It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea dismisses offer of talks as John Kerry urges dialogue

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Well guys, so much for that idea.... I know Calgarian and others were hopeful, but this is absurd.

So now South Korea has to ask really nice-like and say pretty please or something? They've threatened to repeatedly turn Seoul into something like a charcoal briquette and they want Seoul to concede attitude points? This has to come before they'll even meet to begin to discuss trying to avoid the outbreak of total regional war and perhaps much more?

Communist state says it will not talk unless South Korea abandons confrontational posture

The Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea said it would not talk unless Seoul abandoned its confrontational posture, in a statement released through the official news agency. The South's unification ministry described that as a preliminary response, and said it would watch developments.

The remarks came as the US secretary of state, John Kerry, reiterated Washington's keenness to see a return to dialogue, following weeks of tension on the peninsula. The North has issued threat after threat and pulled workers out of the Kaesong joint industrial complex.

Okay, they're really hitting the happy sauce in Pyongyang or something. This is just a bit silly and surreal to hear all the way around. But wait! There's more!

Japan's foreign minister, Fumio Kishida, said North Korea had to honour its commitment to earlier deals on its weapons programmes and on returning kidnapped foreigners.
Source

Yeah... As if that's likely to happen any time soon. They don't even fully acknowledge the extent they HAVE kidnapped foreign nationals to train their own people for infiltration and intelligence work.

Anyone else get the feeling that ALL sides are pretty much playing games by setting preconditions and qualifications that they know, in advance, no one involved will ever agree to?

Let's also recall..John Kerry swiftly (couldn't resist..) announced on this trip that the U.S. would flat out not tolerate a nuclear North Korea. Hey, way to go there John!
That's being the top diplomat! Set ultimatums that contradict the public statements of absolutes the other side has made ..before anyone even gets to the room to have a chat.

* I think someone needs to remind Secretary of State Kerry that he didn't get his hoped for Secy Defense position and this isn't the job to be making such statements. He's supposed to be the DEAL maker, not breaker. That's DOD's job.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I knew it.

Waste of time.

Oh well, back to square one.

f it

S&F for another informative post rabbit.

edit on 14-4-2013 by lnfideI because: ~~~~ __/) ~~~~~~

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
All sides want to talk, but none of them want to compromise anything of value. Frankly, I wouldn't trust NK's word if they had agreed to end their nuclear program anyway. S&F, another quality thread on the matter

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
No adult supervision and the kindergardners are out of control, Hello adults breaktimes over the kiddos are getting nasty in there!

Par for the course on NK's, how dare you respond to my threats with your nasty remarks - say you are sorry right now! or look at the hand.

Unfortunately I feel the only adult around happens to be manipulating the children, that adult is China.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix
How dare you respond to my threats with your nasty remarks - say you are sorry right now! or look at the hand.

I know, right? This is absurd. What the hell is this - a bunch of 7 year-olds??

What a joke.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Thanks for the shout-out. I dont remember you posting in that thread tho

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
It was... uh... Kerry talking... you know... he... hmmm... inspires and transpires respect as much as a banana... so.... you know... I was watching him on reuters feed for a whole 2 minutes and didnt fall asleep because my cat tripped on the phone that fell on top of my ps3 and that broke my meditative almost sedative state that Kerry put me in... (go cat).

But thats ok... cause the ps3 is fine, and uh... the phone is fine also... and it snapped me out of Kerry so I'm fine also btw... thanks for asking.

So that got me thinking... is there any good movie tonight on tv or something? Where did I put my car keys. Because tomorrow I wanted to go shop for some arrows and probably go hunting next weekend.

And the days are getting warmer and I have to get my hardtop from my car off and get it convertible again...

Right now you guys are thinking "damn this guy is crazy... what the hell is he talking about?... hes making no sense, plus hes kinda boring..." This is NOTHING compared to Kerry... you cant really blame North Korea. Kerry can make anyone launch a bloody nuke out of despair just to see if they can shut him up...

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
how long b4 they umm fire the "yeah ok" test rocket???? its daylight the 15th for thm.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz3

When they recover from the Kerry-Numb-Bomb... its a slow process... Tokyo is just now showing the first signs of life.

EDIT: spelling - See? I mispelled Tokyo - thats what you get when hit by a Kerry bomb - and I'm in europe...
edit on 14-4-2013 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Please deny my ignorance and correct me (albeit politely) if I'm wrong here...

But didn't North Korea's aggression come about BECAUSE of aggressive 'posturing' on the part of the South and the U.S.A.?

I'm trying to remain unbiased on the issue as difficult as that can be sometimes, but if I put myself in NK's shoes... I kind of can't blame them for getting antsy when big armies are drilling near my front door. Therefore, it would make sense to not want to talk to people who are still "in my face" so to speak.

