It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bought a Gun, Got a Letter from the Attorney General

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DirtyD

It's to reinforce the laws concerning resale so "law abiding citizens" can't get away with selling guns to whoever without background checks and proper paperwork.

Who cares if they mail you a letter? Is it a subpoena? No, then just read it and toss it, or keep it with your gun/ammo.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
What's the big deal?

The government already knows where you live, and clearly knows that you own a gun if you had a background check.
edit on 15-4-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I don't see the problem here. It's not as if you were anonymous prior to to this with all the cross-checking of existing records like driver's license, social security etc that's taken place so this is simply a formal statement that the right to have a firearm comes with responsibilities regarding its storage, use and disposal. Common sense responsibilities that shouldn't require reinforcing but now you can't claim you weren't aware of them or the penalties for non-compliance.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by DirtyD

Looks like a standard letter to me. The sort of routine letter any new gun owner would get.

I don't see a problem with it ?

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by DirtyD

FYI; if anyone purchases a gun and has even a misdemeanor in Oregon, the intentional and artificial backlog is 6 months delay. It would cost me 1000 bucks to removed a misdemeanor from my record (expunge it) there, for something I pleaded no contest to (performing a citizen's arrest against a trespasser is evidently not allowed according the the opinion of Portland pigs).

The Constitution says you can own a gun. Everyone else wants to make sure they're bb guns.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   
You should send them a letter back saying, "I have taken the necessary test to purchase and own my gun. Any form of information sent to my personal home address is unwanted and is perceived as intimidation from the government. I believe that the letter sent to my address is discriminating myself as a gun owner that is very capable of handling a gun."

I dont know i just hate the feeling of "eyes" on you just because you are being responsible citizen by purchasing a gun.
edit on 15-4-2013 by NotAConsumer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Reply to post by benrl

I think you're dealer is jerking you around. It is a 10 day wait for handguns too, but you can only buy 1 every 30 days.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by DirtyD

I wouldn't call this letter a friendly reminder, but it is a reminder/warning. It doesn't read as intimidating. So you took a test that covered this. Ok. What is wrong with a written reminder to reinforce the subject?

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by GreenGlassDoor

I think you're dealer is jerking you around. It is a 10 day wait for handguns too, but you can only buy 1 every 30 days.

Ten days is what I waited. How convenient that the background check also expires after thirty days, which basically equates to a $25 tax on every purchase since that's how much it costs to run the check. Amazing how lucrative public safety can be.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by MrInquisitive

I wouldn't call this letter a friendly reminder, but it is a reminder/warning. It doesn't read as intimidating. So you took a test that covered this. Ok. What is wrong with a written reminder to reinforce the subject?

What's wrong is I don't need a reminder to reinforce the subject, I have already proven to the state that I am competent and lawful. It amounts to needless finger wagging in the face of those who are not part of the problem.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by DirtyD

Just feel safe in knowing that they now know your address, and in the name of safety and protection of the Homeland, that they will easily be able to find you and confiscate your weapon! That is what this whole bunch of garbage, "mmmmmkayyyy guns are bad" is all about.

Once they know who has them and where they live, confiscation will soon follow! History proves it!

What about Australia? They didn't go around confiscating guns, they made laws to assure their citizens would not be prosecuted if they turned in their guns to law enforcement after they (the guns) were criminalized, and they also pay their citizens for turning them in.

History proves it.

edit on 15-4-2013 by HairlessApe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   

edit on 15-4-2013 by Gwampo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by links234

Your second paragraph sounds similar to this fellow.

-Hermann Göring

edit on 15-4-2013 by slugger9787 because: i mispelled the word your this way "yoiur" . my edit was to correct the misspelled word

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Disregard. Star me ats!

Gs

edit on 15-4-2013 by GermanShep because: Edit

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Wow you must be ultra popular to get a letter from the DA about your gun purchase. You must be the top 1% elite/non-criminals. Hahaha.
They didn't even say thank you for paying the fee's on your purchase, or even a congratulations gun owner!

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

sounds like you are from across the sea.
keep your opinions there at home please.

Wino Fiend.
Excess wine damages the delicate composition of the grey matter.

The letter is intimidating not threatening.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by DirtyD

go back and read the several posts in a row of people who said basically the same thing "I dont see it as a problem..."

Looks like this thread was found by a group of activists that want to allay your fears.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   
You do not need a dealer record of sale. What a crock. They are seriously trying to brainwash people these days. Its harder for a law abiding citizen to get a gun then a criminal. Takes a criminal 30 minutes and it takes a law abiding citizen over 24 hours. Maybe longer depends on the state.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
I have no sympathy for anyone who lives in a state, county, city or municipality the infringes upon their Second Amendment rights...

Move... It's that simple...

I have to disagree. Moving would be the cowardly thing to do. People should be fighting for their rights.

That's like telling a bullying victim "Well, you should just change schools kid. Why bother sticking up for yourself?" instead of giving him the courage to go to school and knock the bully flat on his back.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I have seen on the news that CA has been recently going to the homes of people that have been judged with mental disorders or have had a restraining order taken out against them and confiscating their firearms. It also applies to anyone in said household. But they aren't trying to create a database so don't worry...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join