe" when reffering to Quantum Uncertainty, which makes me believe even as smart as Albert was he ended up wearing blinders just like the majority of scientists do today....

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
All matter has mass and Einstein said that if matter aproaches the speed of light then its mass becomes enourmous. If you could bring something down to its energy state you then with sufficient technology transport something faster then light and in that case faster than instant.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeyTheBear
All matter has mass

But what is the phenomenon that "creates" mass, gravity, inertia etc? IF we have the answer to these questions then we could perhaps manipulate them.

If you could bring something down to its energy state you then with sufficient technology transport something faster then light and in that case faster than instant.

Could you clarify?? What is 'it' you refer to??

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   
This isnt exactly teleportation but could be just as if not more efective. OK thinking space as afbric. all objects in space with gravity especially things like black holes, stars, and planets, make a dent or slope in this fabric. things with more gravity making a bigger slope. if you coul make something withe nough gravity to rip this fabric you would be outside the boundaries of the rules in our unvierse. allowing you too travel at unimaginable speeds.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

All matter has mass

But what is the phenomenon that "creates" mass, gravity, inertia etc? IF we have the answer to these questions then we could perhaps manipulate them.

If you could bring something down to its energy state you then with sufficient technology transport something faster then light and in that case faster than instant.

Could you clarify?? What is 'it' you refer to??

the it was refering to mass. and since all matter is made of energy you could return the matter back to tits energy state.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   

This isnt exactly teleportation but could be just as if not more efective. OK thinking space as afbric. all objects in space with gravity especially things like black holes, stars, and planets, make a dent or slope in this fabric. things with more gravity making a bigger slope. if you coul make something withe nough gravity to rip this fabric you would be outside the boundaries of the rules in our unvierse. allowing you too travel at unimaginable speeds.

For some reason, that just sounds like a really BAD idea

Not to say you are wrong, but ripping a giant hole in the fabric of space time just can't be a good idea.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Quantum entanglement + USAF = air superiority UCAVs

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
here's a link to the original study, which appears to have been done by a subcontractor (still, it has the systems command seal on it):

www.fas.org...

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   
The whole bending space-time is kinda different from teleporting... there was quite a good explanation to this in the film "Event Horizon" of all things... Mass and energy (being interchangable and technically unseperable through the equation E=mc^2) effect what is known as "space-time", the fabric of space. This can be thought of as a large rubber sheet, which mass/energy effectively creates "dents" in... (though space time is 4 dimensional, rather than a 2d sheet, but I find it rather hard to imagine a 3d sheet that has the same properties) as an object moves at higher speeds it gains mass (as to accelerate it you have to increase it's energy and thus it's mass) and creates a larger dent in space time... theoretically to get it to light speed you would have to give it infinite energy (look up lorentz transforms, they govern the speed you're travelling compared to light speed as you approach a relativistic speed "x' = [(1 - v^2/c^2)^-1/2](x - vt) ) and thus produce an infinite curvature in space-time... similar to what may occur in black-holes... through this infinite curvature it's possible you could connect to other areas of space. Though this is highly theoretical and where this infinite curvature would lead to is pure speculation, though there are a lot of theories which I'm not going to go into now.

Oh, and as for teleportation, I believe the closest we've got so far is to "teleport" the quantum state of one photon to another across a distance, this is a large step away from the moving of large bodies intact, which as far as I know is impossible... as it would involve transporting information faster than the speed of light, but who know's what is possible. In anycase, I can tell you that the technology is no where anything useable so far... sorry! (well, not in any university in the world, which are generally at the forefront of many of these things)

Sorry for the rant, I'm bored... if it doesn't make much sense it's cause it's a sunday afternoon and I'm not overly awake!

new topics

top topics

join