As I've stated, if my understand of the catalyst is in err, please explain to me how this came about.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Invariance

Well, as always and especially in Asia, it's more complicated than that. Yes, North Korea blames the US and South Koreas pre-planned war games (happens every year) for the rise in tensions, which followed the first provocation as they saw it, when the UN passed new sanctions following their last nuclear weapons test. The 3rd for them.

CNN Timeline

The complicated part comes in why the UN and Security Council nations had just about had enough and really gave him something which hurt this time.

Chronology of U.S.-North Korean Nuclear and Missile Diplomacy

As that shows, this really is far more than just 1 test or even all 3. This is about a string of promises made to the US and overall world about not making Nuclear Weapons and peaceful application of their existing nuclear program for energy and such ....clear back to the 1992 agreements for a Non-Nuclear Peninsula and beyond.

It's a bit of reading but not that much for giving a very clear and concise history of promises made, broken, made again and so on .... Temper flares for Aid is what it's always been. The REAL nuclear weapons tests are what has really changed attitudes and hardened positions around the world. The outright statements of intent to USE them and name specific targets is unprecedented and beyond the pale, IMO.
edit on 14-4-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
The United States and South Korea offered on Saturday to keep their end of a defunct 2005 aid agreement with North Korea, provided Pyongyang took take "meaningful steps" to denuclearize.

News Link

This Mr Kerry is an incredible tactician and negotiator. he has effectively turned the clock back eight (8) years and will re instate our end of the bargain if the NorKo's make a promise to suspend the threats and the nukes.

I am not sure why this has not been thought about ahead of time?

I think we all know now that Lil Kim can be taken seriously and at face value. Trustworthy in a nutshell.

Screw those poor US veterans and the families that are just holding on inside the USA, pee on paying off any of the debt, or getting people working. We need to get that aid flowing to the NorKo leadership ASAP, because you know as well as I do that the poor people there will get the brunt of it.

This was so simple it almost boggles my mind.

edit on 15-4-2013 by lnfideI because: ~~~~ __/) ~~~~~~

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jazz3

Would think about 10pm their time, just as we set off our 4th of July fire works, they will theirs, now will they go over SK or Japan? live shot of Tokyo tokyosky.to... as you can tell it is of the canal.

S$F to you there rabbit,you do mighty fine threads,

edit on 15-4-2013 by bekod because: line edit

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Oh well we tried and tried and tried and tried and trie.....get the #ing nukes ready.

Edit - That was a ridiculous statement but I'm so frustrated with NK. I hope nothing horrible happens. To all of our friends that may be in the range of the lunatic I wish you well. Be safe. It will be okay but if not we will be there 4 u.

edit on 15-4-2013 by billy565 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Invariance
Please deny my ignorance and correct me (albeit politely) if I'm wrong here...

But didn't North Korea's aggression come about BECAUSE of aggressive 'posturing' on the part of the South and the U.S.A.?

No. Back in the 1990's, NK agreeed to do all sorts of things and SK and USA were conciliatory and gave them some money and goods. NK kept the money and reneged on the agreements and weren't sorry about it, and then goes really hysterical.

I'm trying to remain unbiased on the issue as difficult as that can be sometimes, but if I put myself in NK's shoes... I kind of can't blame them for getting antsy when big armies are drilling near my front door.

Threatening mass murder and genocide goes beyond "antsy".

There's a close parallel which shows that the USA is not intrinsically hateful or prejudicial: Burma.

The military generals (not quite as bad as DPRK, but clearly a completely unfree military dictatorship) eventually decided to come out on their own. Burma was not invaded, stolen or raped, and the sanctions were lessened and will probably be ended.

edit on 15-4-2013 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
South Korea's confrontational posture??

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea said it would not talk unless Seoul abandoned its confrontational posture

What confrontational posture? South Koreans' responses to Kim's threats so far can be summed up in one word...

MEH.....

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by CristobalColonic

Excellent derail mate. I watched this for like...... 15 mins.

Can't even remember what I was going to say, nor do I really care to go back and re-read the thread.

A-1

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Just like Iran, this thing will drag on for a while between NK and international organizations/nations/entities. What a waste of time and money. All that could be put to good use but oh well. What else is new?

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Thank you, but I don't understand how it is that some countries can dictate to others what they're allowed to have to defend their countries with. If some countries have nukes, why can't others?
I'm sorry, but if all my neighbors had shot guns, guess what I'd be going shopping for?

reply to post by mbkennel

Thank you for the reply as well. I used the term antsy as it applies to apprehensive or nervous. Desperate people threaten.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join